• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What's faster? Snaps or Mooring cover?

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have snap covers now. They are OK but sort of putsy taking on and off.
I'm wondering if the mooring cover is easier to use?
The boat is in a slip that has fingers on each side.

I have both. I use the snaps covers during the Summer as I feel they are easier and quicker to get on and off. For long periods of time I use the mooring cover as it covers more of the boat. As for quickness, it's not a big difference to me. Next boat I will not use the snaps as I don't like the look of them on the side of the boat.

Once you get the hang of a mooring cover, it is fast and easy. If yiunhace an AR or LS model, the tower makes it take longer. If you must install the antipooling poles, it takes longer too. But neither take longer than all those snaps would IMO. But I don't have the bow and cockpit covers to compare. Having to install in a slip, with fenders on the boat as well as the dock lines, now that is a PIA!!! But if it is your slip, you can rig the fenders where they aren't on boat but rather on the slip. Then you only have the dock lines to fool with in combination with the cover.

Last edited:
I like my snap covers and get get them all snapped pretty quickly. I only use the mooring cover for winter storage now.

The mooring cover is definitely faster. on our SX230 it took less than 2 minutes to cover and less than 1 minute to uncover. We have a system of throwing the sides into the center and rolling it up from the rear when uncovering. When covering, we roll it out from front to back, secure it to the cleats and around the tower (after market) and ratchet it tight.

We have not used the new on on the 2015 242 LS yet, but anticipate that it will be even easier since there is only one tower leg to wrap around.

I had snaps for the bow cover that I installed and I can tell you that I made it much too tight so the last few took some effort. Hopefully everyone does not have to fight with tightness and experience this. It made me less likely to use the bow cover because of the anticipated fight. However, I know @Sheboat has the snaps and loves them. When in the water, the snaps are easier to deal with.

I slip my boat. I switched to a snap on cover last year. I find the snap on cover easier to manage and faster to put on than my mooring cover.

The snap covers are nice when you get caught in that quick pop up rain storm in the summer. Put the bow cover on, close the windshield and you have some shelter for the youngins. Then (in my case) throw the camper encluosure up and we stay nice and dry to ride it out.

I have both and use the snap on cover exclusively while in a slip. Before getting it I would do the mooring cover dance on the back to ratchet it down. Not hard to do, but the snap on cover gives easy access to all the cleats and ropes and can be used for just the bow. Putting up the poles, then climbing back over them to put the cover over etc just got annoying, and was something only I could do. Everyone knows how to snap a cover down and is willing to help.

The boat is on anchor 3 months... the snap bow and cockpit cover worked really well... easy exit of the swim platform... some of the snaps take some work initially. Surprisingly water resistant as well.

Probably a bad question but do people tow with the snap on cover? Right now I only have the bow part that I keep in the boat for rain coverage and use the mooring cover when I tow. I was thinking about having the cockpit portion of the snap on cover installed next spring, but only if I can tow with it as the mooring cover is a pain to get on and off in my opinion.

I towed all summer with my snap on cover on. No issues, had a couple snaps come loose once, but that's about it.

I tow with my snap covers as well. On long trips, especially with a lot of highway you may want to tape down the leading edge so the wind doesn't catch it, but I've never had an issue

Have towed with snap on cover for 4 1/2 years. No issues, same cover.

For me, the part that takes the longest is turning everything off and digging out the cover to put it back on. I have had both types of covers and once you get the system down there really isn't much difference.

I don't think there is much difference in time when you take into account setting up the the straps and anti pooling poles for the mooring cover. My boat came with both. The mooring cover started to disinegrate after two years . My sunbrella cockpit cover seems to be much more durable and longer lasting and is all I use now. I did like the mooring cover but just don't think the durability is there for the $ spent

We used the snap cover for first five years and loved how easy it was to get on and off while mooring. We switched to the full cover a couple of years ago and find it is easier and faster to get on and off and love it for the fact that if it is raining the inside of the boat stays dry unlike the snap cover while we are traveling. We kept the snap cover and use it for times when we have it in a slip overnight for ease of getting on and off while in the water. If I bought a new boat today I would probably get the full cover and a snap cover for the bow.

My boat sits on my covered lift.

My old boat had snaps with I was NEVER able to snap each one (it was probably 5 years old when I got it and kept it another 8).

I absolutely love the yammy cover. The shipping cover served me well for one summer and my new deluxe cover was delivered today. I plan to use my shipping cover the 1-2 times per year I tow the boat. I hope to be good for another ten years.

Back