• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What's your routine ?

JUSTAWHALEN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hello there, i'm totally new to the boating world and just bought a brand new 2019 Yamaha SX 190 and today was my 1st maiden voyage with her in the Gulf of mexico, I was just wondering what everybody's routine is when you get your boat home. As soon as i got home I immediately got the hose out, rinsed the boat off, then flushed out the motor with Salt terminator, dried off the boat, fogged the engine, cleaned the interior, let it dry out in the sun for about an hour, then put the cover on, and put it away. Do i need to fog the motor after every time? Do i need to use Salt terminator every time or can i just use regular water? What's your routine?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum :Welcome:. Thank you for introducing yourself. Lots of good info here and very knowledgeable people to help keep you on the water.

You do not need to fog every time; only if the boat will be seating for an extended period of time (more than a couple weeks). Salt terminator is good and should be used every time.

Where do you put in at? The Seminole boat ramp has a hose there (or at least they used too) where you can flush, rinse off the boat and trailer after it's loaded. Otherwise your routine is good.

When I was trailing, I tried to do as much as I could when the boat came out of the water. When I got home I'd give it a quick wipe down (inside and out) put the cover on and put it away.

JUSTAWHALEN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum :Welcome:. Thank you for introducing yourself. Lots of good info here and very knowledgeable people to help keep you on the water.

You do not need to fog every time; only if the boat will be seating for an extended period of time (more than a couple weeks). Salt terminator is good and should be used every time.

Where do you put in at? The Seminole boat ramp has a hose there (or at least they used too) where you can flush, rinse off the boat and trailer after it's loaded. Otherwise your routine is good.

When I was trailing, I tried to do as much as I could when the boat came out of the water. When I got home I'd give it a quick wipe down (inside and out) put the cover on and put it away.
Thanks, for reaching out Dean, We live 5 minutes from the Bellair Causway where they have a great ramp facility, so my boat doesn't have to be exposed to the salt that long. Just wondering about the Salt terminator, seems like a great product but a friend of mine with jetskis tells me that using fresh water to flush is all i need to do, and although salt terminator is good, I don't need to waste my money on it

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks, for reaching out Dean, We live 5 minutes from the Bellair Causway where they have a great ramp facility, so my boat doesn't have to be exposed to the salt that long. Just wondering about the Salt terminator, seems like a great product but a friend of mine with jetskis tells me that using fresh water to flush is all i need to do, and although salt terminator is good, I don't need to waste my money on it
Everybody has opinions. You must decide what is best for you and the boat.

I've been boating in this area for almost 30 years. I have never used a salt remover product. I religiously flush every time I return; no matter what time that is. Never had a problem. The salt products are another tool to fight the war against corrosion. If you already have it, keep doing it. It will help in the long run.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha and welcome to the Gang, ur routine sounds good. Wash and flush down at the ramp, use as much water as u want that’s what ur ramp fees r for. That’s also the best time right when I get out of the water, don’t let the saltwater dry on and in everything. Saltaway and Salt Terminator r great products and relatively cheap considering ur investment of the boat. It’s all about preventative maintenance and longevity. I’m in Hawaii and we deal with corrosion and salt spray everywhere. My ohana(family) and I could be just out for a few hours at the Wailua River and we be washing and flushing our Yammie for 2-3hrs after lol🤣. Take care of it and it will take care of u. Go out there and have a blast and build those lasting memories.🤙🏽

JUSTAWHALEN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
ALOHA, and thank you for reaching out and your advise, Looks like I'm on the right track of keeping my investment in great shape. CHEERS

hokiesax

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Other
What does everyone do to clean interior? If people have been getting in/out of boat then you have a bunch of salt water that has dripped on seats and down through into random other parts. Do you spray down interior?

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After it’s washed I wipe the seats down with 303 and apply spray wax on the outside before I cover the boat.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I wipe down with interior with a microfiber and 303. Goal is to clean the fiberglass and plastic pieces and seats to make it nice for the next boat ride. Haven't spent anytime washing the floors yet as we're boating so often doesn't make it really worth it at the moment.

hokiesax

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Other
I guess I was wondering if anyone does a thorough fresh water spray of the interior to really get salt out of all the cracks/crevices and through the bottom of the boat. And is it bad to do that? I would think it can't hurt except if it doesn't dry out.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I guess I was wondering if anyone does a thorough fresh water spray of the interior to really get salt out of all the cracks/crevices and through the bottom of the boat. And is it bad to do that? I would think it can't hurt except if it doesn't dry out.
I mainly wipe down the seat should salt water get in. If really bad, sure. But normally never gets that bad.

Scarabscott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I completely wash interior of boat with soap and water then rinse and then salt away but leave seats in place. Then let dry for a few hours then go back later and use small wet dry vac and vaccum out resting water from everywhere then wipe seats with boat juice interior, then silicone spray crc the pump and engine. All under the boat house garage aka custom carport with enclosed back wall to block west sun.

isitsummeryet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I completely wash interior of boat with soap and water then rinse and then salt away but leave seats in place. Then let dry for a few hours then go back later and use small wet dry vac and vaccum out resting water from everywhere then wipe seats with boat juice interior, then silicone spray crc the pump and engine. All under the boat house garage aka custom carport with enclosed back wall to block west sun.
Holy shit you do this everytime? How long does this process take? If this was me, it would take me longer to clean the boat than to enjoy it lol

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a wash and wax in my power washer. I’ve never hand washed my boat.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Immediately after getting home, I have a spray reservoir made for lawn sprays attached to my hose. It has a mixture of Dawn,water and vinegar in it. I spray the entire trailer down paying close attention to the suspension, brakes and other moving parts. Then, I fill bucket soapy water (Meguiars wash/wax). Rinse outside of boat, and then start my flush on one engine (with either salt terminator/vinegar/dawn). While the first engine is flushing, I wash one side of the boat.....then switch and flush other motor while washing other side. Rinse boat. Then I unhook the trailer and Jack the front up pretty high while washing the deck and hard surfaces inside. I then dry the entire inside paying special attention to the upholstery. I do not want any water sitting on them. If it's early enough in the day, I go back after letting the inside dry and detail the inside using Hot Sauce on the hard surfaces and either 303 or Condition Sauce on the seats. If it's too late in the day, I'll leave it uncovered and address this the following afternoon. I usually coat the pumps and other items on the trailer with 656 lubricant. If it's going to be more than a week before I use the boat again, I remove the REV10's from the tower and the bimini canvas and store them. I know it sounds like a lot, but the majority of the outside work is done in under an hour by myself. The kids are responsible for emptying the coolers and the wife handles the beach bag. Every few outings I coat the engines with 656.

By the way. This stuff is amazing. First application is done by spraying this on while drying and buffing off. Next application is just spray on while wet and use a pressure washer or hard jet on your hose to rinse off. Leaves the finish slick as glass.
Screenshot_20200520-143036.png

SeanSX190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was just wondering what everybody's routine is when you get your boat home. As soon as i got home I immediately got the hose out, rinsed the boat off, then flushed out the motor with Salt terminator, dried off the boat, fogged the engine, cleaned the interior, let it dry out in the sun for about an hour, then put the cover on, and put it away. Do i need to fog the motor after every time? Do i need to use Salt terminator every time or can i just use regular water? What's your routine?
Holy shit you do this everytime? How long does this process take? If this was me, it would take me longer to clean the boat than to enjoy it lol
OMG. I would never take the boat out if I had to do that much work after.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My boat is salt water use. I flush the motor and unload everything while flushing for a few minutes. Then hose off the boat/trailer, put the cover on, lock the trailer tongue, and go home. Start to finish is maybe 10-15 minutes. Now that my boat is 20 minutes from home, I avoid hosing the interior because I can't put the cover with the inside wet. So now I only clean the interior when it's dirty.

If you stress everything being clean+perfect then it takes away the enjoyment. I doubt salt terminator and fogging oil is going to increase the life of the motor.

Jane305

Reaction score
Boat Make
Grady White
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Cleaning and washing your boat regularly should be part of your routine. I wash my boat with Meguiar's soap after each trip.

jdbakerucf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I boat in salt water mainly my so as soon as I get the boat home I flush the engine. I have a hose attachment that I fill with salt away to flush the engine. Then I wash the trailer and outside of the boat making sure to get the brake and suspension parts really good (use the same wash/wax I do for my cars). Then I use deck cleaner on the inside hard parts and use 303 on the upholstery. I normally put in my headphones listen to music/podcasts and enjoy this time (it’s not a chore if you are having a good time doing it). Normally takes me an hour and a half or so to get everything the way I like before parking it in the garage.