• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Where in the country to buy my New Yamaha

Krabi Sunset

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am located in sunny Thailand.

I will be coming to the US at some point to buy a new Yamaha, probably a 242 LS-E.

As I will be exporting the boat from the US in a container, I have the luxury of buying it anywhere. In theory I could buy it in North Dakota and drive it over to CA for export, if I was being offered a good enough deal.

If I buy it in Oregon do I save by not paying sales taxes?

Can someone also please explain what is a destination charge, and can I somehow not pay it? I have no idea what it is.

Destination charge is the cost for delivery of the boat to come from Yamaha factory to the dealer /state it’s going to

Yeah, you're stuck paying destination charge usually. Sales tax is charged when it is registered, so you shouldn't be paying that.

Destination charge is the cost for delivery of the boat to come from Yamaha factory to the dealer /state it’s going to

So the closer to the factory the dealer is, the cheaper is might be?

Anyone know where the factory is?

The best way to deal with that is to make an out the door offer, in my opinion all those charges added to your purchase are nonsense, smoke and mirrors . When I buy I walk in look for what I want I pay cash so I simply say I will take this one for x amount of money with the 5 year warranty OUT THE DOOR. Then they can take all the fees from the bottom line on their side of the deal and pay them or choose to let you go somewhere else and spend your money.

Also If you are financing the guy doing the F &I is usually trying to add a point or two to your interest rate , it's his job and the dealer gets the surplus interest charge in a lot of cases they make as much or more on the back with F & I ,warranty, credit life, etc than they do on the sale. Just a few tools to help you save on your total expense when buying a boat , Car etc
Also be very aware of SPIFFS, this is where a vendor makes a private deal with a manager or with a sales associate to pay them under the table to push a product on to an unsuspecting customer. It's the best time because they already have your trust and your money.
So if you were talked into say a certain wake board rack and learned that it was not all it was claimed to be or there were better choices for your anchor .
That could possibly be why the part was pushed so hard.
In some states many of these practices are illegal, say for instance a dealer or sales person talks you into purchasing insurance through a particular insurance agency, then he gets paid a spiff under the table for it. So let the buyer Beware!

Last edited:
We drove 1200+ miles from DC to Minnesota to pick up our new 2011 242LS. In my experience proximity to the factory has nothing to do with price. Each year a small handful of dealers decide they want to sell the most new boats and they are the ones who will discount to sell volume. Trust me, I looked at every dealer I could find closer than 1200 miles, but even figuring 8mpg on the way towing home it was worth the trip to pick it up. I could have had it shipped, but I wanted to do an inspection before I was stuck owning the boat. Besides, seeing my wife, who had never towed a trailer before, driving 80 mph in the rain to give me a "break" was priceless. It only took me a couple days to get the color back in my knuckles.

River city boats in Oregon is my local dealer. Great guys...I would highly recommend them. Pm me if you want contact info. @Krabi Sunset

I just bought. 2018 242xe from Fredericksburg motorsports and the salesman’s name was Gaston and he was unbelievable I got a great deal on the boat including five year warranty... His price be five of the dealership I had spoken with ... their dealership is in Fredericksburg Virginia and his number is ‭+1 (540) 903-4741‬

Attachments

• 83496D28-C5CA-4597-A172-37BD0198001A.png
    83496D28-C5CA-4597-A172-37BD0198001A.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
@Krabi Sunset you may want to talk to a freight forwarder before deciding where to buy. The 242 will not likely fit in a container without removing tower and windshield, and then it would have to be shipped on its side. They can ship roll on/roll off, but the cost may vary depending on the port used, which may impact where you want to buy.
Assuming you will use the trailer, you may want galvanized for Thailand, and since it is being shipped by ocean. I've had containerized equipment arrive in SE Asia from the USA already rusty from seawater. Dealers along the coast are more likely to stock galvanized trailers if that matters to you. The land locked dealers typically only offer painted trailers. Good luck!

We drove 1200+ miles from DC to Minnesota to pick up our new 2011 242LS. In my experience proximity to the factory has nothing to do with price. Each year a small handful of dealers decide they want to sell the most new boats and they are the ones who will discount to sell volume. Trust me, I looked at every dealer I could find closer than 1200 miles, but even figuring 8mpg on the way towing home it was worth the trip to pick it up. I could have had it shipped, but I wanted to do an inspection before I was stuck owning the boat. Besides, seeing my wife, who had never towed a trailer before, driving 80 mph in the rain to give me a "break" was priceless. It only took me a couple days to get the color back in my knuckles.

Which dealer in Minnesota did you buy from?

River city boats in Oregon is my local dealer. Great guys...I would highly recommend them. Pm me if you want contact info. @Krabi Sunset

It has been said above by someone "Sales tax is charged when it is registered"
I have started to toy with the idea of buying the boat, getting it run-in and having some fun on some US fresh water lakes for say 1-2 weeks solid... enough time to find any problems with the boat before it is exported. AND then export it.

So if I do that, the last thing I would want to do is buying it in CA, and pay CA sales taxes on it.

@bobbie can you confirm for me that OR boat buyers don't pay sales taxes on boats bought and then registered in OR?

If the above is a yes, then I would love the contact details for River City Boats.

https://www.rivervalleyredwing.com/

The volume dealers seem to shift around year to year, just because they were cutting prices in 2011 doesn't mean they still are in 2018. I only went there once, so I can't speak to their "Service". The purchase experience was only so-so.

Try performance east in Goldsboro North Carolina. They are high volume and will not give you a bs price over the phone.

https://www.rivervalleyredwing.com/

The volume dealers seem to shift around year to year, just because they were cutting prices in 2011 doesn't mean they still are in 2018. I only went there once, so I can't speak to their "Service". The purchase experience was only so-so.

So far RiverValley Rochester MN was my cheapest quote, so it seems RiverValley generally speaking are very reasonable prices.

Try performance east in Goldsboro North Carolina. They are high volume and will not give you a bs price over the phone.

Do you recommend phone for quotes rather than emailing?

Back