• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where is the jack and wrench for the boat trailer

galonuscct

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Brother in law stuck on the side of the road with my boat. He can't find a wrench to take off the bad tire. Is it in the boat somewhere. @HELP

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pretty sure they dont come with one. I carry one in my truck for it.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do newer Yamahas come with toolkits? My SX230 has a bag of tools that may have something big enough for the lugs.

I carry a toolkit with decent tools in the boat.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't get one if they do.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I posted some bad info here before but I just checked and the one for my truck doesn’t fit. It did on my last boat and I guess I forgot and never checked this one. D’oh! Glad I check my tire pressure a lot.
This is a good reminder.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been carrying a floor jack whenever we trailer.

That didn't help me the last time I had a blowout, lol.
It was my "welcome to NJ" - while we were moving - I lost two tires, instantly, slashed by an object on the same side; what a nightmare.

--

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I watched a video once where this guy said NEVER to jack the trailer up while on the side of the road, for safety reasons. He said to carry a couple of 2x6 blocks and roll the good tire up on them, therefore raising the bad tire, if you have dual axles of course.

I plan on taking some scrap 2x6 board, one about 12" long and one 6" long, center them and screw them together. Cover them in a few coats of poly for longevity, and just throw that in the boat somewhere, like where the batteries are. Then carry a foldable 4way jack in the on board toolbox.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Then carry a foldable 4way jack in the on board toolbox.
I've been working on a way to store tools on the trailer for awhile. Still don't have anything worked out. I hate the idea of carrying road tools on the water with me, but honestly it's probably the best location for them.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I watched a video once where this guy said NEVER to jack the trailer up while on the side of the road, for safety reasons. He said to carry a couple of 2x6 blocks and roll the good tire up on them, therefore raising the bad tire, if you have dual axles of course.

I plan on taking some scrap 2x6 board, one about 12" long and one 6" long, center them and screw them together. Cover them in a few coats of poly for longevity, and just throw that in the boat somewhere, like where the batteries are. Then carry a foldable 4way jack in the on board toolbox.
An actual jack might be cheaper than wood these days. 🤦‍♂️

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I had the same thought process, but finally just decided it was easier and less hassle to carry them on board. Boat size makes a difference as far as storage space, but any nook and crannie can be used.

@Maineiac You got me. Who has "scrap wood" these days? I might start whittlin my own toothpicks before long. Use every piece. Lol

My wife always points out fallen trees in peoples yards and says something about getting it and making something. Yeah, how about we make a 4x4 post. Hahaha

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I carry floor jacks orange cones for the street, tire irons, spare hubs and bearings , grease, bearing buddies and lug nuts along with a big compressor on my trailer with a 50 foot air hose and the most important thing SUPER GLUE ,it has saved me more times than I can remember. the last time I was launching a few weeks ago and heard a hissing coming from the left rear tire of my beach wagon tow vehicle commonly called a high top conversion van.
I launched quickly and found a proper area to deal with a nail in the side wall of the tire, I also carry tire patch kits but sidewalls are serious issues, plugs don't work on them and I had to improvise so I put the plug in the tool and soaked it with super glue to push it in the side wall and leave it to dry.
I inflated the tire and it held all the way home AFTER BOATING all day! I removed the tire and replaced it the following day still full of air. You know I watched that tire all the way home praying it would make the trip on the interstate. Another time I had a front left tire valve break from a loose hub cap on the interstate also no less, I pulled over on an overpass with truck flying past me , super glued the valve stem back together as the broken end was still there hanging from the main inner part. pulled out the hose and turned on the compressor, filled the tire and drove home without issue. A little ingenuity solves a lot of problems and saves a lot of time.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I had the same thought process, but finally just decided it was easier and less hassle to carry them on board. Boat size makes a difference as far as storage space, but any nook and crannie can be used.
Yea, I think that's where I'm headed. Harbor Freight has a small plastic toolbox for $11. Big enough to hold a bottle jack, 4-way collapsing lug wrench, and a few basic hand tools. Enough to avoid calling roadside assistance in the event of a blowout or minor mechanical issue, but not so much I'm duplicating an entire home workbench worth of tools.

Chatting online with a buddy this morning. He suggested throwing a few pairs of nitrile gloves, a flashlight, and a cheap umbrella in there as well. Said it might make a miserable situation just a little more bearable. Think I might include emergency Advil as well at that rate :D

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve never purchased a new or used boat / pwc with a Jack and lug wrench.

In a pinch you can use your tow vehicle’s scissor Jack under the axle/leaf spring of the flat tire but may need to place it on a block of wood. If you are near a curb or parking block you may be able to park the good tire in that side on it so the flat is suspended. If the lug wrench that came with your tow vehicle does fit your trailer tires your still screwed, a $7 generic “t” style wrench with 4 lug would do the trick.

It’s too late to purchase road side assistance now but consider doing so with Boat U.S.

In the interim if you don’t want to spend a lot of money and you can safely/easily get to walmart or auto parts store, make a run for a cheap lug wrench and floor jack.

I’ve had plenty, too many, opportunities, to change a flat tire trailer tire on the side of the road so am well prepared to do so now. I carry what I need in the storage box of my pwc trailer a tool box in my suv (what I use to to the boat with). I will post pics later.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been working on a way to store tools on the trailer for awhile. Still don't have anything worked out. I hate the idea of carrying road tools on the water with me, but honestly it's probably the best location for them.
I put this on my old boat. Worked great. If I was doing it again, I would try to go a little smaller on the box and see if I could make a top load work. Couldn’t keep the water out of this one. I ended up putting a 4-5” shelf of treated lumber in it, then my plastic totes on top of the shelf. Couple of blocks went under it. And, since I couldn’t keep the water out around the door, I drilled a hole in the bottom to let it drain better. Used it for a year and never had any problem with the wood staying wet. Small floor jack and all the tools were in the green tote.

638E724E-EECD-478A-BAA6-D86DFAD5FBB3.jpegD770AFD8-5828-4705-8A44-EE326B48CA51.jpeg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One other thing that anyone with a dual axle trailer should consider keeping handy is a heavy duty trailer strap. This is what saved my boating / camping weekend when one of the bearings on my trailer failed due to lack of grease and eventually the tire detached from the trailer on the way to the water. For clarification, I used it to keep the suspension of the missing tire from scrapping the ground until I got to my destination (about 30 miles away and as it turned out 100 miles home, when neither aaa or boat u.s. could help me that weekend).
1C585347-AF8C-4DEA-BD52-5700F9E12B4D.png747E70C6-7148-4A05-AE9E-70541ED7E234.png

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I found this tool box at Home Depot and the fold out box at Costco. Between the two I carry everything I need where trailer towing emergencies are concerned and it all fits behind the third row seats.
405823FC-4EEA-4547-AC58-E25E9EE25C2E.jpeg3A8F060A-59E9-4366-86BC-566A8E640E2C.jpeg23289411-DE61-44A2-BD54-E8BA88ED01A7.jpegB22DC19F-4955-4E64-8A2E-CDD20DF550B0.jpeg

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yea, I think that's where I'm headed. Harbor Freight has a small plastic toolbox for $11. Big enough to hold a bottle jack, 4-way collapsing lug wrench, and a few basic hand tools. Enough to avoid calling roadside assistance in the event of a blowout or minor mechanical issue, but not so much I'm duplicating an entire home workbench worth of tools.

Chatting online with a buddy this morning. He suggested throwing a few pairs of nitrile gloves, a flashlight, and a cheap umbrella in there as well. Said it might make a miserable situation just a little more bearable. Think I might include emergency Advil as well at that rate :D
Nitrile gloves? That's rich people stuff these days. Probably better to get some leather ones.

Good thread though. Part of me is thinking about getting one of those medium sized Plano boxes and mounting it to the trailer for straps, lug wrench, Jacks, etc.