• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

which boat

Jack L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello all, I'm am looking at new boats and thinking about a Yamaha AR 240. I've never owned a PWC or a jet powered boat. I have watched many videos boattest, and others......and read a bit of material. Is the sound level as low as they say it is and how are they around the dock? any input would be greatly appreciated.
Jack

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are you looking at buying new or used? Answers will vary depending on the year you are considering.

Boattest measures the sound using a db meter, so it is what they say it is. These boats are not as quiet as your typical IO/OB, but they get closer every year.

Handling a jet boat is different than other boats. I never have trouble around a dock unless the wind is blowing - the bimini on my boat acts like a sail!

Jack L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am looking at new. I'm a little confused on going with Yamaha, Scarab or Chaparral.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is a common and valid question. Few people have had both, but there is a lot of existing discussion. If you browse past posts you will see a lot.

When are you looking to buy? 2019 brings some new options.

Best of luck on your search!

Jack L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks. I'm looking to buy end of this year early next. Might wait until show season to look at different models in 1 place?

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey Jack,

+1 on Julian’s comments, I can only speak from experience with Yamaha’s, so can’t comment on others.

They aren’t silent but I have no complaints, when putting around We can chat at normal volumes, if doing water sports we can all still communicate easily enough, and my hearing is notoriously bad to start with.

Around the dock is interesting, so I’ve never driven anything but a jet and currently have no aftermarket devices to help around the dock. Honestly, I have no complaints, I almost always get compliments about my docking, I can come in with a bit of speed, stop on a dime and if needed slide myself sideways without much trouble. I honestly think that I can probably dock the jet better than I would be able to a prop boat. The ability to go in and out of neutral/reverse without a transmission helps a bunch!

Will admit wind on the Bimini does make it harder, but I doubt that’s limited to jet boats, I just try my best to use the wind to my advantage.

As for which brand, I have had two Yamaha’s. I love the layout, the engines ar generally reliable and accessible, the aftermarket community is great, and the great folks on this site can’t be beat. They do help to make for a great ownership experience.

Best advice is to look for a local dealer who will support you, whichever boat you purchase, if new, you will need a dealer that puts an emphasis on great customer service.

I like that the Yamaha engines and Yamaha boats are tied together so there is never a disagreement, also at this point most Yamaha dealers are more established and familiar with jets, many chap or scarab dealers are still learning their way around brp engines (though with a few years under their belt now that is quickly changing)

A few other things, we have only needed to use the clean out ports once, but without them I would have been swimming.... and this was an early season ride so I’m glad I got to avoid getting wet. I really like the layout and space of the Yamaha’s. I have also really appreciated the reliability, and ability to control each engine independently when needed.

Hope those thoughts help, either way buy the boat that feels good to you from the dealer you trust, get out on the water and have fun!

Good luck

Jack L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks Whisky. I am leaning toward the Yamaha, and will most likely go with this brand. I have seen pricing all over the place. 2018 AR240 for 53,900 at a local dealer with an upgrade to a galvanized trailer. Any thoughts on pricing?

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry, not much help on pricing here, I’m up in Canada so between tariffs and exchange I’m drooling over the magical prices down south.

Jack L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
thanks anyway

CraigLombardi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Jack- I cannot comment too much about noise or docking as I just purchased a 2018 242 Limited S. I am always looking for the best pricing though and so I did a LOT of hunting for that cost. For an AR240 the best I could find was $51.5 + taxes. I am not sure where you are located so pricing will vary based on dealer inventory. If you can wait a few months you may be able to get one for less but than you have storage and loan carrying costs while you, potentially, cannot use the boat due to cold weather. If you are in a warm state then weather will not make much of a difference.

Jack L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank Craig, I'm in Connecticut.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good luck on your search.....it does get daunting. I owned a Four Winns I/O for almost 18 years. Great boat. I now own a 2016 (bought new) 242 Limited SE. In my opinion the noise level is just as good, if not better in the Yamaha. Really, the difference I notice is not the db level, but the pitch level. I am running 2 engines at 5-6000 RPM as opposed to one at about 3500. It is a higher pitched sound, but not louder. At cruise speed you can easily carry on a conversation. As for maneuverability, it is very different and takes getting used to. However, I agree with one of the earlier posts that I can maneuver this boat MUCH better than my old I/O. Shifting is so easy, and with practice you can easily do a 360 inside the length of the boat. I have done it and seen some onlookers that were pretty impressed. All the brands are decent. I do agree that Yamaha has been in the jet boat business longer. They have more experience with marine jet engines in boats, and they make their own power systems. One HUGE advantage is the clean outs. I have been able to clear debris in a matter of minutes that would have taken a plunge under the boat, at best, or a slow trip to the ramp to pull the boat out of the water.

Jack L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the info.