• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which do you put more time and effort into, boats or cars? Why?

Which do you put more time and effort into, your boat or car, and why?

• Total voters

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I enjoy working on and using my boat very much but lately I've been spending more time on the car and not only wondering why that is but how my fellow boaters feel about it. I consider both "luxury" items in that I could do without them (I only need one car and this is a spare).

1. Frequency of use doesn't seem to matter to me, although I could drive the car every day where as I don't have the option to do that with the boat.
2. The fact that the car fits in the garage is huge, I can work on it at night instead of just when the weather is right.
3. There are a lot more mods available for the car and they seem to be a lot cheaper as well. The best example that comes to my mind are aftermarket air filters. For the boat three companies make them and they are all about $100 each. I just bought a short dual ram air induction system for the car for $50 an aftermarket reusable air filter is about the same price.

Little things I've noticed:
The boat really prepared me for the car. They are both open air vehicles but the car was easy to get used to driving with the top down because of my boating experience. I wouldn't be so willing to wrench on the car if I didn't get some experience on boats first. My son loves the car, my wife hates it. I get more worked up about possible damage to the car than the boat. I've already hand washed the car 5 or 6 times in the three months I've owned it (I tried taking it through the car wash once, never again, lots of leaking around the windows). I doubt I've washed the boat that many times in the three or so years I've owned it.

Last edited:

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat. A car is a mode of transportation to me, not an enjoyment. If I need to work on a vehicle too much, I sell it and get something that I don't.

Now, my current ride is a 2013 F150. I have done a few mods to it... a hard folding tonneau cover, added a solenoid to the tailgate so it locks when I lock the vehicle, a customized grill to protect the intercooler, and I'm in the process of adding a dashcam to it in order to catch "interesting" events on the road and possibly catch hit-and-run sleazeballs at the local Wal-Mart. I will likely get aftermarket wheels and tires when it's due, and I'm not sure if I'll do a leveling kit or a lift... but if I do, I'll have a shop do it to make sure everything lines up properly.

But although I love it, I don't enjoy my truck as much as my boat. I see no reason to get a newer model of my boat, I'd rather upgrade what I have and keep it meticulously maintained. I'm not that attached to my truck.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Boat. I love my truck but my truck takes me to work. I don't want to go to work! My boat takes me to far better places with people I like spending time with more.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used to love cars, jeeps, trucks, etc. These days, not so much although a Manx buggy might be cool. I wash my boats after every use.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat. Only because I can't afford both a toy car and boat. If I had a toy car it would probably even out.

I WAS spending a lot of time on my Suburban, but that was just repairing it to keep it on the road!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
WUT's a "car" ??????????????????????????????

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Car, no question. I have way too many "toy" cars though...

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why isn't there a "motorcycle option"? Where is the "Motorhome" option? I think I have too many toys.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I voted for both only because I have already put a ton of work into my truck (see my signature) as it is not just a source of transportation for me but also a source of enjoyment. Driving something with over 500 HP and over 1000 lb ft of torque is just way too much fun.

But the boat gets a lot of attention this time of year, and will be getting a few electronics installs in the near future. I don't however plan to do any engine modifications on the boat, just electronics.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I almost put both, but right now the boat is winning out, I think. So many mods, so little time...

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know exactly what you are going through Ronnie. At least I think I do.
And I'd have to throw in motorcycles and the RV. It seems like I move from one to the other. Non-stop.......:oops:

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I marked equal time. I enjoy working on the boat for sanity. I also have a fleet of 4 cars for the family, note that none of them are fun cars. I spend too much time on them making sure my girls aren;t tearing them up as they tend to be hard on the equipment... :banghead:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I spend as much cleaning time on my Mustang as I do my boat, so I put both.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Both..I love all my toys. I always go with the thought of treat your cars, boats, other toys as you would a woman. Treat her bad and she will be bad to you. Treat her with love and attention and she will return 10 fold in return.

Jimonthebeach

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat. I'm new to boating. Had cars for half a century. And.......................my cars are sorted just fine, thank you.

T and J.JPG

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Car for me. I love boats, but a car is where it's at for time and effort. I am trying to just buy a boat that doesn't need much modifying.

My cars/trucks:
2011 f450 Lariat ultimate
2003 twin turbo cobra mustang
1993 mustang gt (restored)
1997 mustang cobra (race car/sold)

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spend more time on the boat. Having a company car made me relax more about taking care of a car. My jeep was a great option and I looked at it as a boat that I could drive everyday. If you do t have a jeep, get one

craigm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat. I love my truck but my truck takes me to work. I don't want to go to work! My boat takes me to far better places with people I like spending time with more.
Agree totally.
This is my thought too, well said.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat. During the heat of the summer the boat is getting the attention use. It's just too dang hot to camp in July, August, and September in Texas. During the fall, winter and early spring the boat sits usually and we camp to enjoy the nice weather. The truck is a toy as well, but it's also a workhorse to move our other toys around and our family truckster. It's moded a little and I spend time keeping it clean and maintained.