• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which model Yamaha Jet Boat is the best for Surfing?

JustAddH2O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am in the market for a Jet Boat to be used primarily for surfing. I really like the layout of the Yamaha line of Jet Boats so I was wanting to know if anyone had any suggestions on which model would be the best?

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
First...WELCOME!! :Welcome: This is a great place! As you can see by my Avatar and Sig, I no longer have a Yamaha. But this place is full of great people and is full of a lot of information (not just jets) and hence why I am still here :)

Back to your question. You left a lot of details out that would help answer your question(s). What is your budget, are you looking at new or used, where do you boat, whats the family size, is surfing your ONLY goal as you stated...and I am sure there are a ton others I have forgot as well.

This is a Yamaha (primarily) forum so I won't go into too much detail as there are others here that will give you enough information to make your head spin. You you can surf them, it just takes some work and money and lots of ballast. To be fair, the dedicated tow boats designed for surfing and wakeboarding require a lot of ballast as well, they are just able to hide it better. The major "downfall" of the Yamaha (in my opinion) for surfing is its number one selling point, the swim platform. There is no place to hide ballast.

Be prepared for lots of answers and help :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yamaha 212x
Chaparral 223 (?) Vrx wake edition.

Add wake wedge to yamaha.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Absolutely consider the Wake Wedge to shape the wave in your final budget.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine!image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No...mine!!

image.jpeg

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@buckbuck . Not fair...you fill your boat with the equivalent of the von Trapp family

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
:) Sadly some of our crew has moved away to start their own lives. But it is relatively easy to adopt more kids on the fly. It is probable I will have an all girl crew at Shelbyville. Not so good for surfing but it will be fun.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As everyone has said Yamahas can be made to surf and they all put out a good wake WITH the right tools. Ballast and Wake Wedge are a must ( @bobbie yours doesn't count because it is a freak of nature and I haven't ever seen that before after we suggested what weight to run for you. ) Like @CFD3Captain said you are leaving out a lot. What are some of the other activities that you plan to do, what size of groups will you be taking with you? Are you going to give up storage space for ballast bags so most of the ballast can be hidden?

20140801_082209.jpg

Last edited:

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Was always partial to the 230's wake surfing wave back in the day we were all running around in circles (before the wake wedge came along)! ;)

@CFD3Captain, @jcyamaharider and others are right on. What do you currently have and how do you use it? What do you wish it had? It think its always easier to buy the NEXT boat rather than the 1st boat, because you have some kind of frame of reference to make decisions from.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
good topic of discussion. I am also torn on this issue. On one hand I like what Yamaha offers as far as layout and set up for general boating. On the other, I'm afraid that I will wished I had a wake/surf boat on down the road when my son gets a little older. I don't like the idea of having bags laying around on the seat, on the floor, on the swim platform, and the stern of the boat under water when not moving in order to get good wave. I am trying to weigh the pro's and cons between an AR240/limited 242 and a Moomba Mojo. One of these two options will more than likely be the boat I go with. If Yamaha, I hope it will make a good enough wave if we decide to try surfing.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good enough is subjective. How about this, we could happily surf hands free with a good amount of ballast on a Yamaha AR230 before Wake Wedge was even invented, we just had to do it in circles. @bobbie is somehow immune to physics when it comes to this. Add some ballast, add a Wedge and go surf in a straight line all day with a pretty nice looking wave on a Yamaha.

Now, at the risk of flames - if you want something with much more automation straight out of the box, and much more adjust-ability to the wave, the ability to store rider profiles, etc...go with a decent wake boat. You'll lose some ride quality, probably lose some top speed, you won't be comfortable beaching on a sandbar, all of your ballast will be under the seats but you'll lose a lot of storage that way (unless you buy a big ole monster wake boat). Oh, and you can only back up to the right. Still love every minute of it, but we surf 85% of the time.

I am trying to weigh the pro's and cons between an AR240/limited 242 and a Moomba Mojo. One of these two options will more than likely be the boat I go with. If Yamaha, I hope it will make a good enough wave if we decide to try surfing.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I couldn't agree with @007 even more. And for those reasons is why that our family doesn't have a wake boat. We love sand bar camping and taking long cruises. This is about 65% of our time. Also another big factor for us is the head compartment on our boat. With kids, we love the ability of having a head. There were a few times when we were fully ballasted up and they HAD TO GO!! :confused: Not getting to the dock fast with ballast. At the time, fill times were very slow.

Yamahas can be made to do what you want them to do, you just have to either do it yourself, or pay someone to do it. But a completely hidden and fast ballast system is an option. There are disadvantages though. Storage is sacrificed.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@007 @jcyamaharider The willamette river in that stretch is pretty narrow. Jerry...you've seen it...you think that's why I'm able to get such a killer wake with just ballast??

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm not helping here but my struggle is I can get a brand new Axis A20 for 55. Which might I add will actually still fit in my garage (as this is where I currently store my boat in the summer) with the tower folded and the swim platform removed (this is just 2 pins to pull out similar to a hitch pin). At this point if they don't bring back the AR210, or make a smaller twin engine boat in a affordable package I am leaning towards the Axis.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I think this thread was created just to get members stirring. The OP hasn't logged back in since the posting (2 weeks ago) :facepalm:

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think this thread was created just to get members stirring. The OP hasn't logged back in since the posting (2 weeks ago) :facepalm:
That said , every one saw what me and @jcyamaharider did with my old 210 , just wait till we get going on the 240 !!!!! :) !!!!!

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If I was buying a Yamaha right now I would go with the AR240 as I think the 212x is too close in price. However I am reluctant to go that big. I can easily tow it, I'm just not certain I want/need that big of boat.