• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which Polk speakers are in the 2015 AR240?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trying to get the specs on the factory speakers for power handling. I want to add a 4 channel amp and 2 tower speakers and use the amp to control the tower speakers when I want them on or off by fading front and rear. I want to make sure that the factory speakers can handle whichever amp I get without blowing up.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe they are Polk db651 speakers.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, Polk db651's in the 2015 242 (only). Great upgrade to JL Audio MX650's. Even without an amp addition the sound quality changes, perceptibly !
Hey ! Wishing everyone a really "decent" day out there, as even North Georgia's gonna get a bit covered in snow (altho' Lake Oconee is excluded - darned).

Last edited:

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The 242 Limited/S come with Polk DB651 speakers & AR/SX 240 come with standard marine grade speakers.

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just be aware, all of these audio manufacturers make various levels if speakers from entry level to quality high fidelity. Many times, the difference isn't so much in visible differences, it is in construction. The stock audio speaker in the 2014 and later 242 is an "entry level" Polk, the DB651. This is a huge improvement from the earlier stock speakers...but it is entry level. If your sold on Polk Audio, consider their mm651um. It is a much better speaker and on par with the JL MX 650.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you're saying the Polk 651 isn't as good as the JR MX650?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Never mind the JL Audio fan boys that are too old to hear the music without serious amplification/wattage :eek::eek:, the amplified Polk DB651 does a nice job. Truth be told, if I wanted to quadruple the cost of my stereo I would do the JL too with some Samson tower speakers... Life is all about choices, and my wallet won't let me make that choice even though it is undeniably the best option!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So you're saying the Polk 651 isn't as good as the JR MX650?
Not even half as good. Don't get me wrong, it is a big step up from the seaworthy crap that used to be stock. But it is not half the speaker of is big brother the mm651um, that is as good as a JL MX 650.

Hey @jawsf16 , noise isn't for us old guys, we like to hear the actual music! ;)

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok @MikeyL you need to chime in because it sounds like you say the JL speaker isn't as good as the Polk.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok according to Polk it seems the stock speakers are good for 60 watts continuous. Is this a good idea for adding tower speakers or should I just get a 2 channel amp for the tower and a power switch for when I want to use them.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
"Never mind the JL Audio fan boys that are too old to hear the music without serious amplification/wattage"

"Ok @@MikeyL you need to chime in because it sounds like you say the JL speaker isn't as good as the Polk."

I didn't want to say anything because it's obvious I'm one of the old guys.

Last edited:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
By the way, more people outta listen to Mel ( @txav8r ). He knows what he's talking about.

Hey ! At least all Lake Oconee has now is rain. Tons of it .... but no snow ! Yea !~!!

Last edited:

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Not even half as good.
I second what Mel said.

If your upgrading the stock speakers I would go with JL all the way. My stock DB651 speakers sounded alright but nothing like my JL MX650's

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok I need to clarify. I'm just looking at adding tower speakers and an amp. I was told to get a 4 channel amp and use 2 channels to control the in boat speakers and the other 2 to control the tower. That way you can turn off the tower speakers by using the fade. I needed to know what the stock speakers would handle for power so as to not blow them up with too big and amp. Instead I'm leaning towards just a 2 channel amp for the tower with a separate power switch just to turn the amp on and off when not using the tower. The dealer wants $1100 to install some icon 8's and a low end amp. The icons look great but the JBL amp not so much. Also thinking the icons may be a tad bit overkill. $800 for a pair of speakers???

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The AR240 doesn't come with Polk speakers. It comes with standard marine grade speakers. I'm not sure their make and model, to speak to what they can handle. As for tower speakers you can't go wrong with either Wet Sounds or JL. They're both on the high end of cost but you get what you pay for.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was told the new 15's came with Polk head unit and speakers.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Polk head unit but not speakers. Just the 242 limited/s come with polks speakers.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, now I have to rethink everything!!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If the 210/212/240, '15's don't have the db651's, just change them, because the seaworthy speakers are just paper and won't make a season without degrading, and won't accept much power at all.