• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which to buy: sx192 vs sx195

tonyvt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hello Jetboaters,

I'm completely new to the forum and hope I'm not starting a duplicate thread. I'm looking for a little help with my buying decision.

I am trying to decide between a used 2015 sx192 (about 70 hours on it) and a new 2017 sx195. The price difference is about 10K, which is obviously significant. I won't get a chance to drive either one before buying.

The 192 is appealing because I wouldn't take the depreciation hit if I try to sell in a few years and the 195 is appealing because of the upgraded engine/supercharger, articulating keel, new clean-out plug, and a 3 year warranty.

As far as the features:
  • Engine- I've read about the differences and am aware of the "heat soak" issue. The new engine would probably be my biggest motivation to go with the 195. From what I gather the power increase is significant and the heat soak issue is gone.
  • Articulating keel- I am aware that a lot of people add the fins and have also read that the articulating keel on the 19 foot boats isn't quite as big of an improvement as it is on the larger boats and is more of a rudder with the keel not running the length of the boat. Low speed handling is definitely a concern.
  • Clean-out plug- there's a new design and I've read that the old ones can blow out
  • Warranty- the used 192 (with 70 hours) doesn't have one vs 3 years on the new 195. How long do these supercharged engines last anyway?
I expect that a lot of replies to be around how much I'll use it and how long we'll keep it. We do live in Vermont, so it will be summer only, and we have 3 kids (ages 2, 4, and 7). We also have a cabin on a small lake in the Adirondacks and live very close to Lake Champlain. The plan is to keep it half of the summer in VT and trailer to lake Champlain and then keep it the other half of the summer docked at the cabin. I intend to keep the boat 5-10 years, but am predicting the kids might want a wake boat once they get a little older. I also have to consider possibly wanting something bigger as the kids get bigger.

I guess the high level question is, do the new features justify the $10k and do you all think that the prices of the 192s will suffer once used 195s start hitting the market?

Thank you in advance for any and all responses

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you previously owned a boat? Will you be doing most of the work on the boat or having a mechanic do the work? If you haven't owned a boat and plan on doing your own work, I'd lean towards the used boat. I know a lot of the people here will tell you to look for a used 21', buy your second boat first.

tonyvt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Have you previously owned a boat? Will you be doing most of the work on the boat or having a mechanic do the work? If you haven't owned a boat and plan on doing your own work, I'd lean towards the used boat. I know a lot of the people here will tell you to look for a used 21', buy your second boat first.
Thanks Chuckbig
Yeah, we currently have one, it's an old 20' Bayliner with a smokey 2 stroke outboard that barely runs. I was thinking that there wouldn't be much work to be done on it with either option, but if it comes down to it I'll be sending it to the shop. I've seen a few posts talk about getting the 21 twin engine. I thought about that, but it won't fit in my garage and it might force me to get a bigger tow vehicle (also in the market for something to tow it with). There is a 2008 sx210 for almost $20k less than the new 195. Reliability is a big one for me and I am a little concerned about having 2 older engines to maintain, I want something I know I can just toss the family or a couple friends in and go. A few years of dealing with that Bayliner taught me that much...

tonyvt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
For a price difference of 10 grand, go with the 192.
It does seem like the smarter move. I'm having a tough time deciding. I want my wife to be comfortable driving/trailering it too. Do you have the fins on your 192, how's the tracking?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

The 195 engine upgrades improved both the performance and the efficiency.

Used Yamahas are quite reliable so you are unlikely to go wrong any way to go.

Personally I bought a 2007 SX230 in 2013 and taken her across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas and back three times with plans to continue doing so on the old twin engines;)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is a tough one.
I would probably go with the 195, given the 10k difference and 2-3 years.
(I can not believe I'm saying this, but there you go. I have had few different boats over the years, always used, always made fun of people buying new... Then - last year - I go and buy a brand new one. Love it. Go figure, lol. )
Have you considered the AR? As far as value, but you will also like the tower with the kids etc.
These boats are different, so I would make sure you get in one before pulling the trigger. You have obviously done your homework! But do get in one and give it a spin. Chances are you will love it. But what if you don't!

--

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It does seem like the smarter move. I'm having a tough time deciding. I want my wife to be comfortable driving/trailering it too. Do you have the fins on your 192, how's the tracking?
I have added the thrust vector and would highly recommend this upgrade for any rudderless Yamaha.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would have a hard time buying a 192 with the 195's available. In my opinion one of the bigger things that I don't think was mentioned above is the 195's have a larger pump!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have no complaints with my AR192. It will pull more than 225+lbs out of the water no problem. It's plenty fast for everyday boating. It's a little bit of a pig on gas, but this isn't a distance cruiser. I would say I probably go through half of the 30 gal tank on a long afternoon of water sports so that's with a lot of hard, full throttle runs. I would DEFINITELY steer you towards the AR's though with the kids. You are going to want to be the cool dad anyway (not saying you aren't, but the tower makes you cooler!). The tower is a must for wakeboarding. The bench seat is also way more practical. My wife likes it because (when she lets me drive) she can stretch out on the port side like a sun pad. I like it because you can seat more people in the boat without feeling as cramped and the space underneath is really handy for stashing sandals, life jackets, bags, coolers, etc.

The heat soak issue can be fixed by adding an SVHO intercooler. It's a direct bolt-on swap besides the need to add an additional output line and you can often find them on Riva's ebay store for about $200 brand new. If you have some basic mechanical ability you should be able to handle the swap on your own. You might hear about timing chain issues on some of the boats but I believe that was fixed for the 2015 model year with beefed up parts.

There is definitely a learning curve to driving the jet drive, but don't let yourself be discouraged. It didn't take me long to get the hang of it, my wife not too much longer than me, and now I like the maneuvering abilities so much more than an IO or outboard. The trick is learning to use frequent, but small pulses of the throttle in slow speed maneuvering. Remember, there is no transmission to beat up on here so you don't need to worry about to much frequent shifting. I do have the Thrust Vector fins, but I honestly don't think I would need them anymore. They do probably help off-throttle tracking some though. I've never driven the boat without them.

Whichever boat you decide, welcome to the family.

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the 195 have a premium fuel requirement? If it does, will it pose an issue with your local gas docks?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2016 192 with the articulating rudder and it does fine for low speed. It recovers fairly well stock IMO.

195 takes premium only where as you can run 87 in the 192. Where I live that's a 30 cents per gallon increase at the pump which would add up. For me the biggest thing I wished I had from the 195 is the 160mm pump as I think that adds a bigger advantage than the larger supercharger wheel. With the 192 you will likely want to upgrade and get the SVHO intercooler or aftermarket intercooler to deal with the heat soak at some point. Most of us paid around $150-200 for the SVHO intercooler so it's not that expensive of a fix for the heat soak.

I know you're looking at SX but a tower does help in all sorts of ways. Resale, water sports, speaker and light mounting options, looks, serves as a nice towel hanging rack lol, etc. I prefer the towers than the larger Bimini with straps.

Last edited:

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Buy a dual engine 21+ footer or get a true wakeboard boat with an inboard V8. You're welcome.

This is coming from the owner of a 15' AR192

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buy a dual engine 21+ footer or get a true wakeboard boat with an inboard V8. You're welcome.

This is coming from the owner of a 15' AR192
I would had said the same thing, however if storage and towing is a consideration - you have got to do what you have got to do.

Now, a decision between a 2-3 yo 192 and a new 195 - that is hard! The difference could be worth way more than 10k or way less. It just depends. One could write a book.

Premium gas requirement for 195 is not iron clad, many jet skis run SVHO on regular, I wouldn't - but just to be fair.

I would definitely consider the tower. As far as mods, well, I'm not going to go there.

(LOL, But you will need fins for either, and you want cobras if more traditional feel and water sports are more important than maybe looks, and a SVHO intercooler for the 192).

--

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I bought a 16. Cheaper same boat just different engine. But I just found out the 195 takes premium so that would be a red flag for me. Only a fed marinas have premium around me and we'll it's a boat and sucks fuel so it is a concern. If I felt mine has heat soak I would buy a used or new intercooler and be done with it.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
If you are willing to do the intercooler swap, there isn't much downside to the 192. The boat is great for 2 adults and a few kids. If you plan on having 4 adults or more regularly, you will be wishing you had a bigger boat.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I agree with @SamCF . As long as you have no more than 4 or 5 people you will be fine with a 19ft. A intercooler upgrade on the 192 is a must have in my opinion. I agree with @swatski I think I might go for the 195 to have the bigger intercooler and pump. I know it has to feel like a beast on the water. For resale value and fun factor I would have to go with an AR for the tower also. We love the tower on ours. Either way man your going to get a great boat!

WildBillF1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I don't have aftermarket fins on my 192. Mine is a 2016 though, so it's the first year with the articulating keel. Thrust Vectors or Cobra's are inexpensive if you want fins. Best of luck on whichever boat you decide on, and most important, post up some pics after you make the purchase.