• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Who wants to give me a set of brains

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a Yamaha Jetboat owner, but looking to purchase my first jet ski/waverunner and no very little about them. I am hoping the folks here could direct me toward an appropriate model(s). I have always heard Yamaha's are the most reliable and used in rental fleets. Because I own a 2011 AR240, it might be my first preference to go with a Yamaha with the 1.8, but I can easily be directed in another direction. This will be use on Lake Ontario by both adults and a couple of young teenagers. It will not be abused or driven 60-70 mph. I would like something powerful enough to pull a tube and probably a 3-seater. I intend to buy a low-hour, fresh water pre-owned machine (thinking 2010 or newer) but could be convinced to go new if there is good value. My budget is $6-10k for used and would go a little higher for new, but I don't plan to go top of the line and drop $15k. The thing that matters most to me is that it is bullet-proof reliable and stable/easy to use.

Another question I have is on usage. New York has changed the laws so any operator has to take a boater safety course. I actually like this so everybody and their brother won't be hopping on this thing. Am I correct in assuming that if you let a person who has not taken the safety course use the ski and there is an accident that you will have a liability/insurance issue?

Thank you for the help.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
FX HO Cruiser, no question. I had the exact same wants as you, started with a VXR, and ended up with 2 of these. Not sure what year they started adding R.I.D.E., but I'd definitely hunt one with it. If frequently riding 2up or more, I'd be budgeting for 2 skis. My boat gets very little usage now. 10k should net you a pair of 07's (no R.I.D.E. Though) , but if your search goes like mine, it's gonna be super hard to find them not all beat up. That's how we ended up with new ones. Don't regret a thing.

I should add, the VXR is an amazing ski, but with long river runs, Bimini, etc... I really wanted the better seat and cruise control (and all the other small features). For just runabout use, the VXR (or even non cruiser FX) would treat you just fine and I doubt you'd have any regrets.

Should also add, minus the early supercharged seadoo (even them with the washer upgrade), most of these machines are super dependable from what I've researched.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a FX HO Cruiser like @veedubtek. I've also owned a Sea Doo GTR. Appearance wise, I've always thought the Sea Doo's looked better but again that's just an opinion. I do find it funny that you have a couple of young teenagers but don't think they'll be abused. Whatever you buy they'll have it wide open day 1 just as soon as they get out of your sight:)

The FX has every possible option you could want (tilt bars, no wake mode, cruise control, variable trim, etc.). Do you need all of those, probably not, but it's nice to have. It handles chop well and would be equivalent to the S3 Hull Sea Doo offers. I think the 2015+ Yamaha VX/VXR hulls are equivalent to that of Sea Doo's GTI hulls. They'll bounce around on rough chop more but are still very fun.

If going with Yamaha, I would stick to 2015 models and newer for the Ride technology. I really like the Ride technology and wouldn't want another ski without the equivalent. All the newer Sea Doo 3 seaters will have their equivalent called IBR. Both systems function well IMO.

My only suggestion would be to get 2 if you can make it work. If you don't you'll want another one soon.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the FX HO, non cruiser, only difference is the seat, and pop out cleats, I believe as I have trim control, cruise control tilt etc. Ski does great towing tubes, tons of power doesn't have the top end like a supercharged model but still 55ish per GPS is awesome anyways! Great in chop and comfortable 2 up but 2 skis is always better. I am mostly ICW and open ocean so this helps a lot. Great gas usage as long as I'm not running wide open.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you gentleman. It seems like the FX HO is a winner and I will be looking for two.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Regarding the NYS law, I believe anyone that operates a PWC must have a safety course or otherwise be accompanied by someone 18+ with a safety certificate. You must carry the certificate at all times.

I also read you cannot operate one under the age of 14. Check with with the Coast Guard and NYS laws to confirm.

Ryan Cassidy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd encourage the new VX Cruiser HO. Good compromise in features and performance. I bought two of the 2016's earlier this year and love them. Easy to maintain.. same motor as the boats! :) You can pick them up for a tad under $11k pretty easy I believe. but I know that's a bit over your budget.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure if you are done with this, but I would recommend the Kawasaki Ultra LX's, then Yamaha anything with Sea Doo as a non-choice. (not trying to piss off Sea Doo owners) I've owned watercraft of many models and brands for the last 30+ years, and that is the order of my experience. Both for reliability, and servicing when needed.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I originally wanted to purchase a ski with the 1.8, but I found a great deal on a brand new 2015 V1 Sport with an aluminum trailer for $8,500 OTD including TT&L. Pretty much the only option I wanted was the reverse bucket which the V1 sport has. Also, after talking to some folks that rent waverunners, they prefer the MR1 over the 1.8's. Both for reliability and cost to maintain. I ended up going new because used ones hold their value more than I thought and I found myself looking at skis 4+ years old with the MR1 that were only a couple grand less than a brand new one. I can get my ski up to 50-55 which is more than enough for a family ski. Deals are out there, especially since they re-engineered the power plant for 2016.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
VX HO Cruiser is what we purchased for my wife to ride. Cruise control is a must for our type of riding..13432338_1061277937240677_5612074920222985197_n.jpg
13432338_1061277937240677_5612074920222985197_n.jpg

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree @Slugger55 , cruise control is one thing the 300x has, that I thought I did not care about. One trip to Catalina Island and I was so grateful it was there. Huge help.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I still love the green. I have the blue FX HO but that green is sharp