• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why is my bilge switch tripping the breaker?

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I noticed my bilge pump not cycling recently so I checked the breaker switch next to it and sure enough it was tripped. I thought that was it but today I noticed whenever I reset the breaker it immediately trips again when I turn the bilge switch on. I took a video. Any ideas????

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Video won't upload. I will try when I get home.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Something is shorted out downstream. Easiest place to start is to unplug the bilge pump at the pump (assuming there is a way to do that) and turn the switch on again. If the breaker trips again then it's the wiring, if it doesn't it's probably the pump (check to see if something is caught in the impeller).

It COULD be that the breaker went bad but that seems less likely.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Something caught in the pump, or most likely swollen and broken. Mine got stuck and from swelling probably from old age and a piece of the impeller broke off, causing pump to overheat and fail. Easy to replace though so not to bad.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like your pump motor rusted to shit and now shorts to ground. Easy fix!

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep sounds like either a bad pump or breaker. Might be able to swap wires with a breaker right next to the original and see if that one pops out too. Otherwise as stated above, try removing the pump and see if it will spin freely.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you do buy a new bilge, make sure to take the model # off the old one. I just googled Yamaha bilge and the one I ended up with was the same bilge, but the wire connector was different. Had to cut the connectors and reword. Not a big deal but could have been avoided.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My breaker was busted when this happened to me. You could trouble shoot with another breaker from the panel so you don't have to buy to identify the problem.

If it's not the breaker, as others said, it's either a short on the wiring (unlikely) or bilge pump is Broke ( more likely)

Multimeter will help you troubleshoot if you get to that point.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just to close the loop on this thread it ended up being the pump. I replaced it and breaker no longer trips.