• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why travel to Bimini on your own boat?

Priobe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello all,
I have been seeing videos on Youtube of trips to Bimini. I was talking to a buddy and we are trying to understand what is typically the total cost of going to Bimini and hotel.

Would it be better / cheaper to take the boat that leaves from Miami to Bimini ?
Looking for advantages for going on your own.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello all,
I have been seeing videos on Youtube of trips to Bimini. I was talking to a buddy and we are trying to understand what is typically the total cost of going to Bimini and hotel.

Would it be better / cheaper to take the boat that leaves from Miami to Bimini ?
Looking for advantages for going on your own.
My top 3.

1. It's an adventure
2. You have your own boat to explore/enjoy while there
3. You are on your own schedule

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bimini is about freedom and truly living. Getting there is work. Once you are there you have everything you need and enjoy going where you want and doing what you want. Most of those destinations are on the water. It would be much less fun to rely on the tour operators.

Or for a simple explanation, life does not get better than this.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If you took the ferry over or flew in, you would be renting golf cart(s) and taking the ferry from north and south bimini.
You could enjoy touring North Bimini (and eating lots of bimini bread!) and the Conch shacks, visiting shops at Resort World, and if going with our group would need to ferry over to visit Bimini Sands, however the ferry stops at about 7 pm. Oh yeah, shark lab too.
Not bringing a boat over means you are relying on others for things like, fishing, snorkeling the dozens of places to snorkel, seeing ship wrecks etc.
We figured about $5k for a family of 5 including towing from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale, the condo etc.
We did not get hotels on our travels down there, and didn't even have time for Bahia Mar or the slip, so we saved a bit there. We went early though, so we ended up with 2 extra nights in Bimini Sands.
Probably all equaled out.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would be bored to tears in Bimini without a boat in about 2 days max. There's not much there to see there that's accessible without one.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with the previous posts as does George Mallory who, in the early 1920's, when asked why climb Mount Everest he replied "because it is there.” We are explorers by nature. Good thing to. If it weren't for Columbus we'd still be crowded on the European continent.

WhirlyBird63

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Cheapest travel is via bicycle boat...

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wakeboarding and Wakesurfing in front of a ship wreck is neat. Looking down while wakeboarding is a very cool experience. You can also go fishing on your own schedule. Just be prepared to cut the line in case that pole bending fish on the other end happens to be a 5ft shark once you can see it at the swim deck you are standing on in bare feet next to your two kids. Going to Bimini on our own boat is not going to be an annual thing for us as we like to experience new things with just a bit less work involved (I do over prepare for things). That said it is a very unique experience to take your own boat (especially with this group in a good way) and very glad we did it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can't think of a better vacation....

On a tropical island with my own boat, able to go anywhere anytime...fishing, snorkeling wrecks, swimming with sharks and rays, pulling up to a deserted beach....PRICELESS

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For me, I want to say I took my OWN BOAT and drove around in the Bermuda Triangle!!!

And, I am sure you have seen the 'selfie stick photo' taken from the front of your boat, family all squeezed in, out on the open ocean with Miami skyline in the background! I want one of those.