• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wide open throttle question

parkerexpress

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had my 2006 sx230 for several months now and really am enjoying it. The only question I really don't have an answer to his how long can you hold wide open throttle. Can they sustain that RPM for long periods of time? this is the high output model so it'll get close to 10,000 RPM. I'm just not sure how long I can run like that, but it sure is fun.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been told the engines are rated to run at WOT for an unlimited amount of time. I get nervous too and usually run WOT only for short periods of time. I think the true limiting factor is the fuel consumption. I recall from the Yamaha outboards they suggested periods of WOT to clear carbon deposits and clean the plugs on those engines. I'm also curious to see what others provide on this topic.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These are continuous duty engines that are designed to run WOT as long as one wants. If everything works cooling is very efficient at high speeds. But it all needs to work, if the pumps cavitate cooling is not efficient and holding max RPM may risk overheat.

I would also always follow any longer WOT run with high idle for a while - until pisser water runs lukewarm - to cool the engines off before shutting them down.

--

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run my boat WOT and then slowly back it down, mostly for wake. I then cruise. I do worry more about start up. I start my boat and let it idle for about 5 minutes before I do a WOT from our dock.

parkerexpress

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's that's really good info, I appreciate the feedback. I did not know that.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run my boat WOT and then slowly back it down, mostly for wake. I then cruise. I do worry more about start up. I start my boat and let it idle for about 5 minutes before I do a WOT from our dock.
That is actually a critically important point.
More critical for 2 strokers that will literally seize pistons if pushed hard before warming up, but nothing good can come out of it in a more modern 4 stroker either.

--

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
On my 2018 I've never had wide-open throttle higher than 6500 to 6800 RPM on both engines. I've pulled on both throttle linkage cables and tighten them both to sync. I've also changed the spark plugs after winterizing and nothing changes the RPMs. I should mention that I boat at about 6000 feet above sea level but even when I go to Lake Powell I can't get it above 6800 RPM.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can run at WOT till you run out a gas.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I used to be a sales manager at a motorcycle/atv/pwc dealer and when going thru all the sales training with the manufacturers I was told that the engines that they use in pwc are fully capable thousands more rpms than the ECU will allow. So even at WOT we're still well below redline.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know on the SVHO engines, they say you can run safely to 8500 rpms before you need to change valve spring components. So you can run all day anything less than that

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
At WOT I can run my boat for about 2 hours (my boat burns about 26 gallons per hour at WOT).

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my 2018 I've never had wide-open throttle higher than 6500 to 6800 RPM on both engines. I've pulled on both throttle linkage cables and tighten them both to sync. I've also changed the spark plugs after winterizing and nothing changes the RPMs. I should mention that I boat at about 6000 feet above sea level but even when I go to Lake Powell I can't get it above 6800 RPM.
You need to get the impellers re-pitched for high altitude.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
GPH is just one telemetry point on the older boats with multi function gauges but I rarely select it as I’ve found it keeps me from enjoying WOT. Kind of like choosing a different meal after you have read the number of calories the meal you initially wanted will produce.