• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wiki?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Real question, intended to provoke real discussion:

We now seem to have a very good bank of knowledge here. Example: the FAQ. Would it make sense to collect that into a wiki rather than the current message format? My preliminary thought is that might give an easier way to find and update the info. We are getting to the point with the messages that even a search on some key topics gets too much info (like search 'trailer' or 'oil change').

Thoughts?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know Wikipedia but I don't understand making the FAQ into Wiki, I'm not very computer literate, I looked at the xenforo link but I couldn't see how it would work as our FAQ.

I think the jump from the old FAQ thread to a forum tab was great and even then just having topics to list more details and multiple post for each item within that was wonderful.

I struggle with the size of the FAQ and keeping it the best of the best in order not to overwhelm someone or making it even more minutia to sort through. Most of the people who look at will probably be new members or sporadic members and keeping info easy to find I think is important.

I would not want us to fall behind and end up missing useful tools like happened at YJB but you have to balance it with who has the time and willing to put in the effort to make it work (just like the difference between a TX/OK get together and Shelbyville). It took Julian and I about 20 hours (just guessing) to upgrade from the old FAQ thread.

If you think it would make the board better I'm all for it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm sitting at the airport in Vegas and haven't looked at this at all, but echo @Scottintexas 's comments....it took a lot of work to move from my old single thread link list to the FAQ.....so we'd need help to change again. Do you know of a forum that has built one we could look at?

I like the FAQ approach because mostly what we do is point to existing threads members create.....but I'm always seeking ways to make the forum better and more useable to all of us! (which is why we added bookmarks and history recently).

Love the bookmarks feature....no more searching for the "show us what you see" thread etc....

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I echo both of your comments regarding making things easier and not fixing what is not broken. I don't think anyone wants to move backward. And, yes, the FAQ is much improved.

My idea (suggestion would be too strong a word) comes directly from how many hours it takes one person (or even a few admins) to maintain something like the FAQ. The whole idea behind the wiki is not the specific format--it is that you organize a page per topic and allow everyone to edit the pages. That means no one person has to go update it. Everyone updates. There is a full history, so you don't need to worry about someone 'deleting' something--it never gets lost. You just put it back to the prior version. Then, of course, you can link between pages and all that neat stuff.

The message format is great for working things out and communicating ('look what I did', 'where should we go', etc.). I think the wiki format should be considered for the 'reference' functions.

Just a thought. I will be happy and active either way.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A search tool for just the FAQ would be awesome.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Guys, the difference in a wiki page and what we are doing now is that with a wiki someone might start a page on changing steering cables then the next guy would come along and make additions or edits to it. Instead of having a long thread with differing information spread across many posts you would end up with one document that many authors contributed to.

The down side is that contributors may come along and add incorrect information.

I have not decided if I am for or against having a Wiki. I would not want to administer it but we may have members such as @tdonoughue who would be willing to contribute the time to do so. I also want to support the membership in what they want. I would contribute articles to such a wiki.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As a newbie, and fairly tech savvy, I like the idea of a wiki post with clear instructions. I've been slowly reading through the FAQ threads.

But, one thing you lose is the alternate methods (or at least the discussion behind them). One example being the shutoff valve mods for towing / flushing. Those threads ended up showing 2-3 different methods, various locations for the valves and a discussion on whether it's ok to add 8' of hose to relocate the valves. And, in the end, I couldn't tell whether the mod was recommended or not.

A wiki post would be able to give clear and specific info, as a newbie that's what I'm looking for. However, who decides what the right answer is? Maybe it's better to read through the threads, find someone that appears more knowledgeable than yourself and just do whatever that guy did. (Unfortunately for me, most of you currently fit that bill in my case. Lol)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 what you ran into is exactly the issue that I fear would happen with a Wiki....someone would need to own and edit each Wiki, and there are often multiple options/ways to achieve a particular end, and in some cases much discussion/controversy over if an particular solution is ok or not.

For your particular question....I don't have tow valves and never felt I had a need for them. I typically don't drive a long way from "home", and if I ever did....I'd just buy a hose clamp. Seems like a lot of work to install a shut off for what I hope to be...a never used solution. I've also wondered if the introduction of a valve restricts the water flow to some degree. So I've not messed with it! If I go to Bimini next year, I'll just go out and buy a hose clamp. Also pretty sure my boat won't plane on one engine....so if I have an engine out....the difference is probably between going 5mph vs 10mph. Worst case scenario is I'm in the middle of the crossing to Bimini (45 miles offshore)....but that might be once a year....and a clamp will suffice.....but its still going to be a long ride home and I'll probably call a towing company as well just for safety!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, when I can't find something easily, I just add @Bruce to my query post... like magic, the answer appears. :winkingthumbsup"
Sorry for the distraction, but it's kind of the truth. I guess that part of the point that I am trying to make is that if you've been a forum member for long enough, you get a decent idea of who the experts are. I get that the wiki approach would probably save a lot of rehashing, but folks on this forum don't seem to mind. There's always someone willing to help.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yup....we have a lot of people who know where the answers are, or can answer questions quickly!!! That is the strength and power of the TEAM! @Scottintexas is also really good at keeping the FAQ updated (along with the other moderators), so things are generally pretty easy to find if you know where to look....and lots of helpful people if you don't.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Who moved my cheese? I like the structure, navigation, content and collaboration of this forum. I have established a very workable, self-forming and elastic FAQ:

-avoid paying high fees for routine service / search and the forum for how others have changed their oil, plugs and found the hidden zeros
-installing a depth finder / read posts, see some great ideas and choose what supports my needs and skills level
-replacing a scupper valve / follow a few treads for a while and eventually react
-overheat situation / bite nails, read forum, research, bring to dealer, read forum some more
-sticky throttle
-pee holes
-water draining and bilge
-etc.

I never owned a boat or had boated before joining and using this forum. I appreciate the investment and refinement the forum admins have made to serve this community. Members with various levels of experience (or no experience in my case) can use this forum to create their "own" elastic and real-time FAQ.

A searchable PDF of my owners manual and this forum took me from landlubber to a moderately functional boating newbie.