• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Winnipeg, anybody close by or know the city ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My youngest daughter may be going there for 3 weeks of job training near the airport in the next few months. Needless to say as parents were "concerned" for her safety being the first time she'll be on her own for that amount of time, that far from home,

anyways, just wondering if anyone has general knowledge of the city, the member map didn't show anyone who posts,

thanks,

Ottawa based Canadian here. Been there multiple times. First off, you need to call it by its "proper name", Winterpeg.

Secondly, it's considered to be a very safe and quaint small city. Fantastic for outdoors stuff supposedly if she has a chance.

There are a few social problems, but I wouldn't worry about them. Frankly, the only city in Canada that has maybe sketchier neighborhoods is Toronto on my opinion. Maybe a few spots in Montreal? I would have zero issues sending my daughter (once she's old enough) to Winterpeg.

If nobody else responds and you have "Canada questions", ping me. We just speak weirdly but then again Texas... ;)

Canada's crime problem is property crime. Theft to be specific. Don't leave your bike unlocked or you backpack unattended.

Was there maybe 15 years ago for work and I can confirm that in the winter it’s cold as eff. The customer that I visited had a 110v engine heater outlet for EVERY parking spot.

Its been awhile but from what I remember it was a nice city.

Last edited:
We can't keep the college kids from driving up to Winnipeg on a regular basis, as the drinking age is 18. So many students from Grand Forks and even Fargo drive up to party.

I have heard of mob type crime in the city, but I don't believe all that. It's about as safe as any city of that size. Needless to say, they won't be driving to many destinations depending on time of year. There is really nothing around it unless you drive south to the US. And that section of highway sucks!

If it's April timeframe, all a person can worry about is the Red River flooding. As mentioned, for the sportsmen, it's amazing fishing north, but I do doubt that's her goal.

thank you for the responses,
I also participate in a trap shooting forum with many members and I actually found a member who lives about a mile from the Standard Aero facility.

. First off, you need to call it by its "proper name", Winterpeg.

I was under the impression the proper name was lose-a-peg ??

for the sportsmen, it's amazing fishing north, but I do doubt that's her goal.

if the right plan presented it self she might be ready for a day of fishing

1706283201829.png

The Red River of the North that flows from West Central MN to Lake Winnipeg is world class catfishing. And the only known river to flow North in North America.

When I lived in Fargo, we fished it often with a jet boat, but mostly Lunds. We traveled the first week of June a few times up to Lockport, MB just North of Winnipeg, which is the last dam on the river before it flows into Lake Winnipeg.

This is a place where you can catch 20-30lb channel catfish till your arms fall off literally. I have videos on my youtube channel (search Wicked Catfish) But Lake winnipeg is known for Greenbacks. Which are the largest, healthiest walleye around. They will come up into the Red in the fall many times. Most travel miles out into the lake on sleds and SnoBear to catch them.

The Red River of the North that flows from West Central MN to Lake Winnipeg is world class catfishing. And the only known river to flow North in North America.

When I lived in Fargo, we fished it often with a jet boat, but mostly Lunds. We traveled the first week of June a few times up to Lockport, MB just North of Winnipeg, which is the last dam on the river before it flows into Lake Winnipeg.

This is a place where you can catch 20-30lb channel catfish till your arms fall off literally. I have videos on my youtube channel (search Wicked Catfish) But Lake winnipeg is known for Greenbacks. Which are the largest, healthiest walleye around. They will come up into the Red in the fall many times. Most travel miles out into the lake on sleds and SnoBear to catch them.

I think you missed one of the oldest rivers in North America, the New River, which flows out of NC, through Virginia, and then into WV.

I do agree that the fishing in and around the Red is awesome!

You are even more right that you thought. After a quick search, I find that there are like a dozen. I wonder why folks in our region say it's the only one? I actually believed it, as I could not name another.

Yeah, I heard the same thing about the New River as well. Funny how those incorrect facts seem to get a life of their own sometimes.

Back