• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterization/Annual Maintenance Checklist....

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What rod with rubber boot are you referring to?

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
8BB1415C-50D5-427D-95C4-4996BB0863B3.jpeg Welp, there she will lay until next spring. Thanks for the checklist, marked all of them off with the exception of covering, I see a little garage boating in my near future. #imisssummeralready

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I thought the main bearing is sealed and doesn't require maintenance? (On newer models)

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought the main bearing is sealed and doesn't require maintenance? (On newer models)
New boats still have a zerk fitting on the bearing and the service manual says to grease it.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Will (hopefully) be winterizing a boat soon, and I plan to run antifreeze through it as a better safe than sorry preventative. I had planned to fog it (running on water), then run a gallon or two of antifreeze through each engine, blow it out, and then squirt the cylinders. Will running it after to get the antifreeze through undo whatever benefit the initial fogging had? Not sure how long the fogging oil will stay coated before it burns off - never done this before.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@seanmclean If your boat recommends anti-freeze then what I would do it run it through the engine first, then shut down and let it cool. Then start it up to fog it, fog it fast, then shut it down (or the fogging oil itself will kill the engine) - as long as you do this in under 30 seconds you won't need any cooling water.

My 3 Yamaha jet boat's engines have never seen anti freeze and haven't cared less (and in WI where they were stored before I moved to NC...it was COLD!!!). My ballast system....I'll be treating it.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@seanmclean If your boat recommends anti-freeze then what I would do it run it through the engine first, then shut down and let it cool. Then start it up to fog it, fog it fast, then shut it down (or the fogging oil itself will kill the engine) - as long as you do this in under 30 seconds you won't need any cooling water.

My 3 Yamaha jet boat's engines have never seen anti freeze and haven't cared less (and in WI where they were stored before I moved to NC...it was COLD!!!). My ballast system....I'll be treating it.
I was referring to a Yamaha. I know that it's not required to run antifreeze through these motors, but still makes me nervous. Does get colder in WI then it does here in Jersey though.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is what I do. I duck taped a tall skinny funnel into a hose then connected the other end of the hose to the flush port. While my son or buddy pours a gallon of RV antifreeze into the funnel while I fog the engines. It takes 20 to 40 seconds to empty the antifreeze. Then I give the engine a rev or two and put it away for our long MN winter. Make sure you pinch off the jet pump intake on the y fitting so all the antifreeze doesn't go back out that intake. Before doing the fogging and antifreeze I use YDS to get my engine readouts and change the oil. After the fogging I spray down all the metal hose clips with crc 6-56 as well as the pivot points and rods on the jet pumps in the back. Make sure not to spray your sacrificial anodes, otherwise they will be less effective.

In the spring I lube the main bearings and wheel bearings and change plugs. This next spring I am going to do an extra oil change (minus the filters) to get more fresh oil into the system. I use yamaha oil filters and yamalube oil. Next spring will be my 6th season.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I added a couple of items for trailer maintenance - not necessarily a winterization item, but needs to be checked - brakes functioning, and hitch ball latch adjusted right.
Any posts and pics out there on what to grease down for the 100 hour maintenance? Not sure where all the cables and all are located I suppose. I'm almost to the 100 hr mark and I don't want to take it to the dealer to get over charged as that's all I will be needing done. Already changed spark plugs and oil/filter.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok thank you. So besides greasing the bearing housing, there is nothing else to grease it looks like? I thought maybe some cables on the transom needed grease too?
- Lube main bearing (check out this FAQ on what needs greasing)
- Lube reverse gate linkages (2 points)
- Lube Steering linkage (2 points)

The last 2 above are simple....pull back the rubber boot on the cable end, wipe some grease on the connection and push the boot back on.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
- Lube main bearing (check out this FAQ on what needs greasing)
- Lube reverse gate linkages (2 points)
- Lube Steering linkage (2 points)

The last 2 above are simple....pull back the rubber boot on the cable end, wipe some grease on the connection and push the boot back on.
Thank you sir