• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing 242x with ballast bags?

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone know what is supposed to be done to the ballast bags and hoses ect to winterized a 242 xe. Thanks

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine was at the dealer last year having warrantly work done....so I had them winterize the ballast while they had it...so not sure what they did. But my guess is disconnect each back and pour RV antifreeze into each hose.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just disconnect the hose near the thru hull fitting and stick it in a gallon of anti freeze. Press the fill button and protect the hoses, pump and bag.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I did nothing. The lines seem to self drain and what little water might still be in the bags have plenty of room to expand...

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree about the bags and hoses but I am concerned about the brass pump freezing.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hum, the way the pumps are positioned, they are at the high points of the flow of water, so I'm not sure how any water will be trapped in the pumps. Unless maybe you closed the valve with the boat still sitting in the water and the lines were still draining or something. But I get better to be safe than sorry by running antifreeze.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My pumps are installed in the "wet compartments" in the stern, so about the seat level, w/heads down.
I'm doing nothing :cool:.

--

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well maybe I am worrying about it too much. Do you think water could freeze inside this?
View attachment 64953 WP_20160905_09_13_30_Pro.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well maybe I am worrying about it too much. Do you think water could freeze inside this?
View attachment 64953 View attachment 64954
Nice! New impellers?
I would think that as long as you don't try to run the pump with ice inside there, you are not likely to get damage (from ice expanding), unless the head it is completely filled with water. Even then, it would have to be some sort of a snap-freeze event to not allow any expansion.
I'm thinking if anti-freeze may be harsh on the impeller material, perhaps?

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@buckbuck Just an observation...and disclaimer, I do not have any of these ballast pumps. I know it gets cold where you are, could you turn the pump body horizontal or upside down so that the water would not freeze in the bottom? And hopefully run to the inlet/outlet while still a liquid. I would be nervous about even that small amount of water freezing and cracking that soft brass or even expanding the cover, making the pump less efficient. I always try to err on the side of caution. just my $.02. Good Luck

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve heard of guys dumping vodka in their fresh water holding tanks as antifreeze then run the sink or sprayer enough to taste. Think that would work? Seems better than trying to empty a holding tank. :)

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I assume you all are using RV antifreeze. If so, it won't prevent the water in your tanks from freezing. Check this link for further discussion. http://roadtrek190popular.blogspot.com/2014/01/rv-antifreeze.html

If you are using auto antifreeze, shame on you :eek:

@buckbuck , the water pump impellers in every Alpha stern drive look just like your picture. I can assure you they don't all get winterized with RV antifreeze. Just run the pump a second or two, dry, to get the water out. In my previous boat, the old impeller looked like new when I replaced it after 14 years. No antifreeze -- ever. That said, a little antifreeze can't hurt :D. It just won't do much for the water in your ballast bags.

cheers,
Steve