• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Winterizing

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So the wife is going to have our son in October, so my boating season will end sometime in September. With that I have a few questions/comments about winterizing:

1. Antifreeze Some say yes, some say no....I guess it is a personal preference
2. Gas Full Tank with Stabylizer "or" very low tank w/o Stabylizer "or" very low tank with Stabylizer
3. Fogging Is it necessary?
4. Batteries Remove and keep on the Charger for the winter "or" keep in the boat with the charge
5. Oil/Oil Filter Should I get these changed beforehand or wait until just before the upcoming season
6. Air Filter Same question as the oil filter
7. Order Any preference on which order to do all of these???

Where will your boat be stored? How cold will it get?

More then likely outside. It can get pretty cold here in NJ. Single digits sometimes.

So the wife is going to have our son in October, so my boating season will end sometime in September. With that I have a few questions/comments about winterizing:

1. Antifreeze Some say yes, some say no....I guess it is a personal preference
2. Gas Full Tank with Stabylizer "or" very low tank w/o Stabylizer "or" very low tank with Stabylizer
3. Fogging Is it necessary?
4. Batteries Remove and keep on the Charger for the winter "or" keep in the boat with the charge
5. Oil/Oil Filter Should I get these changed beforehand or wait until just before the upcoming season
6. Air Filter Same question as the oil filter
7. Order Any preference on which order to do all of these???

1.) I'm going to use it, it's easy to do.
2.) FULL with fuel stabilizer. The whole point of doing this is to keep condensation and water from mixing in with your gas.
3.) YES. Over the winter it gets cold, and things when cold become brittle. This is like lotion for the inside of your engine, keeps things lubricated and keeps those engine parts from getting corrosion.
4.) remove them, put them in the garage on a trickle charger. These are lead acid batteries, and unless you want to replace them every few years - you should put a trickle charger on them over the winter.
5.) I tend to replace my oil every year before putting the boat away for the season just because I don't want crummy oil sitting in there all winter long.
6.) nope. I wouldn't replace this unless you overfilled your oil reservoir and got some on the filter.
7.) Gas, Oil&filter, Fogging, Antifreeze, batteries, upholstery, fiberglass

Remember to clean the inside and outside of your boat so it's ready for you when spring comes around. Remember to put something on your upholstery to protect it and keep it from cracking.

I don't have a good recommendation on this for what to use yet, since this is my first winter with the Yamaha I will try 3 or 4 different material protectors and then decide which I like the most. I usually clean with somewhat abrasive chemicals first so it shines, then I wax the shit out of the boat and put all sorts of stuff on the seats.

If you don't properly care for your gelcoat, it will oxidize faster. So wax wax wax!

1. Antifreeze Some say yes, some say no....I guess it is a personal preference - Not needed
2. Gas Full Tank with Stabylizer "or" very low tank w/o Stabylizer "or" very low tank with Stabylizer - Full with non ethanol gas and stabilizer.
3. Fogging Is it necessary? - Based on your proximity to salt water and the cold temps I would. I do not but I store in my basement garage that does not drop below 60 and start the engines every few months.
4. Batteries Remove and keep on the Charger for the winter "or" keep in the boat with the charge - I would store them inside. They are unlikely to freeze but why stress them.
5. Oil/Oil Filter Should I get these changed beforehand or wait until just before the upcoming season - I would change the oil and filters in the spring, removing any impurities that might get in over the winter.
6. Air Filter Same question as the oil filter - You may never need to change the air filters. They are expensive, just inspect them. The amount of dust on the lake is limited.

Congrats in advance on your little guy!

More then likely outside. It can get pretty cold here in NJ. Single digits sometimes.

oh, if you're going to put it outside

For the boat: wax wax wax!!! Also remember... NEVER put 2 covers on a boat, you'll just create mildew. If you can put it in a carport (like a 200$ one from Costco), that's a good idea - otherwise if you're cool like me and have an amazing local dealer that will shrinkwrap your boat, that's even better.

For the trailer: be sure to spray your trailer wheels, make sure the bearing buddies are full, cover your wheels, fill your brake fluid (if surge brakes).

Please do not simply use "fuel stabilizer."

Use MARINE GRADE (BLUE !!!!!!!) STA-BIL #22240 !
$ 21.18 @ Amazon. You can't buy it anywhere else less expensively !

http://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22240-Marine-Fuel-Stabilizer/dp/B001CAW2DK

And make sure the tank is FULL of Fuel !
Measure your Sta-Bil correctly ......... The one 32 oz bottle should treat 160 gallons of gasoline. (Not "320" as they state on the bottle label).

Good Luck and Happy Labor Day Holiday to you & yours !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:
To add : use stabilizer in you last tank of fuel on the water before winterizing as a minimum. :being in N.J., I highly recommend spraying engine and hose fittings with corrosion X or silicone spray.

1. Antifreeze Some say yes, some say no....I guess it is a personal preference - Not needed
2. Gas Full Tank with Stabylizer "or" very low tank w/o Stabylizer "or" very low tank with Stabylizer - Full with non ethanol gas and stabilizer.
3. Fogging Is it necessary? - Based on your proximity to salt water and the cold temps I would. I do not but I store in my basement garage that does not drop below 60 and start the engines every few months.
4. Batteries Remove and keep on the Charger for the winter "or" keep in the boat with the charge - I would store them inside. They are unlikely to freeze but why stress them.
5. Oil/Oil Filter Should I get these changed beforehand or wait until just before the upcoming season - I would change the oil and filters in the spring, removing any impurities that might get in over the winter.
6. Air Filter Same question as the oil filter - You may never need to change the air filters. They are expensive, just inspect them. The amount of dust on the lake is limited.

Congrats in advance on your little guy!

+1 on everything except the oil change in the spring. Latest advice is both although I would probably only change the filter once but then again it is cheap insurance. http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/changing-engine-oil.asp

1. Antifreeze Some say yes, some say no....I guess it is a personal preference - I say no. I get long stretches of sub-zero temps with no trouble.
2. Gas Full Tank with Stabylizer "or" very low tank w/o Stabylizer "or" very low tank with Stabylizer - Full with stabilizer
3. Fogging Is it necessary? - Yes
4. Batteries Remove and keep on the Charger for the winter "or" keep in the boat with the charge - Remove, charge, store in a place it won't freeze. Stick in the garage with the door open for charging on "warmer" days every few months. (Never charge in a non-ventilated space.)
5. Oil/Oil Filter Should I get these changed beforehand or wait until just before the upcoming season - Tomato, Tomato, Potato, Potato. I follow what my Dad did for 60+ years with no troubles: Change my seasonal equipment's oil in the spring. There are reasonable-sounding arguments on both sides. The super-anal do it both in the fall AND spring. I am neither super-anal nor made of money.
6. Air Filter Same question as the oil filter - Should rarely need to change unless oil-saturated.
7. Order Any preference on which order to do all of these??? Stabil in gas, Flush on the garden hose (anti-freeze if you're gonna insist on it), oil and filter (assuming you choose to do it in the fall), Fog, Yank the Battery.

Good info here !!!! Should be an easy process. Like I said once I get around to it. Probably the end of September. Only thing I will have to figure out is the oil, but that shouldn't be so bad. Makes me feel good knowing I will do it on my own instead of getting my b#lls kicked in if I took it to a stealer...I mean dealer !!

I put an ounce of marine stabil as well as an ounce of ring free for every ten gallons I add...period.

I put an ounce of marine stabil as well as an ounce of ring free for every ten gallons I add...period.
Even for a winterization ? What kind of Ring Free? Will putting ring free and stabilizer in the same tank be ok? I am currently planning my purchase list an amazon. lol

Watch the shipping on amazon. The oil change kit is like $23 for shipping. If you price in shipping you can come out ahead at the dealer even with tax in most cases.

Seeing winterization threads is depressing. :(

Watch the shipping on amazon. The oil change kit is like $23 for shipping. If you price in shipping you can come out ahead at the dealer even with tax in most cases.

Yeah I only get the stuff on amazon that the free shipping. Everything else at the local store. Only thing I have to get at the local store is the oil, filter, and fogging spray. Sta-bil, oil extractor, and funnel will be through amazon.

Thank God Texas weather stays warmer a bit longer than our northern friends or a lone tear would form and roll down my cheek!

Back