• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing?

S6T6

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok it's getting close to the end of the season so being new to boats I was wondering what I need to do to winterize my SX190. The dealer said they charge $100+ but didn't say what it entailed.

Any insight would be appreciated.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hold on to your hat and get your popcorn!! Let the fogging debate begin!

All I do is blow the water out of the engines, change the oil, and top off the gas with Stabil.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mikey recommends A) Blowing the water out of the engines, and B) Top off the gas tank, and add MARINE (blue) Sta-Bil.
I always
change oil first thing in the Spring to get rid of the accumulated condensation in the oil over the off season.
Hope this helps, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

S6T6

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So the dealer is full of $#!t? The service guy made it sound like it was necessary to do all kinds of stuff. I do live where the temps get below 0° often so thought there was more to it. Figures though, as I have been less than impressed with them this far.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
1 of the major advantages of Yamaha jet boats over other comparable and competitive brands is that there is virtually ZERO winterization, for Yamaha jet boats.

If you're being told anything else, ....well ........ you'll figger it out.

If I was not "clear," please allow me to say this another way:

ZERO WINTERZATION !

Last edited:

S6T6

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ha, thanks Mikey. I'm clear for sure now :winkingthumbsup".

Irritates me that the dealer was trying to squeeze another $100+ out of me after they just charged me same for the first 10hr service.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Many believe that changing the oil at the end of the season is more advantageous than in the Spring. By changing the oil at the end you get rid of harmful chemicals and deposits that sit on the internal workings within the engine all Winter long. You basically give everything a nice fresh coat of oil to setup for the hopefully short winter.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had an SX190. Last two winters were harsh. I did four things.

1. Engine fogging
2. Water out of engine
3. Marine stabil in full tank
4. Added RV anti-freeze.

The above are my processes I wanted to perform. I am not recommending nor will I debate if any of them are needed or not.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Blow the water out of engine simply by giving some throttle with the engine on and boat out of the water and no water hose connected.. only for a few seconds is all that is needed. I also add fuel stabilizer on my last run so it is well mixed and all through the gas lines before I shut it down,, that's all I do. I live in Minnesota with 20 below temps in the winter. If it doesn't freeze in that than it never will. There is much debate on fogging the engine, and also debate on changing oil.. I change my oil in the spring only and no fogging.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im actually still under the impression that I wont stop using my boat throughout the year. :rolleyes: (first year owning it) (first year living in GA)

We had 60*+ days here in Dec - Feb and I think I'd enjoy a nice cruise on the water just because I can. Is there anything I SHOULD do for stretches of non-use of say 30 days or so? I always use Marine Stabil, the boat stays in a garage, and even though we do see some freezing warnings, they are rarely deep freezes. Advice welcome.

Last edited:

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is probably over kill, but here is my process. Maybe I will do a write up this year when I do mine. Full of fuel, then treat with marine STABIL. I actually hook my flush kit up and run RV antifreeze through the engine. Usually only takes half a gallon or so before the water running out turns pink. I splash whats left of the RV antifreeze down the bilge and scupper. I will cycle the bilge pump on until it spits pink out. Then fog the supercharger and engine til the motor bogs and dies. Pull the plugs out and shoot some fogger down the spark plug holes and reinstall the plugs. Give it a goooood cleaning. Pull the battery out so I can keep it on the tender throughout the winter. I tape over the pee holes, bilge hole, and exhaust openings with painters tape to keep critters out. Then cover it and park in my spot. Hit the wheel bearings on the trailer again so they don't rust. Shoot some silicon spray on the hitch and brake mechanism. Then pray for a short winter!

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is what I do:

Fill the gas tank to nearly full leaving a little room for expansion
Add marine stabilizer.
Oil changes
RV antifreeze
Fog
Lubricate all grease points
Thorough cleaning
Place a few open boxes of baking soda around to absorb moisture
Prop open all compartments and seats to allow everything to breath
Winter cover

Is it all required? Maybe not but it's super cheap insurance and I have seen pwc with cracked engine blocks due to not winterizing.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will use my boat several times during the winter. I add the Blue Stabilizer all year (the amount is about half as compared to winter). This insures the stabilizer id run through the engine and fuel lines/injectors and not just in the tank. When she sits up for a month at a time I make sure she topped off and has the extra stabilize added. I change the oil in the spring and every fall and spring I go through the boat oiling, greasing, checking for loose stuff and I wax her. I put an Odor Genie under the cover and keep all the doors open. I also keep trickle chargers on both batteries (I do that all year as well).

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For those of us that spend 1 month + in sub freezing temps, can't hurt running antifreeze thru.
What is the cost of this? $50 bucks including the feeder tank? Even for $100 or $200 in supplies I would not risk it. Once you have all the materials then you cost is less than $100 including oil change. Trickle charging is always recommended, and for some of us that spend 3 months plus out and can't keep boat indoors, then I take it out and keep it in the garage. The deep freeze does ruin the battery much faster.
Very cheap peace of mind.
If you live in the southern 1/3 of the country, then you might not need it at all.
Bottom line is, it can't hurt if you do, but it might if you don't.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was told by my dealer that they just add marvel mystery oil to the gas. They use half as much as whatever stabilizer you use. So if you need 10 oz. of stabil then add 5 oz oil to the stabil, mix it and add it to the tank. Then fill the tank and run the fuel through the engine. They say that's all they do and it fogs the engine fine. I also run RV antifreeze through the engines after I warm them up on a hose to open the thermostat.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
With a funel and hose I gravity feed a gallon of antifreeze while I fog at the same time. Takes about a minute per engine. I go through about half a can of fogging oil per engine.

Antifreeze $10 (3 gallons, I put a half gallon in each of my built in ballast bags.)
Fogging oil $7
Marine stabil $9
2 oil filters and 6 quarts of yamalube $50
Total cost = $86

Fernando Flower

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know zero winterization but I better be safe than sorry... Anybody knows of a place near north Brunswick, NJ?

jet_fun

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
hi all
thanks for all the advice on winterizing the engine, bilge, fuel, etc. anyone have any tips on how to winterize the live bait well and the raw water wash?

Skurks

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey all, new AR195 owner here as well with a followup question. I changed the oil before putting it away for an upstate NY winter. In order to get the oil into the filter, i fired it up for a about 15 seconds. A small bit of water came out of the rear, but none out of the three side ports. Is that enough water to get out?

I'm still thinking of running a bit of marine antifreeze through it to be sure, but I just don't want the mess (on the ground - plus is that stuff safe for pets?)

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Startup and bump the throttle a couple times to 2-3k rpm or so. Some do this then wait a day and do it again or even 3 days in a row for winterization.
Water will only come out the rear, you won't see any out of the side "pee holes".

Some run antifreeze through the motors and some don't -- Yamaha claims you do not need to and any cavities in danger of causing freezing damage will self drain.

RV antifreeze is usually a pink color with active ingredient propylene glycol - it is referred to as non-toxic. Obviously still not good for pets but said to be non-toxic to them.

Antifreeze used in vehicles is usually green in color with active ingredient ethylene glycol which is highly toxic to animals - as in can kill them.

The pink propylene glycol RV antifreeze is what is used to winterize boats. Don't rely on color alone though, use it as a guide but ensure the active ingredient is propylene glycol.

Last edited: