• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wood verses wood free construction

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In my search for a new boat, I am leaning more towards wood free construction. From what I understand, Yamaha still uses wood in their boats. If this is not the case, please feel free to correct my misunderstanding.

If indeed wood is still used, I am curious as to how much of a concern this was/is to current Yamaha jet boat owners. Due to limited garage space, my Waverunners and current boat all reside outside under covers. As such, wood free would definitely be a plus.

Thanks

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
People have said that there are wood stringers in the boats....I've not seen them (meaning...drilled into them to find wood). If they are wood, they are fiber glass encased wood....so for me...not an issue unless you seriously damage the hull and then don't repair it correctly. But I'd still like to see the proof of wood.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely wood stringers in the SX-230. One can be seen at the aft end of the floor ski locker (if memory serves). Need to get eyes or mirror below deck level to see it.

Also, wood in the bulkheads to port and starboard of the engine compartment. I've drilled through that to fish wiring.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would be rather surprised if any builders use unglassed or epoxied stringers anymore on new boats.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There is definitely wood in the upper part of the boat. Most, if not all, of the compartment dividers are carpeted wood.
Completely glassed?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is in the ski locker of my '09 AR230.
I was adjusting the new latch so figured I'd just get in there and get it right the first time.
I was surprised to see the bare wood in there.
It wouldn't stop me from buying one though.
IMG_2872.JPG

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was adjusting the new latch so figured I'd just get in there and get it right the first time.
View attachment 62764
So were you just making sure you could stash a dead body in the center hold to bring them out to dump?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So were you just making sure you could stash a dead body in the center hold to bring them out to dump?
It is bigger than I expected, I never really paid attention to how far forward it went. I'm 6'1" and fit in there comfortably!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I replaced the famous scupper valve I discovered that there is a good bit of wood in these boats. Pull the clean out tube tray and you'll be able to see how these boats are made.

We recently lost our Sea Ray aft cabin cruiser to a massive dock fire that took all 18 of the boats that were docked there. All boats burned and sank. What remained still had to be raised and we finally got to see it up close this week. I knew there was a lot of wood in the interior of the boat making the walls and floors and furniture. I had no idea there was so much wood in the structure of the hull itself until I saw the burned structure. The fire took it to the water line and a little more. Seeing how it was put together was eye-opening. This was a 20yo boat and was built to sit it in the water and be in the ocean. We had it surveyed just 18 months ago and it only had 5 blisters on the bottom which is very good and the rest of the hull and deck was very solid. She was a good boat!

I said all that to say this. Having wood in the structure of a fiberglass boat is normal and not a bad thing. It keeps weight and cost down when done right and is easy to fix.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It wouldn't factor in my decision making. I don't expect to be passing a ski boat down to my kids or anything.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my search for a new boat, I am leaning more towards wood free construction. From what I understand, Yamaha still uses wood in their boats. If this is not the case, please feel free to correct my misunderstanding.

If indeed wood is still used, I am curious as to how much of a concern this was/is to current Yamaha jet boat owners. Due to limited garage space, my Waverunners and current boat all reside outside under covers. As such, wood free would definitely be a plus.

Thanks
10 seasons and not one issue. I guess 20, 30 40 years maybe??? Don't know. If have had 100 criteria for selecting a boat that would be near the bottom.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
this was/is an important matter for me. Even though I store mine in my garage. I was once inside a NOT VERY OLD Sea Ray, and the floors were spongy. it was terrible. and disgusting. I have an irrational fear of it now. but, i take better care of my boat because of it lol so.....

Its utterly shambolic how some people let their boats get. I love to see ads, where the carpet is wet and moldy, and there's leaves on the floor and seats.... gross. If you're going to leave them outside, COVER THEM. ugh. My boat, however, will always be inside. (feel this same way about motorcycles.)

My Glastron (And others) use the "VEC" hull with that construction technique, there IS some Wood, but its all completely sealed within fiberglass. Save for some gusset type blocks beneath the swim platform, and beneath the gunwhale where the window rails mount. All are completely out of the weather.

Being that its important to me, I spoke with a Yamaha rep in 2013 ish at a boat show. He told me that the Yamaha hull production changed around 2010 for the 240's and 2012 for the 210's and 190's... to be similar to that of the VEC style. Even though their's were better to begin with, they are now even better still. I crawled around a 2013 210 and looked this was validated.... It isn't really on my worry list if/when we buy a used or new Yamaha. Which will be 2012+

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New "keeled" 2015+ MY 240/242s have hulls with NO WOOD.
No wood stringers and no plywood-cored hull/transom panels.
All the embedded core material in the bilge etc. is aluminum:
upload_2017-8-17_11-39-29.png
upload_2017-8-17_11-37-30.png
upload_2017-8-17_11-37-59.png

My 2012 190 had a lot of wood in the bilge. The 230s' hulls have a ton of wood and seem to be thicker and sturdier than the newer ones.

New hulls are thinner and lighter, made of true FRP (very good). That is one of the main reasons I bought this boat.

--

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
X'2 2 on looking in the rear bilge under the swim deck. Lots of plywood around and more disturbing are the core drilled holes for hoses that have no protection in the inside of the hole - bare wood just ready to soak in any moisture.

Take a look at the pictures posted in the scupper threads.

TS4811

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the important question here is, has anyone had problems with wood on their Yamaha jet boat? If so what model and year and were on the boat?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 2004 - 2006 years can suffer from water intrusion in the cockpit floor through the table leg receiver. There are a number of posts on the forum where we have had to replace flooring. The table leg receiver was not sealed well and water would leak through and rot out the wood core of the flooring.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the important question here is, has anyone had problems with wood on their Yamaha jet boat? If so what model and year and were on the boat?
@CrankyGypsy posted a very comprehensive write up recently.

--

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
View attachment 62764
Wow. That is a pretty roomy ski locker.