• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Would you replace this impeller?

lyonsden2162

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

This is my first jet boat and boat altogether. My question is would you replace this impeller. This is off my 2014 scarab 195 200hp.

Attachments

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would not replace that impeller but I would have it refurbished by impros in Scal during the off season. The prices vary depending on what you want done but they used to start at $75 plus shipping both ways.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

This is my first jet boat and boat altogether. My question is would you replace this impeller. This is off my 2014 scarab 195 200hp.
I would not unless performance is a issue.

lyonsden2162

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I would not replace that impeller but I would have it refurbished by impros in Scal during the off season. The prices vary depending on what you want done but they used to start at $75 plus shipping both ways.

Wow, thanks! I did not know you could refurbish them. Appreciate it.

lyonsden2162

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I would not unless performance is a issue.

I started looking into it because I am having what I think is some cavitation. Just started researching all this. The intake grate is missing (holes are plugged) not by me. I wonder if the intake grate helps vector the water into the impeller when moving. Maybe that is stupid, but it seams logical.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The stock intake grates are usually there to prevent something large from being sucked into the pump which could damage it and or the impeller. Top loader intake grayed have a horizontal fin built into the tines/ fingers of the grate that directs more of the water to the top of the pump/tries to better equalize the distribution of water entering the pump. I have not yet seen a top loader intake grate for a jet boat just for pwcs.

Your impeller may not be causing cavitiaton, it could be missing sealant / silicone where the pump mates to the hull. I would start with the impeller and keep trouble shooting from there if refurbishing or replacing the impeller doesnt stop the cavitation.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The intake grate is missing (holes are plugged) not by me.
Sounds like your impeller, which looks fine except for a small ding, could be the least of your issues with that pump? That intake grade in the picture is a "top loader" type, it maybe what you need first.

--

lyonsden2162

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Well I learned a new term, “top loader”. Thanks, you being a big help. I’ll refurbish the impeller and install a new grate and go from there.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I learned a new term, “top loader”. Thanks, you being a big help. I’ll refurbish the impeller and install a new grate and go from there.
One thing we all learn here is to go one step at the time, whenever possible. That way you might be able to ascertain contribution of individual components being fixed or replaced. Not always possible, but if you already have the grate that would be a good place to start along with sealing the tunnel. The idea is to prevent any air leaking into the pump through gaps and holes, most of the time being sucked in from the bilge actually. That's one of the main causes of "cavitation".
I really don;t think your impeller looks bad, but if you want to replace it the (plastic) wear ring will need to be swapped, too, most likely.
As you must have noticed, this forum is Yamaha heavy, the BRP pumps are quite different. Sometimes guys on greenhulk forum maybe helpful with the BRP pumps. I would at least check over there, couldn;t hurt.

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have time and don't mind working on it yourself, you could file, bend, adjust as best you can with some plyers and a file and try again. It may be the case that the defect is so small that it's not a huge difference on performance, and you can wait some more until you have more damage to send it in for replacement (Or to be refurbished)

Note the pricing differences to make sure it's worth it to refurbished vs replace. On a Yamaha the cost is very very close and you end up with a spare if you buy another one.

lyonsden2162

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Had a similar notch in my impeller. It was the cause of cavitation. I refurbished it myself in no time. No further problems.

That is great info. I can definitely do that. It is probably just like blending an aircraft prop. Thanks for that info.