• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wtf is on this boat?

aldo.raine

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm talking to a guy about a boat and he sends me pictures. He said it was docked in a marina for a while. Will this come off?

Attachments

plasticpig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any of the cleaners like Star-brite that are muriatic acid based will do the trick. Doesn't work as well on the metal pumps...but does to a degree. Just be sure to use protection when doing this!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those pumps will need to be triple checked after being left in the water that long. :hungover:

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So you're looking at buying this? If so here's my take although not really answering your question rather providing commentary . If it would come off completely, why didn't the seller do it before putting it on the market? Because the seller didn't, it would lead me to believe you'll either have a hard time getting it off completely or the seller was too lazy which then leads to me question what type of care was provided. I could be completely off base, but I would rather buy something I can visually see has been maintained the way I would maintain it myself.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wet slip my boat for a few years before I got a lift. The stain and stuff mostly comes off but it is a pain to get it clean. You may have a yellow tint remain. I would do this twice a year and kept a good wax on her to minimize the issue. On the metal after I used everything I could on it I used a small wire brush on a drill to get most of that cleaned up. As mentioned above I am surprised they are selling it like that unless they have the price lower and called it out. The best thing I ever did was get the lift!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any of the cleaners like Star-brite that are muriatic acid based will do the trick. Doesn't work as well on the metal pumps...but does to a degree. Just be sure to use protection when doing this!
@aldo.raine That's correct, but with some caveats. The active compound in quality hull cleaners need to be oxalic acid.
Muratic acid (which is chemically hydrochloric acid) will work, but like @Julian said - be very careful.
Oxalic won’t be painful if you get it on you (although has other health risks) while muriatic will hurt like hell. Oxalic will brighten wood, concrete, mortar. Muriatic will etch concrete and burn brick.

--

plasticpig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
If you enlarge the photo it looks like the owner has tried to scrub the dirt off and probably gave up as it is a nightmare without starbrite or on-off (West Marine equivalent).

Couple of other things I noticed, according to the HIN it is an 07, also, the scupper is missing it's flap and looks in particularly bad shape, you should budget another $100 and a lot of cussing and scratches on your arms to replace that with a stainless version, if it has been sat for a long time without use it may be worth budgeting for a new set of cables as well, they may be good but a good negotiating tool to get the price down further.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The trailer looks nice though

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If you enlarge the photo it looks like the owner has tried to scrub the dirt off and probably gave up as it is a nightmare without starbrite or on-off (West Marine equivalent).

Couple of other things I noticed, according to the HIN it is an 07, also, the scupper is missing it's flap and looks in particularly bad shape, you should budget another $100 and a lot of cussing and scratches on your arms to replace that with a stainless version, if it has been sat for a long time without use it may be worth budgeting for a new set of cables as well, they may be good but a good negotiating tool to get the price down further.
Good eye!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm talking to a guy about a boat and he sends me pictures. He said it was docked in a marina for a while. Will this come off?
Personally this wouldn't concern me at all. Don't know what model, but if it tests out on lake at 10,000 rpms or so and 44-48 MPH (assuming MR1 HO 23') and it's in good shape otherwise could be a good negotiating point. Others are correct....Oxalic acid will take that off and do no damage. You should NOT spend money on branded cleaners but buy bulk oxalic acid and mix it yourself in a sprayer. Mix with water and a mild soap just to act as a surfactant. Spray it on, lte sit, rinse off. Will do wonders for a white hull. I bought a 5 lb bag a few years ago and still have plenty left. Works great to remove rust from tools or any metal. I left a few tools outside and soaked them in a mixture and they are good as new. Just follow reasonable safety precautions..use outside, eye protection, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/OXALIC-Crystals-Cleaning-Removal-Remover/dp/B0147JPQAI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1494624823&sr=8-3&keywords=oxalic+acid

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I've had really good luck on my former boat with a white hull using "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. I just wiped it on with a sponge, barley scrubbed and rinsed with a hose. Then followed up with a good wax. I also put a tarp over the trailer while cleaning, to avoid getting hydrochloric acid on the metal.

IMG_1153.JPG

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would be more concerned about whether or not the jet pumps can be cleaned and smoothed. Performance will be impacted likely severely unless the hull and pumps are clean and smooth.

I am curious what top speed is on a water test?

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not big deal, but the rubber latch on the ladder is broke also. They are not expensive, But it all adds up.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It looks like the ladder was left down in the water. What did you decide?

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had really good luck on my former boat with a white hull using "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. I just wiped it on with a sponge, barley scrubbed and rinsed with a hose. Then followed up with a good wax. I also put a tarp over the trailer while cleaning, to avoid getting hydrochloric acid on the metal.

View attachment 55742
That stuff worked well for me after a particularly cruddy season. Make sure you wear a mask! Not just a painters mask either...a legit mask with filters. Especially if you use a pump sprayer and it mists! That shit will fry your lungs!!