• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

x series boats with DBT (drive by throttle) not hitting target speed

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Was out on my 255xd yesterday had 8 people on board, filled ballasts a lil lighter to play with my surf wave until i get my Gaitlin Fatsac. Issue is the way my connext works for water sports and namely the built in wake booster, you have to have a profile "Set" and running for the wakebooster to be deployed. No issues when i set the boat up lighter. The issue yesterday was as follows.

I have my WSL WSR profiles with ballast and their appropriate booster deployed, accel set to manual so i can change up the hole shot based on rider feedback, and my top speed at say 11.5. With 8 people in the boat and a lil less ballast cause i figured i had body weight, the boat would not hit target. 11.5 netted me barely 9mph and the wave never developed, the throttle is up all the way and the only way to try and add more speed is to hit the cruise "+" button frantically while the rider is suffering in the mess, then finally the boat tries to add more throttle, which then over shoots and you back it down a little and then the issue starts all over again.

Why doesnt the control loop in the connext not try and hit target? This boat as plenty of power to get there, its as if the control scheme clips at a certain amount of allowable throttle and will not try and hit target.

Theres no "manual" way to run either while having the wakebooster deployed. You are limited to 15mph and must have a profile set or the booster wont deploy.

Seems pretty stupid to have a boat you need to add weight to, which im fine with to get the better wake, but then the system cant even get there, when it does have the capability. This connext needs a serious update if this is running as intended.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My 242x, I run my profile speed closer to 13, then use my phone with a gps speedometer app to actually see how fast I’m going.

You are correct that the rider profiles won’t hold good speed when fully loaded. Once you get the speed set where you want it, it does do a decent job of maintaining that speed between runs. But, very frustrating that you can’t just tell it what you want and have it do that.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
My 242x, I run my profile speed closer to 13, then use my phone with a gps speedometer app to actually see how fast I’m going.

You are correct that the rider profiles won’t hold good speed when fully loaded. Once you get the speed set where you want it, it does do a decent job of maintaining that speed between runs. But, very frustrating that you can’t just tell it what you want and have it do that.
What i dont get is the boat has the ability to get to that speed, with more throttle, but you are neutered by the connext. Even with me setting to 15mph (maxed for wake surfing) its not even getting up to speed without shifting 2 people real quick upfront to gain the speed, but then Im frantically hitting the cruise down button to stop from heading to 15mph.

Kinda ridiculous to have 500hp, a boat that seats 12 (granted i dont even have that many friends lol) and you are limited to only taking maybe 3 or 4 with you.

Then im adding the gatlin 25ft fatsac soon...boat will be a slug.

What they should do is if i have it set to manual accel, allow me to throttle any which way i want and then clip the throttle at that speed i have set or a mph or 2 higher and slowly decay it. Aint much of a cruise control when im telling it 12mph and im sitting there at 9pm in a pile of shit backwash behind the boat.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sounds like the new boats have some different options than what were available previously. I have no speed restrictions in my rider profiles. I actually have one called “CRS” (Cruise) set to 24mph and 0 ballast that I use for just cruising the lake.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Sounds like the new boats have some different options than what were available previously. I have no speed restrictions in my rider profiles. I actually have one called “CRS” (Cruise) set to 24mph and 0 ballast that I use for just cruising the lake.
Yes wakesurfing with the deployable boosters is capped at 15mph. Even with it set to that it wouldn't even hit it. Rider is waiting too long in a soupy mess while I'm finger fucking with the cruise assist trying to get to speed. What I set is what the damn boat should do whatever it needs to, to get there. This is a major flaw, and game breaking for the 255 xe and xd series with the deployable boosters.

4michael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I set my speed control setting profiles at 13.5, 14, and 14.8 mph. with 100-120 lb kids surfing and all the ballast the 13.5 setting hits 11mph. The 14 works for guys in the 150-180 range. The 14.8 towing me (210lbs) hits 11mph ish. Make Minoe adjustments using the + - buttons to hit 11-12 mph if condition vatiables affect speed (wind, current, depth, weight differences on boat of surfer and passengers)