• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

XM radio who has it in their boat?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just like the title says, I am contemplating buying xm for this summer and would like pros and cons.

My boat came with the setup, I just needed to add it as I've had in my vehicle for about 10 years now. Worth it in my opinion, because you will find something for everyone. It's a nice backup for when you get tired of listening to iTunes or downloaded mp3 music.

I've had it - found I use the I-Pod more - haven't renewed it for this year. I think its a matter of personal preference. Nice thing about it is you can suspend service during the off season.

I use it for 5 months a year at a total cost of $20, totally worth it. Large variety of music as well as comedy, sports, etc.

Had it in the our 230, switched it to our 240. We use it regularly.

I bought an XM Onyx portable radio and a house and portable car/boat kit. So when it isn't in the boat, it is connected to our home stereo. It gets lots of used between the two! Bought a lifetime subscription (which they don't sell anymore!)

Just like the title says, I am contemplating buying xm for this summer and would like pros and cons.

Something else to consider if you haven't already is whether your boat's system is Xm ready or just capable? The former includes the Xm box and antennae, the latter just means the head unit is set up to take these add ons.

I have it on my i-phone. I listen to it through my phone (I have an unlimited data plan, so it doesn't cost an arm and a leg).

Something else to consider if you haven't already is whether your boat's system is Xm ready or just capable? The former includes the Xm box and antennae, the latter just means the head unit is set up to take these add ons.
I have the clarion M303 in my boat, it is XM ready.

Thanks for all the responses, I will start shopping for a XM unit as soon as I find a dealer local to me.

I stream pandora through my iphone to my clarion HU. Works great unitl my phone overheats from sitting in the sun...

I stream pandora through my iphone to my clarion HU. Works great unitl my phone overheats from sitting in the sun...
I stream pandora right now when I can but there enlies the problem. When I can or using all of my data.

Mine has it, but we only used it for the first six months when it was free, I have a subscription in my truck and have for 10+ years now, but we usually let one of our teenagers DJ in the boat.

I use it for 5 months a year at a total cost of $20, totally worth it. Large variety of music as well as comedy, sports, etc.

How do you get 5 months for a total cost of only $20? I thought the price was around $16 per month?

Their usual bait rate offer over the past few years has been 5 months for $25. Just yesterday I got an offer in the mail for 5 months for $20. I won't act on it/activate it until May 1st, this way I will have it through September which is traditionally the end of my normal boating season. This time I will pay by check instead of credit/debit card since I have been nailed with the auto renewal at $12 to $16 per month after the special is over. At that time they bill/deduct for the whole year and it's on you to cancel it and get your money back.

For me its like clock work, when I'm putting the boat away for the off season/long term storage i call Xm to cancel, not suspend my service. When I'm ready to re-subscribe I make another phone call whether I have an offer in writing or not I ask for and receive it.

Good to know, I may have to do that this year.

I think its a good deal especially if you can't get a good fm radio signal where you are boating or you get tired of listening to mp3s. I especially like the uncensored comedy stations although I can't listen to then when we have kids on board which is most of the time in season.

I have XM on both cars/SUV, in home, and in an RV. Really enjoy the variety.
The sound quality is poor as this is a very compressed format. Not great for high listening levels but I don't miss a thing at the background levels I normally play it at.

I have XM on both cars/SUV, in home, and in an RV. Really enjoy the variety.
The sound quality is poor as this is a very compressed format. Not great for high listening levels but I don't miss a thing at the background levels I normally play it at.
OUCH!!! Right there just did it for me. I would be listening at higher volume and would want very good sound quality. I was actually on the fence about it and was wondering about the sound quality, Thanks @David Analog for pointing this out. I will just stick to downloading my songs.

Their usual bait rate offer over the past few years has been 5 months for $25. Just yesterday I got an offer in the mail for 5 months for $20. I won't act on it/activate it until May 1st, this way I will have it through September which is traditionally the end of my normal boating season. This time I will pay by check instead of credit/debit card since I have been nailed with the auto renewal at $12 to $16 per month after the special is over. At that time they bill/deduct for the whole year and it's on you to cancel it and get your money back.

For me its like clock work, when I'm putting the boat away for the off season/long term storage i call Xm to cancel, not suspend my service. When I'm ready to re-subscribe I make another phone call whether I have an offer in writing or not I ask for and receive it.

Thanks. I like the strategy.

Back