• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR 190 Check Engine Light & Alarm

JMAGG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bought a 2021 Yamaha Ar190 in September ..taken out twice with a total of 6.5 hours .. took it out last weekend and was cruising around and the check engine light and alarm came on. The on board screen display told me to shut down the engine and contact a authorized dealer .. checked oil level witch was fine and turn the main battery switch off for awhile then fired it up and display/alarm continued so I loaded it up and took her home ..Called the dealer and told me 30-45days before they could even look at it. Anything I should try/Check before I drop it off? thanks for the Help in advance

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bought a 2021 Yamaha Ar190 in September ..taken out twice with a total of 6.5 hours .. took it out last weekend and was cruising around and the check engine light and alarm came on. The on board screen display told me to shut down the engine and contact a authorized dealer .. checked oil level witch was fine and turn the main battery switch off for awhile then fired it up and display/alarm continued so I loaded it up and took her home ..Called the dealer and told me 30-45days before they could even look at it. Anything I should try/Check before I drop it off? thanks for the Help in advance
Was it an overheat alarm? If so, the cooling water for these engines is provided from the high pressure side of the jet propulsion pump. Look inside the nozzle at the back of the boat. There is a small white perforated plate. This is the "prefilter" on the cooling water line from the pump to the engine. Check that this isn't clogged, or otherwise covered with debris. If that is clear, you can look on the outside of the nozzle in the same spot. There are 4 bolts that hold a small plate onto the outside of the nozzle. You can remove these 4 bolts and look inside that housing to see if there are any clogs.

Next step would be to run the engine on a hose with city water pressure and see if you get the alarm again. Start engine, turn on water, turn off water, stop engine. That order ALWAYS. NEVER-EVER-EVER have the water on before the engine is running. It's OK to run the engine for 30-45sec it takes to turn the water on. Probably longer to be honest. With the engine running and the water on, you should see flow from the pump (out of that same white perforated plate in the nozzle), as well as our of the witness port on the starboard side of the hull. Hopefully good flow from both. If you can idle for 10-15min without the warning, then you're most likely good to go and test on the water.

Water test would be to back boat into water and start. Let it idle for a bit without an alarm, then head out. The idea here is to lean into it slightly harder and harder until the alarm either reappears, or you're running around at mach 5 with your hair on fire again with no problems :D From there you're either good to go, or you'll have the alarm again and we can troubleshoot further on the exact conditions that caused the alarm. Try to remember/write down exactly when/where/how/why it comes on. We can help from there.

Good luck!

JMAGG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u

thanks for the Feed back, I will definitely will take a look, not sure it matters but the Icon that was lit up Was in fact the Engine icon and Not the Oil icon or Temp icon...I'm going to hook the boat up to the garden hose today and fire it up again and confirm water flow like you suggested

JBNB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u

thanks for the Feed back, I will definitely will take a look, not sure it matters but the Icon that was lit up Was in fact the Engine icon and Not the Oil icon or Temp icon...I'm going to hook the boat up to the garden hose today and fire it up again and confirm water flow like you suggested
Good info from 2kwik4u. I did follow the advice given and couldn’t resolve myself. I had a similar issue with my 2022 Yamaha ar190 (5.8 hours) on May 5, 2022. See picture. Nothing sooner than June 29 to have it serviced. While I wait for service, I was wondering if JMAGG was able fix the issue. Anything helpful from the dealer that you could share? I can’t wait to get back on the water!!! Great forum. Thanks. C57DDEDF-4E1D-467B-9458-1F54675DEE88.jpeg

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This might be as simple as an O2 sensor especially if the engine was running fine, discharging water out the side and and discharging it at the pump/engine (which you would see when you were flushing it on the hose). Does this year unit have the ability to see the trouble code? Owners manual might show you how to find and read it. I've been through (2) O2 sensors and if the alarm didnt go off you'd never know there was a check engine light.

JBNB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This might be as simple as an O2 sensor especially if the engine was running fine, discharging water out the side and and discharging it at the pump/engine (which you would see when you were flushing it on the hose). Does this year unit have the ability to see the trouble code? Owners manual might show you how to find and read it. I've been through (2) O2 sensors and if the alarm didnt go off you'd never know there was a check engine light.
I finally got around to trouble shooting. No more alarms on dash and I have no idea why. I would like to say I fixed the issue but it seemed to fix itself. This morning I hooked up hose to port. First try, started motor then turned water on and alarm sounded with warning on dash. Pushed the “Next” button hoping to get a code but no response. Turned water off then stopped motor. Second try, same process, motor on then water on. Let it run for about 2 minutes with water coming out of side. Water off then motor off. Third try, started motor (no alarm) turned water on. Let it run for about 3 minutes. Water off then motor off. Same on fourth try, no alarms. Maybe debris or just a fluke. I’ll keep my service appointment for June just in case it reappears. Thanks for the advise. I hope this helps others with the same issue.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good Luck with all of it!

TimeOnTheWater07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I finally got around to trouble shooting. No more alarms on dash and I have no idea why. I would like to say I fixed the issue but it seemed to fix itself. This morning I hooked up hose to port. First try, started motor then turned water on and alarm sounded with warning on dash. Pushed the “Next” button hoping to get a code but no response. Turned water off then stopped motor. Second try, same process, motor on then water on. Let it run for about 2 minutes with water coming out of side. Water off then motor off. Third try, started motor (no alarm) turned water on. Let it run for about 3 minutes. Water off then motor off. Same on fourth try, no alarms. Maybe debris or just a fluke. I’ll keep my service appointment for June just in case it reappears. Thanks for the advise. I hope this helps others with the same issue.
@JBNB - Did you ever take your boat in last year and if so, were they able to figure out what caused the alarm? I just had this same experience with my 2021 SX190 (~58 hours) on Monday, and then found your post. I think I also restarted 3 times and the alarm didn't come back. I was originally suspecting low battery voltage as I think mine is getting weaker, but the only icon that lit up was the engine.