• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR230 2008 question

CRAIG STEFICK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,

I own a 2008 Yamaha AR 230. I have owned it for 1 year. I stored it for about 6 months and did not use Sta-bil (dumb move I know). I serviced the oil, filter and plugs. When I took it out one of the motors would not perform the same as the other. It would stop at about 8500 RPM. I’m thinking the injector or fuel lines were clogged with bad gas. I just bought Sta-Bil 360 marine to put in my gas tank. Will this work or should I get an injector cleaner and what kind? Thanks for any help you can give. The other motor runs like a champ.

The boat is in freshwater.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pull the plugs and see what they look like. It's not the lack of stabil. Check the throttle opening all the way too.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Quite likely it is the spark plugs. Change them in both engines.... look for differences in plug condition from one engine to the other and from one cylinder to the next within the same engine. Keep track of which plug came from which engine/cylinder... this could prove useful if further troubleshooting is required.

BUT... strongly suspect plug change will solve the issue. MR-1 engines are quite plug-sensitive. Good luck!

Edit: just re-read where you said you "serviced" the plugs... did you replace with fresh plugs already? What type of plugs? If iridum, normal recommendation is do not mess with gaps as the electrodes are very fragile. If not iridium, checking gaps is not a bad idea.

...if you did anything other than replace all plugs with fresh plugs that meet OEM specs, do that next.

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you "serviced" the plugs, make sure they are all plugged back in. If you still suspect a fuel issue, add some new fuel, non ethynol preferred, and add some SeaFoam, it will cleanout any deposits in the fuel system or condensation left by untreated ethynol fuel in a less than full, while stored, fuel tank.

But if it was a fuel quality issue, I would expect to see similar issues in both engines.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also suspect plugs and even if you did service them before change them on that engine to brand new ones, it's an easy diagnoses and if it still doesn't work you still have a brand new set of plug for the next change,

If it's not plugs take your air cleaner off and look at your throttle cable to make sure it's has full movement, maybe when doing the plugs something is restricting it,

otherwise, Seafoam

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Be sure you did not overfill the oil on the engine causing you issues or if it smells like fuel as you could have a defective injector leaking fuel in your oil and blocking your air filter element.

CRAIG STEFICK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I just wanted to update my fix. I added Star-Tron and planned on running it out. Since a majority talked about the plugs, I went to pull them and inspect when I noticed that one of the wires came disconnected. Not sure how it came off but glad it’s fixed. Thank you all for the help!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad you found the problem, happy we were helpful. Thanks for following up.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it's usually just that easy, a plug wire, a lanyard or switch or battery cable, always eliminate the easy stuff first