• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha can't fix my new ar240ho. Ugh. HELP*****

gmonarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a brand new 2016 ar240ho. This is my third Yamaha jet boat. My friend and I both bought new Yamaha boats. His is fine and my has a vibration in the dash from the steering cables chattering. Over 5000 rpm the cables make this annoying noise that comes thru the dash. Sounds like you have your tv on no station and it is turned up super loud. Drives me crazy. Took it to the dealer and they told me it wasn't normal. They spent a few weeks trying to fix it but They couldn't. I told them I would bring it back after the season. Since then I have rode in 2 brand new yamaha's that did not make the noise. I just got word today that Yamaha is telling dealer that it is normal. Yamaha did this by a video dealer sent them of my boat. Really. Dealer told me that Yamaha said one dealer has changed the complete steering box and cables and it didn't fix this issue. So other people must be complaining to. I see no other posts what so ever about anybody complaining about this though. Does anybody have this issue or know the cure. I believe this is happening on a small basis and it is getting swept under the rug. I asked yamaha to send a tech out and they won't. Spent over 50k for a new boat and I'm so dissapointed. Should of kept my old one.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like you have some sort of cavitation causing vibration. I would pull both pumps and inspect the housing and components for something hung up or otherwise amiss in there.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@gmonarch glad to have you on board and sorry to hear about your problems. It stinks when the leave you hanging.

Where are you at and what dealer are you using?

What other boats did you have?

I would think the dealer should continue to work on it if they acknowledge it's not right.

If the other dealer had replaced the steering box and cables that only leaves the jets to cause the problems, maybe the are loose, incorrectly aligned or as bruce suggested some sort of cavitation at work.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well it's not normal that's for sure. If Yamaha refuses to do anything then the next step unfortunately is an attorney. Maybe something simple like the jets aren't aligned properly and are fighting each other causing the vibration. You need to find out exactly where the noise is coming from, the cables themselves, the dash, the gauges? Do they make a noise in engine compartment also?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Location? Perhaps find a knowlegable board member using user map?

gmonarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just found a thread on here that is titled white noise from steering wheel. That's exactly my problem. I'm not the only one with a issue. Who has the fix.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just found a thread on here that is titled white noise from steering wheel. That's exactly my problem. I'm not the only one with a issue. Who has the fix.
Did you notice the posts in that thread about bundling the cables under the gas tank hatch inside a pool noodle being the fix?

gmonarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep I pulled hatch. I don't think there was enough room for noodles but I will check again.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Is there clearance to slide some of the 1/2 inch water pipe insulation over the cables ? Same principal just not as wide.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You also have to wonder what the actual cause is, could the cables be too close to an engine or is one of the harmonic vibration dampeners bad on an engine or the rubber between them sending vibrations to the pump and back through the steering cables to the helm like a stethoscope .
Or maybe the cable is in contact with a water box and picking up vibration from the exhaust ?
I recall when I had a leak in my nano hull when the water was high enough and made contact with the coupler at the end of the engine it made the hood vibrate at a very high pitch as soon as I went on plane. So a coupler that is out of balance will cause a lot of high pitched vibrations It didn't sound like the engine was doing it.
It sounded like the front of the ski was screeching. I had to stop and investigate to see what the real cause of the vibration was.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Naaaa if it fixes it you should make a new video and show Yamaha so they stop telling people it's normal that's just sad if they really said it's normal.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@gmonarch, sorry to hear about your problem. I've had many "it's normal" responses from dealers and from Yamaha, but you should be persistent.
I had the "white noise" issue with my boat once around the 8 hour mark. It lasted for one outing (about 30 minutes) and it did seem to be affected by engine rpm. It reminded me of an analog tachometer that has gears that are wearing out.
I was going to tell my dealer about it when I brought it in for the 10 hr service, but the noise went away the next time that I took my boat out, and it hasn't resurfaced over 80 hrs later.
I don't know what caused it, and I don't know why it went away. I did nothing to try to correct it, didn't touch the steering cables, didn't mess with the tachs, nor with the electronics.
I know that the above doesn't help you other than maybe give you hope that it will fix itself as the boat breaks-in.

gmonarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My noise actually changes as you turn the steer wheel from right to left. Worse when you go straight. I just put another call into Yamaha. Waiting for return call but as far as they are concerned it is normal. I found on this site a guy in Alabama that has same issue. I guess I don't understand if I bought a car and you complain they fix it. I spend over 55k on a boat and they can just say it is normal without even seeing the problem. I made three videos and with the engine noise in the video you real can't hear what is going on. So there is no way they know what my boat is doing. Dealer says it's not normal though. Doesn't that mean anything. I don't get it.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you checked the cable hardware around the nozzles? It sounds like something is amiss back there.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Bottom line is the dealer needs to diagnose the problem and get Yamaha to make it right. That is why you have a warranty. The need to repair or replace. Don't except a blow off answer of it sounds normal on a video. Push them as hard as necessary or get it resolved, if that fails get an attorney involved. You do have rights!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@asclarch
Wow! That was a great source of information .