• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Connext System - Concerns

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will a Yamaha boat start and run if the Connext screen fails?

We're looking into purchasing a new '19 Yamaha boat with the Connext screen/system (an AR190 to be specific). One of my main concerns with the updates to this particular boat for 2019 is the new Connext screen. If/when the screen fails years down the road, will the boat still be able to start and run without issue? I understand that I wouldn't be able to see speed/rpm/fuel without the screen, but I'm worried that if the screen or computer stops working that the boat will be non-operational. Does anyone know the answer to this for sure? I can tolerate not having a screen as long as the boat runs, but if the screen fails and the boat is non-operational I could be without a boat for months during prime-season in the event of a screen failure.

I tried posting this in the 190 boat section, but didn't get any responses. Hoping if I broaden the audience someone may know the answer to this. Thanks for your input!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe the new 190s, not being E-series (w/fly-by-wire throttles), will be fine.
That's one reason I chose an AR240 in 2016, it has mechanical throttle cables to operate the reverse buckets.

--

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would think the controls would still operate if the electronics went out, not sure about the ethrottles though. To me it's worth the risk: the 12-inch Connext is a quantum leap ahead of the display on my 2013. Lots of things can break and make a boat inoperable. That's why there's Seatow.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There have been lots of electrical communication gremlins reported in the e/x series connext 1.0 boats. Those issue have been reported to limit but not completely disable throttle operation and buckets can be manually controlled. Those issues have also impacted other non-critical systems like audio. By contrast connext v1.0 that are not e/x-series will 100 percent operate although perhaps will some warning beeping going on for communication errors but those will not affect propulsion in anyway and have been very rare in non e/x series boats. Connext 2.0 has had far fewer issues on the e/x series boats. I love electronics but they are not the answer for everything. IMO the electronic throttles and buckets are a complication that was not needed beyond being smoother. The way they were implemented adds additional failure points.

The implementation in the AR 190 is more like in the AR240 or 242 LS in that it is just an integrated infotainment screen similar to today's cars and yes the boat will still operate if the screen fails.

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info everyone, that is great news and exactly what I was looking for!

JFBSPB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
2019 242 se with less than 30 hours, Display went out yesterday. We were 12 miles out at a barrier island and we had no mechanical problem or alarms on the way back to the dock. The joystick went out as well. I am headed down to the boat today to see if I can find a reason. Any help would be appreciated.

Kaston10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Bought my boat in July and it’s never functioned properly. The stereo has never worked properly, the source functions have had a lock icon preventing you from switching back and forth. I’ve had 2 connext screens installed, both failed. It’s been a miserable first time boat owner experience. I’ve spent hours and hours with the dealer working to fix the issues. I’ve been on the phone with Yamaha who just tel me they’re trying to diagnose the problem- sure while I wait six months for them to fix it. All I want is a boat that works!! Here is a photo after the new screen was put in “with the fancy new software”. Total joke.55F75566-1005-4CE9-9DA1-3542467A73E6.jpeg

Kaston10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here we are driving out to the lake and the screen never loads. Just stuck on the Yamaha start up logo. Had family in town so I said he’ll with it, we’re going out without the screen functioning. $80k and the dashboard doesn’t work. 14B83832-CF6D-44BA-801A-F42EAD59148D.jpeg

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is not good guys, very concerning to say the least. What a horrible experience having just spent this kind of money and can’t get the very basic things to functions properly. Very sorry to hear of these bad experiences, please keep us posted on your progress resolving them. Thx

mattimus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
This is pretty concerning for someone looking at a newer Yamaha boat.

nikw77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here we are driving out to the lake and the screen never loads. Just stuck on the Yamaha start up logo. Had family in town so I said he’ll with it, we’re going out without the screen functioning. $80k and the dashboard doesn’t work. View attachment 108234
Have you found a fix? Mine does the same or freezes when running.

Kaston10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes. Total pain in the butt but the dealer finally downloaded some software and it works now. Was a six month ordeal. Ordered a completely new screen unit, installed it, didn’t work, uninstalled it worked but the stereo still has issues. Replaced the back controller and that helped. To this day, not one cent of reimbursement for time, headache. Still pretty pissed about it.

Rieffel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We purchased a 2019 SX190 one month ago and the touch screen was not working at the time, but did display mpg, fuel and battery percentage, so we decided to take it while the dealership tried to order a new one. One month on and we're told it will be a few weeks more. Yesterday, the maintenance due alarm came on and we were unable to turn it off because the touch screen won't let us hit "Ok". We disconnected the screen because the alarm is awful. I can tell you that everything mechanical is working on this model EXCEPT Wake Mode and Cruise - they won't engage without the screen connected. The stereo is separate and works fine, as well as horn and lights. Obviously not ideal because we can't see our gauges or if any important alarms went off, so if it goes out, expect to go back to the spidey sense we used to use before everything was computerized. :)

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder how difficult it would be to replace the screen with old school analogue gauges...3 of them - speed, rpm, and fuel. The electronics are only under warranty for 1 year. I plan on keeping the boat a long time, so some day the screen will undoubtedly go out. It's good to hear the screen is separate from the radio and other functions.

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Almost 30 hours on my 2020 242xe. I’ve had a few issues with the BCU alarms That shouldn’t happen. Ive also hade a issue with fuses losing connection that threw a communication alarm. Fixed that myself. No issues with the screen tho thank god.
ive have a cpl jet skis that were problem after problem and know how miserable that can be.
best advise I can give is make sure you buy from someone you’re reasonably sure you can trust to do the right thing. I drove 2 hours to a dealer because I don’t trust the one 30 minutes from my house.

Danor1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
i friend of mine had the exact same problem with Yamaha Connext System which is like soups. it looks like that something common among them

Last edited:

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For a company that makes audio equipment and musical instruments for years seems like they could manage to put a gauge package together that's reliable

rehj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I typed in "Yamaha Connext issues" in a search engine and found this forum and question. I just signed up so I can add my 2019 SX 210 to the failed Connext screens discussions and to also add an answer to the question. Our screen failed completely, full black at around 30-35 hours. We had an alarm that went off. I do not know if the alarm was from the screen's actual failure - and presumed loss of communication with the transducer - or if there was some other alarm it was reading but we simply couldn't reset it. Either way, the boat still runs with the Connext screen completely down. However, be aware it may have an annoying (it really is) alarm that might accompany its outage.

Also, this was diagnosed around May 6th and we were told it would be toward the end of June before a replacement would arrive and it was recommended we not run the boat without it by the dealer's service dept. I must admit, in the middle of Covid and the boat having a greater value to me than normal because of that, I kind of hit the roof. I called Yamaha. No cussing or yelling or putting people down in the call but also no doubt i found this unacceptable. As I told them, I bought a new boat, I bought the maintenance plan and I bought the extended warranty so I could avoid many of the problems found in boating. And, to top it off, to be down for 6-8 weeks when it was really "needed" was unacceptable. Anyway, they found what they call a hero unit. A unit with a problem but is still operable. I was led to believe it had a chip or scratch in the screen - something cosmetic. It worked for a week or two but then started giving transducer connection errors and, maybe after an hour of boating, would all of a sudden start registering speed and depth. Now, it rarely works. Still waiting for replacement. With the testimonies in this forum and the 6-7 week lead time, I would think that might be indicative of a greater-than-normal failure rate. And I was told the retail price of the part was either $2200 or $2300.

Last edited:

mattimus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
you would think they could develop something for over the air updates or something like automobiles use. Its not like this is a cheap part! Very scary for someone looking at Yamahas.

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rehj, sorry to hear about your screen. It seems it’s inevitable that these screens will go out someday.

Does anyone know if it’s possible or reasonable to replace the screen with analog gauages if it were to break? I’m thinking mph, rpm, fuel, and perhaps voltage.