• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Integrated Chartplotter

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have an offer on a 2017 242XE and have some questions regarding chartplotters:

1. Has anyone found a way to integrate a chartplotter to the existing E-series 2015-2017 display? Any inputs? I would imagine there must be a way, just wondering how difficult it is.

2. How good is the integrated chartplotter on the 2018’s and newer that use the larger connext screen? What platform does it use? Or is it a Yamaha version? Is it any good? User friendly? I currently use (and love) Navionics on my phone but would love a fixed mount chartplotter.

I want to buy a Yamaha that doesn’t require tons of mods right after my purchase. Thinking about pulling my offer on the 2017 off the table to find a 2018 or newer if the chartplotter is nice.

Any feedback, good or bad, is greatly appreciated...thanks.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As far as I recalled none has posted anything about plugging a chart plotter directly to context. There have been some awesome build chart plotters thT look great. Dont let the chart plotter be a turn off. Those are very easy to install and they are tons of mounts. If the boat is in a good shape go for it

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
1. Has anyone found a way to integrate a chartplotter to the existing E-series 2015-2017 display? Any inputs? I would imagine there must be a way, just wondering how difficult it is.

2. How good is the integrated chartplotter on the 2018’s and newer that use the larger connext screen? What platform does it use? Or is it a Yamaha version? Is it any good? User friendly? I currently use (and love) Navionics on my phone but would love a fixed mount chartplotter.
Can't answer about the newer maps feature in the Connext screens - very little info out there. They seem to be ok since no one is complaining about them.
😀

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I recently purchased a 2020 242SE that has the 12" Connext screen. I'm planning on removing the phone holder to the right of the display and installing either a Simrad GO5, GO7, or Cruise5. The built-in map, in my opinion, is "better than nothing" in that it shows your position on a map, allows you to enable bread crumbs, and allows you to tap a location on the map to be your desired waypoint. The mp orientation appears to always be North up (which drives me nuts). Essentially usable per outing on the boat. It doesn't allow you to save routes or destinations, etc.
If I am wrong someone will hopefully chime in but I have only had the boat a few weeks, 2 outings, and haven't had much interest in the built-in chart since discovering its limitations.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having the map always north can be very helpful if you can get used to it.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I recently purchased a 2020 242SE that has the 12" Connext screen. I'm planning on removing the phone holder to the right of the display and installing either a Simrad GO5, GO7, or Cruise5. The built-in map, in my opinion, is "better than nothing" in that it shows your position on a map, allows you to enable bread crumbs, and allows you to tap a location on the map to be your desired waypoint. The mp orientation appears to always be North up (which drives me nuts). Essentially usable per outing on the boat. It doesn't allow you to save routes or destinations, etc.
If I am wrong someone will hopefully chime in but I have only had the boat a few weeks, 2 outings, and haven't had much interest in the built-in chart since discovering its limitations.
You can have the maps updated - there's a microSD card in the back and it comes with base maps for all of N/A or the world. For more details you need to update with maps for your area. The display is an Actia and uses Navionics map data. Your dealer should be able to get your card activated and updates installed for your area. Might be what you want. If not, then you can always add a chartplotter like you said.

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You can have the maps updated - there's a microSD card in the back and it comes with base maps for all of N/A or the world. For more details you need to update with maps for your area. The display is an Actia and uses Navionics map data. Your dealer should be able to get your card activated and updates installed for your area. Might be what you want. If not, then you can always add a chartplotter like you said.
Thanks for the tip. Didn’t know there was a card. Popped it out and activated/updated it on the Navionics website with detail for my area. Haven’t had the chance to try it out yet to see the difference in detail.

also removed the dash and just installed the GO5 XSE. I bought the Platinum+ card for it do get max detail/options. So far very impressed with what the GO5 can do...and considering it was only $320 (HDI transducer) it is quite a bargain.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the tip. Didn’t know there was a card. Popped it out and activated/updated it on the Navionics website with detail for my area. Haven’t had the chance to try it out yet to see the difference in detail.
Curious how that works out with the update.
also removed the dash and just installed the GO5 XSE. I bought the Platinum+ card for it do get max detail/options. So far very impressed with what the GO5 can do...and considering it was only $320 (HDI transducer) it is quite a bargain.
Did you replace the phone holder with the GO5?

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Curious how that works out with the update.

Did you replace the phone holder with the GO5?
I was able to ultimately easily update the card with local detail. You download the chart installer program from the Navionics website. It will automatically detect the card once inserted. Had to make sure the device brand Actia was selected (so it knows the supported map features). Initially I couldn’t update as it said there wasn’t enough storage available. there was about 6GB of map data on the card. I used the option to delete existing map data then selected the local map data I wanted to download and downloaded it. as a side note, interestingly the Connext still displayed map info even when the card was not inserted. i haven’t had the chance to compare the map with the updated card inserted vs removed.

and yes, the GO5 is where the phone holder was. I will relocate the phone holder somewhere else, just haven’t decided where yet.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How much was it to update the maps on the connext plotter?

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was able to ultimately easily update the card with local detail. You download the chart installer program from the Navionics website. It will automatically detect the card once inserted. Had to make sure the device brand Actia was selected (so it knows the supported map features). Initially I couldn’t update as it said there wasn’t enough storage available. there was about 6GB of map data on the card. I used the option to delete existing map data then selected the local map data I wanted to download and downloaded it.
That's what I figured, it's probably just an 8gig card. Good to know it works, thanks.
as a side note, interestingly the Connext still displayed map info even when the card was not inserted.
Huh...it must use the card to load the maps into onboard memory? That's interesting...
and yes, the GO5 is where the phone holder was. I will relocate the phone holder somewhere else, just haven’t decided where yet.
I've been thinking about getting a second holder and installing it for the passenger seat area, probably inside the comming panel.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How much was it to update the maps on the connext plotter?
I believe it's free to activate the card ( @Drexx3 can confirm), then you can update the map info as often as you want for one year. After that you need to pay for a yearly subscription to update the info from Navionics.

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Compatico is correct!...free for the first year.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here’s a pic of my new dash layout with the GO5 installed...
Good job, nice and clean. I don't think we'll have room to do that on the 195s dash.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does anyone have a picture of where the card actually is located. Haven't looked yet and it may be obvious, but a picture would be helpful.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was able to ultimately easily update the card with local detail. You download the chart installer program from the Navionics website. It will automatically detect the card once inserted. Had to make sure the device brand Actia was selected (so it knows the supported map features). Initially I couldn’t update as it said there wasn’t enough storage available. there was about 6GB of map data on the card. I used the option to delete existing map data then selected the local map data I wanted to download and downloaded it. as a side note, interestingly the Connext still displayed map info even when the card was not inserted. i haven’t had the chance to compare the map with the updated card inserted vs removed.

Questions for you :
1. When you updated the existing SD card does the new update allow you to zoom in closer?
2. Does the update show depths and channels?

FLiPSyDe71

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just did this process.... I updated the card, but I still don't see depths. Pretty disappointing.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just did this process.... I updated the card, but I still don't see depths. Pretty disappointing.

I found out this is because our conext screens do not accept sonar charts