• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha jets in salt water

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have been kicking around relocating to the Gulf area. I see a lot of outboards in use (we're at the Gulf now), so I assume that they are the best for saltwater?
I see plenty of Yamaha jet skis as well. How do the Yamaha jet boats hold up with regards to maintenance, etc in salt water?

I would be looking for a home on a canal with a boat lift. Are the jets any more maintenance than other engine layouts? I was also wondering if getting a place on a freshwater river would help out, rather than lifting the boat out of a saltwater canal. (Thinking that maybe the trip through fresh water would flush the engines for me.)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My guess is that you are more likely to find brackish water than fresh so you will still want to flush the engines.

You will want a lift regardless of the type of water. As the boat sits in the water stuff starts to grow. The longer it sits the harder it is to clean off.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it holds up very well, I've boated in salt water only for almost a year and my jets and everything look just as new as when I bought the boat. I wash it every time I take it out of the water, and of course flush the engines. I left it in the water over 4th of July weekend and it already had a little scum line on it just after those 4 days so I wouldn't leave it in the water very long at all. It was easy to clean off but it would suck if it stayed there for a couple weeks I imagine.

I found a rental house on the water that has a lift, we might move into that in Octoberish if the guy will have it ready to rent by then.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have no reservations whatsoever about recommending a Yamaha jet boat for saltwater boating. I bought new in 2008 and trailered for the first four years, flushing and rinsing to excess after a day on the water. For the last two years I have been in dry storage, and at the mercy of others to flush and rinse. The longest my boat has been immersed in salt water was seven days during a trip to Key West this past summer.

The pump housings, intake grates, and impellers look fantastic, normal signs of wear, and the anodes are worn maybe 20%. My corrosion issues were due to simple neglect, and were with all of the clamps under the clean out tray... I'm sure you have seen the post about that. :oops:

Keep the engines flushed and rinse the pump housings and engine compartment with fresh water from the hose... use a corrosion preventative like T9 or Fluid Film on all the clamps and other metal parts, and all should be fine.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely get a flushing agent like Salt Away for wash downs after use.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just took mine out after 5 days in salt water. Tow valves allow me to flush with fresh water while sitting in the salt.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No problem with the Yamaha in salt water. They take it very well. The materials used on the stern are all selected to be used in salt water. The trailer is another issue. You must have an aluminum or galvanized trailer.

Flushing your engine(s) after use in salt water is a must. Use Salt Terminator or Salt Away. They not only clean out the salt but also leave a coating inside the engine to protect it. When I boated in salt water my clean up procedure would take about an hour but the boat looked great after years of use in salt water. I'm speaking of a jet ski but the principles are the same.

Troy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The biggest difference is I take more effort to clean the boat after salt water use versus fresh. You'll want a lift. Even the outboard guys put the engin in the up position and out of the water while leaving the hull in the water. You'll be surprised at how fast crap can grow in salt water which is why boats left in the water use anti fouling paint. Also by lifting the boat you decrease the chances of barnacles. Also I tend to use a lot more spray T-9 to cover everything. Even with the boat lifted you can still get a salt film on things. The majority of canals will be brackish which is good. When I'm in the gulf area I keep my boat in a bayou that is feed by fresh water which cuts down the salt even more.

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It's my first year as a boater up here in the NY salt. I'm sure that I'll offend some with this but I keep my boat in the water and take it out to clean biweekly. What I have found so far is that it cleans up pretty easily with car wash soap and Salt Away using a brush on a extension pole. I use Eagle One Nano tech wax and it seems to hold up well. I spray down the jet nozzle and linkages with CRC 656. I also use it on the engine. The sacrificial anode is taking a hit but I see no corrosion elsewhere. After about two weeks in the canal with regular use, I notice the film buildup on the hull but again it cleans up pretty well...

Troy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's my first year as a boater up here in the NY salt. I'm sure that I'll offend some with this but I keep my boat in the water and take it out to clean biweekly. What I have found so far is that it cleans up pretty easily with car wash soap and Salt Away using a brush on a extension pole. I use Eagle One Nano tech wax and it seems to hold up well. I spray down the jet nozzle and linkages with CRC 656. I also use it on the engine. The sacrificial anode is taking a hit but I see no corrosion elsewhere. After about two weeks in the canal with regular use, I notice the film buildup on the hull but again it cleans up pretty well...
I think you are doing just fine by taking it out twice a week. That will make all the difference in the world.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MOA_Chaser Where are you thinking of moving to?

The salt is not that bad as long as you clean and treat well. If you get lazy, you will pay. The downfalls of salt are covered up by our year round ability to go boating---but you gotta move this far South to enjoy that part.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MOA_Chaser Where are you thinking of moving to?
We're not sure yet, we're still in the research phase. We're in Fort Myers Beach for the rest of the week. We came down in July to see just how bad the heat would be... it's very manageable. I wouldn't want to live in a touristy area like this, though it's fun to visit.

Some areas of concern... the increased flood insurance rate increases of recent years. It seems like the housing prices look so tempting because it costs so much to insure a waterfront home. I would prefer to be inland a bit, and have canal access to the Gulf, I'm not sure if that helps the rates much though.

Also, my current job (software development) allows me to work remotely so I can live anywhere I want as long as I have internet. However, should my employment situation change with my company, I wouldn't want to find myself with a new house in a area looking for a job 200 miles or so from a tech center area. So I have to look into a place where I could find a programming job within an hour's commute as well.

Not required, but would be nice... a local boat hangout spot. Sandbar, whatever... :D

Jimonthebeach

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suggest to talking to several insurance agents in the area (Florida Gulf Coast). The whole FEMA insurance issue is very dynamic. I believe that rates for primary single family have not gone up problematically. But............don't listen to me or anybody; talk to agents, get quotes. Compare them to what the home owner is currently paying. Low ground is, in the long run, a risk. Florida is low ground. Hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, forest fires, blizzards. Take your pick of areas and potential disasters. Know the risks, build strong, insure. http://tbo.com/pinellas-county/private-flood-insurance-options-expand-in-florida-20140410/

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep, I also thought that if I buy a residence, I may want to look into a corporation to buy it. Seems like some people are grandfathered in to the old rates and have a cap as to how much a year it can increase... But if they sell it, the buyer goes straight to the market rate, which is making some properties unsellable.

Forming a corporation might (depending on how the law is written) offer some protection from future legislation like that, as I could sell the shares of my corporation which lists the house as an asset... The ownership of the house wouldn't change. Also it would offer some protection if I decided to rent out the property in the summer, should I decide to spend my summers in PA.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MOA_Chaser Right now is about as nasty, heat and humidity wise, as we get here. If you are looking for water/canal access you need to look in Bonita Springs and Cape Coral. Good luck with the local job thing as we lack in quality employers South of Tampa. Make sure you drop in to Naples and look around!

Virgin Islander

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is it still holding up well in the saltwater, and di you paint the bottom? do you ever y=use "paste-wax"? I hear it's best for saltwater.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Close to 20 years on salt water with jet boats you can see the models listed in my signature . No real mechanical problems with the motors the steering and gate cables get tight and have failed but now I hang a hose with light weight oil at the end of the season it keeps them sliding and prevents binding . The trailers need the most maintenace the salt water beats them up. I have seen jet boats that sat in salt water and the jet pumps and intake grates get trashed it kills resale value.

Virgin Islander

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
thanks for the response, much appreciated!