• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha LX210 / LS2000 - Replacing Tach, Speedo and Voltage Gauges

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Initially I tried to repair the cracked tach and speedo housings with epoxy. That worked for a few months then I started having problems again and decided to replace the gauges.

This is the factory setup plus voltage and depth.

These are the new gauges

This view shows the new voltage meter as well

To install the tachs the connectors needed to be changed to 4pin metripack connectors. I soldered and shrink tubed the new connectors.

The tachs work great and include an hour meter. I need to put some more work into the speedo pickup. But I really enjoyed the new tachs. They are much less bouncy than the old.

The tachs are Faria THC052B, the speedo is Faria SE9262A, the voltage gauge is Faria VP7064. I later added a Faria GP7397A fuel gauge.

These are the connectors needed for the tachs http://greatlakesskipper.com/en_us/metr ... -connector

I also changed all the gauge bulbs out with blue LEDs. Amazon offers a set of 8 for $5.50 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047R ... UTF8&psc=1

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are the LEDs just a drop in replacement, or do they require modification of the gauges? I have to admit the blue looks fantastic and I'd seriously consider doing mine that way (though in red, to match my boat color!)

Thanks!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The bulbs are easy to install and even easier on our SX230s than they were on the LX210.

In this picture you can see a tan plastic piece sticking out of the back of the gauge on the left side. That is the socket for the bulb.

tachcra3-640.jpg

The socket unlocks after being turned counter clockwise. Then pull backward on it and it will come free with the bulb attached. Swap out the bulbs and reinstall.

My daughter changed them on our LX210

emmabulb-640.jpg

The LEDs should last longer than the factory bulbs and they use less power.

The blue bulbs helped to preserve night vision when driving at night, I believe red will be even better. We often end up making a 10+ mile trip back from the sourth end of Lake Hamilton at night so night vision is pretty important.

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That sounds pretty darn easy. I'll have to do that mod this spring for sure! Thanks for the info.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bruce, great write-up and thank you. A couple of questions:
- will the bulbs that you mention fit the stock gauges for an LS2000 or were those specifically for your new gauges?
- did you always have a volt meter? I don't have this on my LS2000 and I would like to add this.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@4x15mph The bulbs will fit just fine in the stock gauges.

I added the volt meter and depth gauge. The spacing is tight but you can use a 2" hole saw to make a hole to mount it where I did.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Looks nice.

atompa

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce I can't seem to see your gauge pictures, but I'm sure they look great. I googled the tach you mentioned and see that its max 7,000 rpms, is that correct? If so, has anyone found replacement high rpm tachs for purchase anywhere? I'd like to replace all of mine as well. Also, has anyone replaced their speedometer with one that uses GPS to measure speed?

Thanks.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@atompa, those tachs were correct for the LX210 that I had at the time.

The newer boats to do not have the tach failure issues that the two stroke boats had.

If you need or want new gauges https://greatlakesskipper.com has lots of surplus options at discount prices. Currently they have a number of OEM Yamaha tachs and some GPS speedometer options. They even have a dash panel for $350 that is full of Yamaha gauges.

atompa

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Bruce. $350 for the entire assembly is a heck-of-a deal but I've decided to hold off for a year and instead replace my, you guessed it, depth gauge instead. Great site, lots of options.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to revive an old thread bruce but do u remember the specific tacs and speedo u ordered? That site has an amazing amount of stuff on it... mine are fading and I would live to replace them this off season... or sooner!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to revive an old thread bruce but do u remember the specific tacs and speedo u ordered? That site has an amazing amount of stuff on it... mine are fading and I would live to replace them this off season... or sooner!
Ok scratch that.. i see the part numbers. But when i looked up the part numbers it showed me a tack that only goes to 7k.. i need 11k tacks.. also how dud you get around the warning lights that were on your old gauges? temp, oil pressure, no wake more.. extra..

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok scratch that.. i see the part numbers. But when i looked up the part numbers it showed me a tack that only goes to 7k.. i need 11k tacks.. also how dud you get around the warning lights that were on your old gauges? temp, oil pressure, no wake more.. extra..
This thread was for my LX210.

On the positive side http://greatlakesskipper.com has new old stock Yamaha tachometers and speedometer in the $70 to $90 range. Go to their site and search for "Yamaha Jet Boat".

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ahh.. i saw the ones i have now.. i sure would like the hours meter on it but oh well.. whats your take on a speed o that is gps instead of the lie o meter we have now?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed a chart plotter in 2014 and have not used the speedo since. In fact something went wrong with the pickup and it stopped reading but I never look at it anyway. I have been thinking about redoing the dash with just be tachs and a 7" or larger touch screen over the winter.

Laconic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I just bought an LX210 and most of the gauges are shot. I wish I could see the completed picture to see how you did it. The aftermarket gauges seem to be the only option at this point.

addisonm06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
When i owned my LS2000 one of the first things i did was replace the gauges. Neither tach worked and the speedo was glitchy. I replaced them with Faria Tachs/Speedo. It was very nice that the Tachs had built in hour meters that only counted when the engines were running; considering the LS2000 did not come with any factory hour meters. I also installed an LED bulb in each gauge. I installed the same tach/speedo as in this post. Heres a few pictures of them installed.

Attachments

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@addisonm06, thanks I could not find my pictures from 2012.

addisonm06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Your Welcome! let me know if i can help at all!