• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha moving on from the MR1

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Heard some info yesterday of a possible replacement for the MR1s coming late this season. Anyone hear this

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought they already had with the 1.8l and now the tr1?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The TR1 was announced in August and is already in use in skis. It is more powerful than some non HO MR1 engines used in skis but less powerful than the MR1s that we are used to in boats.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any changes to the pumps runored?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Any changes to the pumps runored?
Unless they want to add veins to the pump i doubt there is much to change. They already did what they should have for the svho skis and unless we get those motors no need.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I haven't heard any "official rumors" about them coming to the boats, but since they discontinued the MR1's, the TR1's would be an ideal replacement for the 21'ers for people who want the 21' boat but come in at a lower price point than the 1.8's, like myself. I also think you have to ask, since the 21'er is the oldest in the fleet, has lots of shiny new competition in the marketplace, and potentially has brand new engine option, wouldn't this also be a great time for a new 21' hull so they can market the full package as a completely new boat?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't heard any "official rumors" about them coming to the boats, but since they discontinued the MR1's, the TR1's would be an ideal replacement for the 21'ers for people who want the 21' boat but come in at a lower price point than the 1.8's, like myself. I also think you have to ask, since the 21'er is the oldest in the fleet, has lots of shiny new competition in the marketplace, and potentially has brand new engine option, wouldn't this also be a great time for a new 21' hull so they can market the full package as a completely new boat?
I agree with @Speedling, the pumps are pretty efficient and can not be improved by much at this point; even the new SVHO's pump is a throwback to a boat pump in venturi design.

But I will say this, if there is not a "quiet cruise" 2x 1.8l 212x coming out - I do not see myself as an owner of a new Yamaha sport boat in the future.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I agree with @Speedling, the pumps are pretty efficient and can not be improved by much at this point; even the new SVHO's pump is a throwback to a boat pump in venturi design.

But I will say this, if there is not a "quiet cruise" 2x 1.8l 212x coming out - I do not see myself as an owner of a new Yamaha sport boat in the future.
What about a big roaring loud v8?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about a big roaring loud v8?
But seriously, NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) is my only issue with the boats, I find it very frustrating. They (Yamaha) make a whisper quiet outboards.

Yes, I do feel bastardized.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@swatski , You just described what I hope to see in August. With swim deck storage, of course.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
But seriously, NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) is my only issue with the boats, I find it very frustrating. They (Yamaha) make a whisper quiet outboards.

Yes, I do feel bastardized.
Joking aside, i agree with that point on the outboards. I feel that thier outboards recieve a lot more r and d with fit and finish. Why can't those motors be put into the boats? Wouldn't that be something easy for Yamaha to do?
Wouldn't a 200hp vmax motor be a great fit to the 160mm pump? One on the 19' boats would be superior to the 1.8!
Think of the possibilities when you put the 250 hp twins in a 21' boat!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
twin tr-1's(more efficient, great motor in other machines), quieter cruise, and 10 person capacity, there will be no reason to NOT buy the 21. :)

tr-1 is like 40 lbs lighter too.

EDIT: also, a price point still in the 30's is important.

Last edited:

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
twin tr-1's(more efficient, great motor in other machines), quieter cruise, and 10 person capacity, there will be no reason to NOT buy the 21. :)

tr-1 is like 40 lbs lighter too.

EDIT: also, a price point still in the 30's is important.
They will still be underpowered compared to the X and SS 21 footers, but for those who are fine maxing out in the mid to low 40s a twin tr-1 should be a great boat.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Except you wont see that under $40,000.00:winkingthumbsup"

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They will still be underpowered compared to the X and SS 21 footers, but for those who are fine maxing out in the mid to low 40s a twin tr-1 should be a great boat
I am looking forward to see these show up in the boats. I will say my SX210 will hit 48 on bad day and has seen 50. Not sure where you are seeing low 40's. I will say the HO motors have more oomph out of the hole compared to mine, having run many side to side with other HO 21's.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking forward to see these show up in the boats. I will say my SX210 will hit 48 on bad day and has seen 50. Not sure where you are seeing low 40's. I will say the HO motors have more oomph out of the hole compared to mine, having run many side to side with other HO 21's.
I was mainly speaking in terms of max speed under typical conditions (gear and people on board not necessarily perfect conditions) . I am with there you a twin tr-1 is exactly what I am hoping for my next boat. I don't want to pay the premium for power that I don't really need.

Chris Oneslager

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I agree with @Speedling, the pumps are pretty efficient and can not be improved by much at this point; even the new SVHO's pump is a throwback to a boat pump in venturi design. ,

Sold my Seadoo Challenger 255hp model due to being louder than I would like. Was looking at a 2014 212x, but concerned about noise. I hear the 2016 242's make a great improvement in noise reduction.