• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha older 23' vs newer 21'

Jmauld

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I've been looking at getting a newer 21' yamaha (212ss or 212x), however with the recent abundance of the older 23' models on the market, they have been catching my attention.

How do the two models stack up against each other? I know the 21'ers will be a little faster. What about the engine noise. Is one model quieter than the other? I assume that the fit and finish will be roughly the same?

Also, on the older models, some are advertised as "HO". I was under the impression that all of the big boats got the high output engines?

Only the SS and X models 21' boats will be faster than an HO 23' model. The 23' boats began offering the HO engines in 2005.

My 212SS last year did about 56. My old 23 footer did about 48-50.

Only the SS and X models 21' boats will be faster than an HO 23' model. The 23' boats began offering the HO engines in 2005.
So it was an option even after 2005?

The 23' boats should do okay to venture out into the ocean on calm days, right?

212x faster than an 2007AR230? Hmmm someone better ask @justason about that.. Or maybe his is just slow... Lol:p Sorry Eric.

212x faster than an 2007AR230? Hmmm someone better ask @justason about that.. Or maybe his is just slow... Lol:p Sorry Eric.

Will is referring to the 1.8's I do believe running 56....?

The 2012 and newer 21' will be a tab bit quieter do to the lower rpm's. Also the fit and finish seems to get a tab better through the years as well.

Also the 21' will have more interior room than the 2009 and older 23' models but less storage. But less freeboard than the 2nd generation 23' models. The 2012 and newer models have trust directional enhancer, which helps a ton.

The 23' boats should do okay to venture out into the ocean on calm days, right?
I take my '09 AR230 into the gulf all the time. I think it does fine out there.

Also, on the older models, some are advertised as "HO". I was under the impression that all of the big boats got the high output engines?
Unless I'm mistaken, all '07-'09 230's had the HO.

Check this thread for lists of differences between the models:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/differences-between-the-newer-4-cycle-yamaha-jet-boats.29/

Unless I'm mistaken, all '07-'09 230's had the HO.
I think you are correct (although the XLS I've maintained has a SR230 sold in 2007--but this might be wrong!)

Some interesting Boattest.com test results

2004 SX230 48.1 MPH 280HP
2005 SX230HO 50.4 MPH 320HP
2007 SX210 47.6 MPH 220 HP
2010 242LS 50.5 MPH (HP undisclosed- guessed at 200x2=400HP)
2012 SX190 43.2MPH (HP ? 1812cc)
2012 212SS 56 MPH (320HP)
2013 SX192 50.6 MPH (HP? 1812cc Supercharged)
2013 SX240 51.4 MPH (HP undisclosed- guessed at 200x2=400HP)

I don't have the facts to back up this up but I thought when I was looking at the dealer in 08 the you could get an 230 SX with non-ho motors. I only remember because I actually considered it but now I'm glad I didn't.

2012 and newer boats all have dual line lcd readouts in the gauges as well. The 1.8's are wet sump (check oil like your car) max rpm ~7650, the older engines are dry sump (only check oil after fully warmed up) max rpm ~10200. The rear deck on the newer boats is lower to the water by a substantial amount, the rear ladder on the newer boats hangs like it's supposed to with an incline rather than swinging under the boat a bit like the older boats.

I think...In 2007- 230 boats were the first full HO motor model years I believe. Mine has/will 52mph on a GPS at times...most of the time WOT is 50.3... I guess when I raced Eric that day.. Mine was doing 55mph...lol
Steve

Welcome aboard @jmauled. If you update your profile we will be better able to advise you. For example, If you're boating primarily in the ocean top speed will be of little concern to you as most days wind and wave activity will limit your speed or you'll be airborne most of the time. The larger boat will give you a better ride in the ocean but if you are primarily using it on a lake you will use max power more often if you don't mind gulping fuel. You also want to consider the number of people and gear you're likely to carry.

I primarily boat in a lake, however after spending a week at the beach with the boat this year, my next purchase will have to be able to accommodate that better than my LX210. (Which shouldn't be hard to do. :) ). Also, coming from an old two stroke, I suspect the gas mileage will be an improvement regardless of which 4-stroke model I pick?

We always have at least 3 people on board. We often after 6-7 people, which is really crowded on our little boat.

I primarily boat in a lake, however after spending a week at the beach with the boat this year, my next purchase will have to be able to accommodate that better than my LX210. (Which shouldn't be hard to do. :) ). Also, coming from an old two stroke, I suspect the gas mileage will be an improvement regardless of which 4-stroke model I pick?

We always have at least 3 people on board. We often after 6-7 people, which is really crowded on our little boat.
Well size does matter. You'll get a little more seating with the 23 foot and more elbow room. Also 2007 and beyond has a larger storage compartment that will accommodate a porta potty if that's a concern.

@Jmauld Good to see you over at this board. Welcome!!!

I would love to sell you my SX210 so I can buy a 2015, but I don't think the boss would go for that!!! :D Oh well.

Look for me over at Jordan lake, hopefully you'll have a new ride for next season. Good luck!

I made the same transition. We loved our LX210. She was a great boat and we made lots of wonderful memories with her.

We took her out to Ship Island in the Gulf of Mexico in 2012 then we returned with our 2007 SX230 in 2013. There is a huge difference in the way the boats handle rough water. Due to the change in hull shape even a 190 is better suited for big waves than the LX210.

The gas mileage is at least double and having 10 extra gallons in the tank stretches out the time between fill ups.

With the LX210 we were always concerned about how many people we could invite. We have four in our family and most of our friends are groups of four as well. With the SX230 and seating for 10 that is no longer an issue.

I considered the 21 foot models but for me the decision came down to more boat for the same money.

@Jmauld I have an '07 AR230 you are welcome to check out. I am in Wake Forest. PM me if you want to see it.

@Jmauld Good to see you over at this board. Welcome!!!

I would love to sell you my SX210 so I can buy a 2015, but I don't think the boss would go for that!!! :D Oh well.

Look for me over at Jordan lake, hopefully you'll have a new ride for next season. Good luck!

We're planning on going to Jordan this Saturday to do a little fishing. Any chance you'll be out there?

@Jmauld I have an '07 AR230 you are welcome to check out. I am in Wake Forest. PM me if you want to see it.

Actually, if you wouldn't mind letting me know the next time you're headed to the lake, I wouldn't mind going for a ride on your boat. The biggest barrier that we have at the moment is that we do not know what the 230s sound like while at idle and at cruise.

If it's anything like our LX, we would probably pass on it.

Last edited:
Back