• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha PWC Recommendations

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My kids are interested in (the family) acquiring a pwc. And, truth be told, I’ve always wanted one.

I think I’m willing to put about 6-7k into the endeavor (including trailer).

After searching the FB, I feel like I’m looking at Yamaha VX Deluxe in around the 2008-2014 type range.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice for someone just getting started down this road? This would be to supplement our boat activities on trips and possibly go run around on our local lake after work and let my 16yr daughter and a friend go run around on at our local lake.

The lake is tiny and only allows pwcs on weekdays.

Kids are 16, 10, and 7. Oldest still needs to complete the boat safety course. And, she’ll give the younger ones rides. And, the wife and I would each like a turn, I imagine.

My uncle has a Spark that the kids ride a little last summer. But, I’m afraid those are too unstable as I’m a pretty big guy. I was looking at the GTI 130, but I like the Yamaha reliability of the MR1/TR1 engines. (I had an SX210 with the MR1).

@Ronnie - tagging you because I know you have experience with skis and always value your input on things.

Thanks!

Thanks for thinking of me sir.

With that budget, kids of that age and your requirements I recommend you look at 2003 to 2008 Yamaha fx Waverunners. These have the 140 and 160 hp motors, can hold three people and are very stable. The 140 goes about 50 and the 160 55. The 160 accelerates a lot faster than the 140. The 160 may have a remote lockout and Learning mode depending on the model year. You may be able to get two early 140s and a trailer for $7k. Not apples to apples because of the pandemic but I bought two 2006 fx with a trailer in 2009 for $10k. I sold the fx ho (160 hp) without trailer during the middle of the pandemic (April 2021) for $5k. The cruiser models come with the scalloped/tiered seat which is also a lot more expensive to reskin ($300 v $100) . Attached are two pics of what I see locally here in NCal.

If you want to slow it down a little shoot for VX models in the same year range, but keep in mind that the sport doesn’t have a reverse bucket.

Personally I would stay away from any and all pwcs powered by two strokes because I always seemed to do more wrenching than riding when I had them.

Good luck and please keep us up on what you get.

Attachments

• 3BF563C1-1D0E-478D-AE7D-78FFF4578B1C.png
    3BF563C1-1D0E-478D-AE7D-78FFF4578B1C.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • CE33917C-7DC3-4756-9E15-8B4C9B012E7B.png
    CE33917C-7DC3-4756-9E15-8B4C9B012E7B.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Still rocking my fx140 after all these years.

Certainly recommend the Yamaha “RIDE” system if you can swing a model with that. Its similar in concept to the DRIVE system on the upper end boats, where you have two throttles on the handle bars - right is your main throttle for fwd thrust, and the left throttle engages Neutral when tapped, and reverse thrust up to ~3k RPMs when held. This works as a brake on the water when engaged while retaining steering (think panic stops). Also makes the ski easy to maneuver in tight spaces/at the dock.

The other feature that could be beneficial is the swing down step to assist in re-boarding in deeper water.

I am not overly familiar with the models prior to 2015, so can’t speak to what models might have those features.

Good info @Ronnie. Totally agree on the two strokes. Any other brands you would consider?
There are not many to choose from after those that no longer manufacture pwcs, like Polaris and Honda are eliminated (I’ve read and heard from owners that getting parts is a real pita), That only leaves seadoo and jet ski.

seadoo makes some nice pwcs for sure but I don’t have any experience with the newer four strokes just a lot of bad experiences With their two stokes. I would stay away from all of their early four stroke supercharged models as I’ve heard and read of a lot of bad maintenance and repair stories.

Over the last 20 years whenever I’ve considered buying a used Pwc I would call (old school) the ski clinic in (local pwc repair shop) and ask the owner for his thoughts on it. Almost without fail he would say stay away from the seadoos because they are consistently in his shop for repair unlike the Yamahas which are there for maintenance. He also advised me to buy four strokes (after I had spent thousands with him on my two strokes) back in 2009 and ever since that time I haven’t called him much.

as for jet skis, my first pwc was a x2 by jetski but it was a two stroke and that was back in 1988. I have no experience with the newer four stroke models and don’t know anyone who owns them. I also rarely see them on the water. So I can’t say anything, good or bad, about them.

fyi I was a my local yamaha dealer a week or so ago and took these pics of the most expensive PWC they currently have in stock. By comparison I bought my first pwc in 1988 without a trailer and out the door for around $4k.

Attachments

• 5E6881F0-E3F8-4B42-AE2B-FC73BC94BF22.jpeg
    5E6881F0-E3F8-4B42-AE2B-FC73BC94BF22.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 8A3B35BA-CF33-4ACC-966D-07E663269358.jpeg
    8A3B35BA-CF33-4ACC-966D-07E663269358.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 11570F96-3A33-424E-ACDF-A13ABB5CA4A6.jpeg
    11570F96-3A33-424E-ACDF-A13ABB5CA4A6.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 49
There are not many to choose from after those that no longer manufacture pwcs, like Polaris and Honda are eliminated (I’ve read and heard from owners that getting parts is a real pita), That only leaves seadoo and jet ski.

seadoo makes some nice pwcs for sure but I don’t have any experience with the newer four strokes just a lot of bad experiences With their two stokes. I would stay away from all of their early four stroke supercharged models as I’ve heard and read of a lot of bad maintenance and repair stories.

Over the last 20 years whenever I’ve considered buying a used Pwc I would call (old school) the ski clinic in (local pwc repair shop) and ask the owner for his thoughts on it. Almost without fail he would say stay away from the seadoos because they are consistently in his shop for repair unlike the Yamahas which are there for maintenance. He also advised me to buy four strokes (after I had spent thousands with him on my two strokes) back in 2009 and ever since that time I haven’t called him much.

as for jet skis, my first pwc was a x2 by jetski but it was a two stroke and that was back in 1988. I have no experience with the newer four stroke models and don’t know anyone who owns them. I also rarely see them on the water. So I can’t say anything, good or bad, about them.

fyi I was a my local yamaha dealer a week or so ago and took these pics of the most expensive PWC they currently have in stock. By comparison I bought my first pwc in 1988 without a trailer and out the door for around $4k.

Holy cow you can buy a car for that!

I purchased my first PWC in October to supplement my AR250. I got the 2022 Yamaha JetBlaster and so far I LOVE it! It’s basically a Yamaha EX with higher handle bars. I wouldn’t want to be on it all day because it’s not the most stable PWC but it’s perfect for having fun when you want to do something other than the boat. I would highly recommend looking into an EX or if you can stretch your budget grab one of these!

Attachments

• C2313DC2-730B-4B69-A41E-A894ABC6109F.jpeg
    C2313DC2-730B-4B69-A41E-A894ABC6109F.jpeg
    974.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 5CC358E9-3260-4E95-8216-409FB5EEB9CC.jpeg
    5CC358E9-3260-4E95-8216-409FB5EEB9CC.jpeg
    632.9 KB · Views: 35
Good info @Ronnie. Totally agree on the two strokes. Any other brands you would consider?
I was looking at the Kawi STX 160, as well. Some reviews say more stable and heavier / stronger hull. But, if I’m buying now - I wonder if I’m going to wish I had the electric reverse/brake functions.

I’ve had the same thoughts regarding the Yamaha and the RIDE system and the older models. I also looked at the newer Yamaha EX Deluxe. I found a ‘19 EX Deluxe not to far from me with trailer for $8600.

I do want to try to stick to my budget, but I also am cognizant of the “buy 2nd boat first” phenomenon. I don’t want to be repeating this exercise next season. Lol

I’m a big guy, 6’4 400lbs. So stability getting on is something I’m concerned about. But, I also still want it to be fun enough for the kids.

I’ve only ever seen one person not smiling on a pwc, and he was being towed in by a boat. So, as long as it’s mechanically reliable - there probably is no real wrong answer.

Certainly recommend the Yamaha “RIDE” system if you can swing a model with that. Its similar in concept to the DRIVE system on the upper end boats, where you have two throttles on the handle bars - right is your main throttle for fwd thrust, and the left throttle engages Neutral when tapped, and reverse thrust up to ~3k RPMs when held. This works as a brake on the water when engaged while retaining steering (think panic stops). Also makes the ski easy to maneuver in tight spaces/at the dock.

The other feature that could be beneficial is the swing down step to assist in re-boarding in deeper water.

I am not overly familiar with the models prior to 2015, so can’t speak to what models might have those features.
I’m liking the idea of the full step a lot better than the EX that has the little step in the corner. That looks real wobbly for a big guy to get my knee on and climb on board.

Holy cow you can buy a car for that!
Keep In mind that this price excludes the sales tax (10% where I live) and trailer so the out the door price would be closer to $27k (for me).

P W C's are very dangerous 1678833385849.png

superjet for kids is great too

Attachments

• d538495_309478269142706_994124645_n.jpg
    d538495_309478269142706_994124645_n.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 737531_390468167710382_716648043_o.jpg
    737531_390468167710382_716648043_o.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 415856_222813044475896_1339707927_o.jpg
    415856_222813044475896_1339707927_o.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 24
spark for kids will be much better
Friend of mine has a Trixx and is getting rid of it. Says it’s fun for 15 minutes while you’re playing around. But, to actually ride somewhere says it’s just way too light and bounces all over the place.

They ended up staying close to the marina every time they took the spark out.

I had cheap skis before my boat. Had a seadoo rxp 215 (supercharged) and a seadoo gtx 2 stroke. I preferred the 2 stroke, other than it being carbureted and I am not a magician that can do carbs. The rxp was a lot faster, but just not as much fun.

Personally I'd buy a spark but I'm a lot smaller than you. I don't think you're gonna be that happy on any ski tbh except MAYBE that giant older seadoo. Skis from the 00s are a lot smaller than the floating tanks of today, that's why they were more fun.

I'd look at a Yamaha fx (ho of possible) or seadoo gtx personally. The supercharged seafood are FAST, but likely not a great choice for kids. They'll ride them dangerously enough form you with the lowest output motor.

I had cheap skis before my boat. Had a seadoo rxp 215 (supercharged) and a seadoo gtx 2 stroke. I preferred the 2 stroke, other than it being carbureted and I am not a magician that can do carbs. The rxp was a lot faster, but just not as much fun.

Personally I'd buy a spark but I'm a lot smaller than you. I don't think you're gonna be that happy on any ski tbh except MAYBE that giant older seadoo. Skis from the 00s are a lot smaller than the floating tanks of today, that's why they were more fun.

I'd look at a Yamaha fx (ho of possible) or seadoo gtx personally. The supercharged seafood are FAST, but likely not a great choice for kids. They'll ride them dangerously enough form you with the lowest output motor.
Yeah, I acknowledge that I’ll have a hard time due to my size. But, I just want to mess around a bit here and there. It’s primarily going to be for the kids.

I’ve been trying to stick to my $7k budget. But, as I look around it’s easy to start thinking that I should add 5k to it and get a new EX or VX or SeaDoo GTI 130 or a Kawi stx160.

I told the kids that if they’re serious we’ll have to sell their 4 wheelers that they never ride in favor of a pwc. Youngest daughter said yep, sell it. Oldest is thinking a little harder. Lol

If it's mostly the kids - the Spark is really hard to beat. I used to own a pair. They hardly use gas, maintenance is super easy, and the plastic hull is great when they run into shit. They are super light so if one gets beached, it very easy to get back in the water. IMO they are damn near bullet proof and are a ton of fun because of their lightweight.

If it's mostly the kids - the Spark is really hard to beat. I used to own a pair. They hardly use gas, maintenance is super easy, and the plastic hull is great when they run into shit. They are super light so if one gets beached, it very easy to get back in the water. IMO they are damn near bullet proof and are a ton of fun because of their lightweight.
I have a buddy talking me out of the spark. He’s selling his Trixx after a year. They say it’s fun for what it was intended for. But, if they try to ride it to their favorite swimming hole (maybe 25 minutes at 26mph) he says it just beats them up too much. (Good sized lake that gets some decent chop on windy days or big boating days with a lot of traffic)

Alternatively, my uncle bought a spark last summer and that’s what got my kids interested. Here on my local lake, we have much smoother water - and really no destinations to ride too. Lol. Any use at home would purely be for the fun.

The in-laws live on the lake and have a dock. It would be super easy to get a ski dock and attach to their dock and go play after we all get home from work. In-laws would probably love it because we’d be coming over more. ?

Another buddy says steer clear of seadoo for reliability reasons.

I’m not super hard on any of my equipment - surely reliability isn’t really an issue from the num 1 mfg in the market is it? Given that I’m talking about 4 stroke units aged 10yr or less.

Anybody else have any comments regarding brand choice / loyalty / whatever? Specific model suggestions given my needs.

Back