• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Service

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a quick question for the group. Our new FXHO is at 15 hours and I am about to do the first service. I plan on plugs and oil since we have had it 6 months and just plan on keeping an annual service and do plugs and oil prices have at the same time. Is there any reason to have dealer do the service they said they have to do am update via YDS for the computer. Ate they just trying to make easy money or is there reprogramming after break in they need to do? I know like Ducati motorcycles need a dealer for initial service wasn't sure if there is a Yamaha tech that knows or if y'all know. Thanks in advance.
Andy

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@veedubtek any input on this? @2nazt you may want to check greenhulk.net if you don't get an answer

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
thanks @robert843 just figured same as the boats as well, and I'm guessing no need for the reflash as I see boat owners from new doing their own maintenance without some limp mode happening.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Curious to hear what you find! I'm planning on doing my first service on both skis as soon as the weather cooperates, hadn't heard of any kind of update. We're up to 18 hours on these things already, and I don't see that slowing down anytime soon.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Both my FX SVHO and VX HO require the first service at 10 hours. I asked the dealership was there a requirement for the Yamaha Tech to do the service. I was told "no." I have already serviced my FX SVHO (both oil change and plugs).

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just did my service plugs and all. Figured the saltwater and cheap cost I'll do plugs and oil once a year. Little note the marks on the West Marine Oil Extractor are about 1 quart apart. Got just shy of 4 quarts out is that normal or should of tried more. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The dealer did tell me that if I didn't buy the oil from them (which they keep a record of all of the customers with their purchases) that I would have to show proof that I used Yamaha Lube for the oil change. Now I am not totally sure if this is a warranty issue or just a pitch to get you to buy the stuff from them. I put all four quarts in my FX SVHO (just did it last Sunday 50hrs service).

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
that is total B S and probably illegal, be sure to measure what you remove and only put in what you took out, then on the water you can top it off via the stick

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok, I would love to have some ammunition to go into the dealer and tell them that.... Give me some ammo....

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Excellent! I will bring it with me the next time I stop by...

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am new to the Yamaha jet boats. I agree that law prohibits a dealer from forcing you to buy his product. I was also told by the dealer that you must use Yamalube for your warranty.

I did some research and found out why I believe Yamaha is so strict about their oil.Yamaha oil is mineral based oil (4W 10W40) which is what I need in my 242 Limited SE. According to Yamaha, "Yamalube is the only oil “built around” the unique demands, operating characteristics and applications of Yamaha engines. Collaborating with Yamaha engine designers, our global oil engineers formulate each Yamalube oil from scratch, to be engine- and application-specific. In other words, nothing enhances the performance or protects the advanced design of a Yamaha quite like Yamalube.

"Yamalube is supposedly specifically designed for high output, high RPM engines and provides for 4 things:High “Shear Stability”High “Oil Film Retention”Motorsports engines run at high rpm and high-load conditions—much higher than cars. As such, they require oils that can withstand these demands, maintain their viscosity and feature advanced additives for oil film retention. Under these punishing conditions, a lesser oil’s molecules will break down or “shrink,” causing unnecessary wear and tear on your engine.

High “Oxidation & Thermal Stability”Motorsports oil must be able to withstand harsh thermal conditions in order to properly and effectively lubricate the engine and transmission. This requires highly refined base oil with additives to prevent oxidation. Otherwise, the oil will break down, compromising lubrication, and will create acidic compounds that lead to corrosion, sludge, varnish and possible piston seizure.

Friction ModifiersMotorsports engines must not use oils featuring high levels of friction modifiers. Friction modifiers can compromise wet clutch operation, cause slippage, decrease fuel economy and cause a rough run.

Many car oils feature high levels of friction modifiers in order to achieve the government mandated fuel mileage.All Yamalube four stroke marine oils are NMMA® FC-W® certified. What does this mean?Well, the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA®) has worked with industry leaders to establish testing criteria and performance standards for four stroke marine oil.Before an oil can achieve NMMA® FC-W® certification, it must pass a 100-hour general performance engine test, as well as bench tests for viscosity, filter plugging, foaming and aeration.

To gauge rust and corrosion resistance, the NMMA® FC-W® oil committee has developed the industry’s most punishing test. This proprietary test simulates a brutal marine environment, subjecting actual steel cylinder sleeves to extreme moisture and salt. Automotive oils simply aren’t formulated to withstand these harsh conditions, so they won’t come close to meeting the demanding NMMA® FC-W® standards.Oils that earn FC-W® certification have been proven to provide the performance and quality demanded by today’s advanced four stroke outboard technology.

These oils stand up to extended full-throttle operation, high loads and the salt and moisture-rich air found in a harsh marine environment.If you look on NMMA's website they list those oils that are NMMA FC-W certified. None of the top name automotive oils (Mobil 1, Castrol, etc.) are listed.

Bottom line that I take from all of this is as long as the oil you use meets Yamaha OEM standards, and is NMMA FC-W certified you have nothing to worry about. So, I will stick with the Yamalube....Mobil One runs about $8 a quart, and I can get the Yamalube at my dealer for $35 for a gallon jug. I have no horse in this race, except my 2 engines that are warranteed for 4 years....so that is my incentive to stick with Yamalube!

Last edited:

gixerdean

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
quick ? why do they replace the spark pugs. I'm assuming that after 10 hours the plugs would be still ok

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have never had an issue with warranty work and I put 650 hours of salt water use on my 2010 supercharged Yamaha , the only issues I have had with engines is the timing chain breaking at about 350 hours on one of my 1800 engines and now I finished breaking in my new engine so I do not use Yamaha oil or filters I do change my oil and filters every 50 hours but that is just what I have always done. I have 5 year warranties on both.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just understand that a 10 hour service does include more than just an oil change and plug change (for a boat engine...and I assume the same applies to skis). You will need to grease the bearing, lube all the linkages, they should check the engine codes to see if there are any errors....here is the maintenance chart for my old 2005 SX 230:

upload_2016-10-14_12-8-5.png