• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Suggested Anchor Locker Repair

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Picture of an invoice from over on Facebook - Is Yamaha really that clueless about a problem that has been around for two years?

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Seems like a legit solution, where is the problem :headphone:?

Last edited:

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For the life of me I don't understand why they never used a through hull fitting on this drain rather than a push through that was designed to have a hose attached to it.

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Big question here - found water level with the hole in the hull?????

How is that possible with all of the info we have seen on this issue. We know the water will drain through to the forward locker and to the bilge - or do we? Could it be that Yamaha tried to fix the problem by sealing around the anchor locker and the hull and now we have a container instead of a leak?

Finally - why will Yamaha not use the mountain of data available to improve their products - very bizarre in this day and time. I would love to hear from some of our senior members who have talked directly with the company.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Big question here - found water level with the hole in the hull?????

How is that possible with all of the info we have seen on this issue. We know the water will drain through to the forward locker and to the bilge - or do we? Could it be that Yamaha tried to fix the problem by sealing around the anchor locker and the hull and now we have a container instead of a leak?

Finally - why will Yamaha not use the mountain of data available to improve their products - very bizarre in this day and time. I would love to hear from some of our senior members who have talked directly with the company.
Judging from the encouraging letter I received from Dean Burnett, President of Yamaha, regarding my issues, I'm really not sure if they are doing anything differently. Is Corporate that disconnected from the factory floor? I'm waiting on the word about the warranty claim on the water under by battery compartment. Have they committed so many resources to rapid production that they have "missed the boat" (pun intended) on QC issues? This may take a wider push from the ownership to correct the problems e.g. consumer complaints, consumer lawyer representation.
The boats are generally great, but without great customer service to fix the issues, then there is no other recourse.

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey, that's my invoice! ;)

Yeah, the Tech's notes seemed very odd, so I wanted to post it for all to see. It really seems like Yamaha is pretty disconnected with the problem, or simply doesn't want to look into it fully.

After thinking about this note for awhile, the part that worried me was "found the water level with the hole in the hull"!? I'm up North, and this boat will FREEZE and THAW many times over Winter!

I didn't get a chance to look at the anchor locker yet, but I'm curious to see what they actually did!?

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm really trying to figure out how the heck there is water trapped up in that area? I need to go take a look at mine. I don't recall there being anyway to access that area??

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I think it's really pretty straight forward. Unfortunately not fixable, but theoretically explainable.
My assumption is that there is a freshly released from the mold hull sitting on the factory floor. Along comes Joe Bob with some type adhesive-sealant in a big air powered application gun. JB is then supposed to apply to the goo to the inside of the hull to act as a bedding for the liner which will be showing up shortly to be lowered into the hull.
Now JB could either:
  1. Apply the goo in a specific pattern, let's say vertically like tiger stripes from the gunnel down to near the keel line. If he did this, Any water that happened to get in between the hull and the liner would drain to the bottom of the boat and if you lift the bow up high enough, would drain back to the rear bilge area.
  2. Apply the goo any way he damn well feels like, maybe in artistic curves and horizontal stripes creating any manner of non-draining channels and voids between the hull and the liner. If he did this, there may be a non-draining goo vault that would trap water that leaked in, maybe into a void similar to the one pictured below at the anchor locker drain. Or let's guess that maybe water leaked into the void over on the port side, maybe where the fish box drain goes through. From there it found its way back to the other non-draining void that JB made back below the battery tray. Hmmmm.
Now, I'm not certain that this is the way our boats are built but obviously there are unfilled voids between the hull and the liner. And also, as the photo of my anchor drain shows, some of the void has filler goo in it.
I'll leave it you to decide if this is a plausible explanation. If it is, I feel sorry for those who have to store their boat outside in freezing weather and had "artistic goo JB" build their boat.

JesseP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Just a quick question, does anyone know if installing the thru-hull fitting in the anchor locker drain will void the warranty? I'd rather fix it myself than haul it 2 hours to the dealer.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I seriously doubt it. Besides, the warranty covers specific parts, issues, etc. and I can't think of anything that would be voided in the anchor locker by putting the fitting in there. Changing the boat in cosmetic ways doesn't void the warranty.I would think this is a cosmetic change since it doesn't materially change the way the drain is supposed to work i.e. drain water to the exterior. I've done it and so have others. I've had two warranty issues taken care of since the install having nothing to do with the anchor drain.

JesseP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Great, Thank-you! I took it out for the first trip last weekend and was suprised by the amount of water in the "Dry" areas of the boat.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Great, Thank-you! I took it out for the first trip last weekend and was suprised by the amount of water in the "Dry" areas of the boat.
You're not alone and I'll tell you how I got a bone dry bilge:
1 -5200 or 4200 the bilge drains. The part you screw the drain plug into was missing any useful amount of silicone
2-Add marine grade weather stripping around the access hatch in the wet locker and silicone the circumference of the wet drain locker from underneath. There was no silicone where the screws met the frame and where the hatch met the fiberglass. Tons of water got in there as it passed over the clean out plug.
3-Get that anchor locker drain fixed.
4-To make sure your changing room stays dry, remove the drain plugs in there and silicone them so water doesn't get around the plug. Mine might as well have been missing.

Good luck and let me know if that works!

I've posted a few pics on other threads and I think you can find it if you search under my alias. Here are some pics from under the wet locker. Water pouring in.

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 11.04.58 AM copy.png Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 11.04.43 AM copy.png