• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha Sunshade SBT

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honda East on Ebay is currently selling Yamaha Sunshades for $242.99 + $18.44 for total of $261.43.
This is a steal considering that most places sell them from $399 to $411. The only catch is there are only 4 of them left. There were 5 of them when I saw them last week but I went ahead and grabbed up. Still 4 available as I type this thread. So I suppose the first 4 people who see this and wants them gets first crack at them.

Below is the direct link to it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-SUN...ash=item440a606b9d:g:YyEAAOSwvApaDKaq&vxp=mtr

Honda East on Ebay is currently selling Yamaha Sunshades for $242.99 + $18.44 for total of $261.43.
This is a steal considering that most places sell them from $399 to $411. The only catch is there are only 4 of them left. There were 5 of them when I saw them last week but I went ahead and grabbed up. Still 4 available as I type this thread. So I suppose the first 4 people who see this and wants them gets first crack at them.

Below is the direct link to it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-SUN...ash=item440a606b9d:g:YyEAAOSwvApaDKaq&vxp=mtr
Do you know for sure those fit the 2015+ AR240 towers? I'm interested.

--

From what I've heard, I believe so. They go over the tower and sits on legs. I think there is only a small strap that goes to the towers. I saw someone on here have pics on the newer models but cant remember who. Either way I think I can find a way to make it work if not.

From what I've heard, I believe so. They go over the tower and sits on legs. I think there is only a small strap that goes to the towers. I saw someone on here have pics on the newer models but cant remember who. Either way I think I can find a way to make it work if not.
Thank you, great tip. I've looking to get one of those for a while.

Now - only 3 left there ;)

--

Haha very nice. Yes I've been looking to get one for while too but never did because of the price. When I came across this one, I was like this is meant to be. Lol. All the sites states they can be used with current boats with a tower so I hope that's the case. Only sucks cause I probably won't know until early summer when I really need it lol. Either way I could probably sell it for around this price if I don't like it and keep it like new. I think it's worth the shot.

Finally could do a little dry run/driveway boating today - Yamaha Sunshade trial.
It is very promising! Fits great, it can be fitted with the longer end either fore or back, it covers the whole cockpit deck. Quite nice. Will see if it can take any wind. If it does - it is a winner! Only needs it to stand up to about 15-20mph - we usually do not go much faster for watersports.
upload_2018-4-20_22-51-23.png

upload_2018-4-20_22-51-48.png

upload_2018-4-20_22-54-14.png

--

So I have really been thinking about making a bimini extension for a while but this could work. How long did it take to put up and any thoughts on where to store it on the boat?

Finally could do a little dry run/driveway boating today - Yamaha Sunshade trial.
It is very promising! Fits great, it can be fitted with the longer end either fore or back, it covers the whole cockpit deck. Quite nice. Will see if it can take any wind. If it does - it is a winner! Only needs it to stand up to about 15-20mph - we usually do not go much faster for watersports.
View attachment 72576

View attachment 72577

View attachment 72578

--
Oh ya. That's what I'm talking about. I cannot wait to try mine out. Glad you did it first. I was worried after reading few posts about it. In your photos it looks like it covers half the bow area? If so that's a winner. I will not use it on the go as I use the factory bimini for that. But for floating it seems like its going to be a winner. I plan on keeping my in the ski locker area. Hopefully it will fit there.

So I have really been thinking about making a bimini extension for a while but this could work. How long did it take to put up and any thoughts on where to store it on the boat?
I have a feeling this is about as good a bimini extension as you could possibly craft: very good quality, and about as big as you can possibly go - any larger and the boat would turn into a kite, yet still somewhat manageable. It is very very light and very very large..., easy to put together on land with no wind albeit I can not imagine doing it in any kind of a breeze, you would need several people to control the thing - or it would break or just go flying.

Two of my teenage daughters were able to put it together with no help which identifies the job as extremely easy, lol. I would think doing it by myself would be a 5-10min, but it is a very awkward structure to handle (because of it's size and lightness).

I'll update upon testing in the wild. I can see how wind could be a problem with this setup, but otherwise - I was positively surprised overall. It reaches over almost the entire bow, and you can still tow from the tower - amazing. I would think that possibly adding zippers all around - you could turn it into a light tent enclosure. It can be installed the long side fore or back - if you want the swim deck covered.

The package included 4 extendable poles, and overall quality is pretty good. There is only one narrow sleeve/bag for storage - and it will hold the poles but it is impossible to fit both poles and the canopy. Storage is not an issue - this easily fits in a ski locker or the rear, or strbd front storage compartments.

EDIT: My factory bimini is off for the winter, when reinstalled the Sunshade will fit over it, of course.
Also - pictures don't do this thing any justice, it is very tricky to photograph as the perspective makes it look different, especially with a wide angle lens of my phone camera, lol.

--

Last edited:
I have a feeling this is about as good a bimini extension as you could possibly craft: very good quality, and about as big as you can possibly go - any larger and the boat would turn into a kite, yet still somewhat manageable. It is very very light and very very large..., easy to put together on land with no wind albeit I can not imagine doing it in any kind of a breeze, you would need several people to control the thing - or it would break or just go flying.

Two of my teenage daughters were able to put it together with no help which identifies the job as extremely easy, lol. I would think doing it by myself would be a 5-10min, but it is a very awkward structure to handle (because of it's size and lightness).

I'll update upon testing in the wild. I can see how wind could be a problem with this setup, but otherwise - I was positively surprised overall. It reaches over almost the entire bow, and you can still tow from the tower - amazing. I would think that possibly adding zippers all around - you could turn it into a light tent enclosure. It can be installed the long side fore or back - if you want the swim deck covered.

The package included 4 extendable poles, and overall quality is pretty good. There is only one narrow sleeve/bag for storage - and it will hold the poles but it is impossible to fit both poles and the canopy. Storage is not an issue - this easily fits in a ski locker or the rear, or strbd front storage compartments.

EDIT: My factory bimini is off for the winter, when reinstalled the Sunshade will fit over it, of course.
Also - pictures don't do this thing any justice, it is very tricky to photograph as the perspective makes it look different, especially with a wide angle lens of my phone camera, lol.

--
Thanks for the review on this one. Very promising and it sounds like the investment in this is going to pay off in the end. I think for the price it was offered at the time you can't beat it. Most places have it listed close to $400. I'm impressed and really liking the idea in how you can either cover the swim platform or most of the bow area.

I know we will probably utilize this slightly different but for me using only while anchored is going to be very nice experience. I'm stoked about using it. I probably will not use it until Memorial day weekend I believe. Unless it gets really hot real quick down here. But either way, I'm excited.

I also wonder if this could be stowed on wake board racks?

I'd rather have a bimini extension made for that price. I can't see putting the effort in to setup and breakdown before every drive.

I'd rather have a bimini extension made for that price. I can't see putting the effort in to setup and breakdown before every drive.
Haha I understand. @swatski is kinda wild and willing to do that. Well, he makes his daughters do it, quite genius really. For me I will only use it on hot days we are anchored up. Some of my friends have beach tents we use so this could be really nice as we wouldn't have to venture too far away from the boat. With the deep south weather I promise this will be very beneficial in the end for some folks. The factory bimini on the ARs are just not big enough. Decent but not great.

I think with time, setting it up will become a breeze. I had difficult time setting up the bimini the first few times, now I can do it with my eyes closed. I don't see much difference in this with a 2nd hand helping out.

So Looks like there are 2 left at that discount price. After Swat review, I wonder how long it will take for the other 2 to sell. Lol

20170812_145618.jpg
I set this up and tie it to the Viking. We get big winds on a regular basis. 10mph is very common, 20 gusts every 2 trips. That thing wouldn't last a minute for me.

Keep us posted! I have looked for a viable bimini extension in the AR for a long time, the Sunshade looks promising. The closest to it would be @MrMoose's contraption, very nice, but not quite big enough for us, and does not cover the bow, the factory AR bimini is really short.

Also, the factory bimini setup and "breakdown" in the new boats is pretty awkward as well, so the Sunshade is just another minor annoyance, come to think of it.

Someone just asked me about the price of a LS/E tower with the large bimini - for a potential swap. I have considered it strongly, but that is a VERY expensive proposition, the job was priced at over 10k total (!) when I looked last year (int he aftermath of my AR tower fiasco).
Parts alone come close to 9k... (kind of absurd, isn't it?)
upload_2018-4-21_10-18-24.png

--

Last edited:
View attachment 72602
I set this up and tie it to the Viking. We get big winds on a regular basis. 10mph is very common, 20 gusts every 2 trips. That thing wouldn't last a minute for me.
The Sunshade is rated up to 20mph. No idea how it performs in real life.
I would think that it will be okay, once installed and tied down. Setting it up in gusty conditions would be a pain no doubt, require a helper or two.

--

Got me one. I think there’s 1 left. Thanks for posting.

Love this forum it saves me money!..... wait or does it cost me money! Just purchased one,should only be one left.

Hehe sounds like the good deal is all gone. Hope all enjoy it that bought one.

Back