• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha WakeBooster package 2020 official video: are they surfing the coaster without the fins?

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the newly released video it looks like they are riding the coaster without the exterior fins. At about 1:04 minutes in the video you can see water coming through the screw holes. Wouldn't happen If the screws and fins were in place. Any idea why they would remove those fins?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the newly released video it looks like they are riding the coaster without the exterior fins. At about 1:04 minutes in the video you can see water coming through the screw holes. Wouldn't happen If the screws and fins were in place. Any idea why they would remove those fins?

View attachment 103549
Looks like they are riding with just the rear fin. Both the Coaster and Butter Bar have fins that screw in from the top vs the other models which have the FCSII tool-less fins. With the fins removed you will get a bit of water jetting up thru. I rode the same configuration a couple of weeks ago.
It has[ a skim style board heritage can be ridden with multiple fin configurations or fin-less. I still need to give the 2 forward and no fun rides a shot.

Newmaniak

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like they are riding with just the rear fin. Both the Coaster and Butter Bar have fins that screw in from the top vs the other models which have the FCSII tool-less fins. With the fins removed you will get a bit of water jetting up thru. I rode the same configuration a couple of weeks ago.
It has[ a skim style board heritage can be ridden with multiple fin configurations or fin-less. I still need to give the 2 forward and no fun rides a shot.
I just put black gorilla tape over the fin slots. Quick fix that works great

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good info on the Coasters here.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just put black gorilla tape over the fin slots. Quick fix that works great
If it bothers you that's a solution. I didn't even notice it until I was a couple of runs in.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any idea why they would remove those fins?
Because I think the young lanky guy that rides is Cole, a world champion (?), and when he does his 720s he likes his board finless, lol.

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Damsroy fins are added or removed on boards to change the dynamics of the ride to either be loose or more controlled. In this case, removing the front two fins will loosen up the majority of ther board giving it a more skim style feel. There's some traction from the remaining fin but it's much easier to break loose for spins, drifts and "shuvs". As your riding progresses, the looser ride is a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you all for the inputs. Not doing a lot of tricks yet but will try to remove the two outside fins next time just for fun and see the impact on how the board handles.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you all for the inputs. Not doing a lot of tricks yet but will try to remove the two outside fins next time just for fun and see the impact on how the board handles.
Removing the rear and leaving the 2 outside will give it the ability to twist and pivot from the center of the board more. That configuration is very fun on a boards like the Gnarwhal and Cobra Cat.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Those bags are not full captain.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Damsroy fins are added or ranked on boards to change the dynamics of the ride to either be looser or more controlled. In this case, removing the front two fins will loosen up the majority of ther board giving it a more skim style feel. There's some traction from the remaining fin but it's much easier to break loose for spins, drifts and "shuvs". As your riding progress, the looser ride is a lot of fun.
Fins also add drive and power so I wouldn't think of them as just for how loose a board may feel. There are a couple of different key areas on a fin that each play a role in how it will perform and the fins' characteristic. If you have some time to kill on the throne this is a good video by Doomswell that's all about wake surf fins. You'll need to skip ahead a few mins until they get to talking about fins but it's a very informative video.