• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

YDS 2pro - 2013 later YDS reader available?

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Have check engine light again, hoping it's not my O2 sensors again.

Anyway - I found this YDS kit for our late model boats. Apparently, after 2012, the interface changed. Do I really need to spend $300 to read my engine code? I tried going into the diagnostic screen on the tach by holding the M button then scrolling through the menu, but it is saying Normal under engine codes and does not give a meaningful fault code.

YDS 2PRO -
Yamaha Waverunner outboard diagnostics

Anyone have any ideas? I'm in the Mid-Atlantic region in Baltimore if anyone wants to do me a solid. I just cant take it back to the dealer right now.

Engine runs fine, just throws a warning every 5 mins.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wasnt aware there was a yds for newer models.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Administrative can you maybe move this or link me to the answer? I was unable to find my answer in a search. Maybe move to general or somewhere else?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks let me know.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am curious as well. I do side work on a lot of Yamaha outboards, boats, and skis. This would be great to have if it works on new stuff

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks super promising! I've been very thankful for cheap YDS available for my 2008. It will be very positive to have this for newer boats too!

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Unfortunately I blew up a rear bearing on my port side impeller this afternoon, so I'm down an engine, and ordering parts. It will be a couple of weeks now before I can test the YDS. Sorry guys, but I will get to it eventually for sure.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Damn! How the he’ll did you do that? Sorry dude!

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah not fun. Parts begin arriving today though and she'll be better than before by the end of the weekend.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The tool just arrived today. Hopefully can get to scanning over the weekend. Now to figure out how to plug it in...

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let us know how it works, and any details about what info that it collects.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Same plan for me. Boat is back up and running as of last weekend, so I was planning to play with the YDS tomorrow.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So I finally got over to the marina and found the diagnostic ports buried deep in the crazy wire area behind the helm.

Plugged everything in and it says it can’t see the ECU. I tried bumping the starter and even running the engine. The system would just keep cycling saying it sees the boat and then not and then again. But anytime I catch it for the few seconds it can see the boat and select Read Data, it gives the ECU not found error. It’s a little different from the old scanner stuff as there are no comm ports to mess with and it always is able to recognize the device when I plug it in the USB port.

I sent a message to the seller on eBay and he wants screenshots of the error. Not sure what that is going to do but i will oblige.

Basically a waste of money so far....

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did you unplug the tachs?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is from the service manual. It applies to the Yamaha factory YDIS 2.1 system, so I assume it applies to this aftermarket connection as well.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I did not. Thanks, I’ll give this a shot.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Scottie thanks for the tip. That did the trick. The tool worked great and I was able to read all the codes and look at the engine monitor. The fault code that was last triggered was code 206. Which of course is unlisted in the Service Manual I just purchased from the Yamaha pubs site. I also found a spreadsheet that someone posted Trouble Code Link and it is not listed there either.

Also, looking at the O2 sensor readings on the diagnostic - The good engine has a reading of ~.9 for both O2-1 and O2-2. But the trouble engine has a reading of ~2.3 for O2-1 and .3 for O2-2. Not sure if that is due the engine not being warmed up or what the reading should be at normal operating temp. I dont have a chance to run it on the hose right now.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
A follow up for this.... I couldn’t locate the definition of trouble code 206 so I just cleared the codes and ran the boat for an hour. Nothing came back. Fingers crossed that it is fixed.

Overall the tool does what it says it will do. Just make sure you disconnect the tachs before hooking it up. (Thanks Scottie)