• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

YES - Yamaha Warranty Question

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I am looking at buying a 2016 Yamaha Limited SE with 27 hrs and is in a great shape. Unfortunately, the factory warranty has expired a few months ago. Will I be able to purchase an extended warranty from Yamaha?

Regards,

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NO.....the extended warrantees are only available during the initial factory warranty period....sorry!:arghh:

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Ughhh. That's a shame!

Thanks for the info though. I couldn't find an answer anywhere

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw the boat you are talking about even with no warranty that is a pretty good deal at that price. If my 2011 sx240 would have sold I would probably be buying that.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You are welcome......I should qualify that...I think if you buy a used Yamaha from a dealer you may be able to purchase an extended warranty, but only if the boat is bought from a Yamaha Dealer. If so check with the dealer.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
You are welcome......I should qualify that...I think if you buy a used Yamaha from a dealer you may be able to purchase an extended warranty, but only if the boat is bought from a Yamaha Dealer. If so check with the dealer.
It's from a private seller. I wonder if I get the boat inspected by the dealer would they agree to sell me one?
I'm gun shy about buying a boat without warranty. My seadoo challenger 230 wake's supercharger and engine blew up not long after I bought it. Cost me $10k to replace and several weeks in the shop

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wow, the warranty is out and only 27 hours.....thats amazing!

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Well, the standard factory warranty is only 1 year. I believe that most negotiate a longer period. But that's not the case here

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, the standard factory warranty is only 1 year. I believe that most negotiate a longer period. But that's not the case here
I would check with your local dealer and find out for sure. Or maybe the dealer that sold the boat originally. Worth a phone call at least.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I agree and will do

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Out of curiosity, do you mind saying what you paid for it?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a 2016 Limeted S Eserries for $50,000

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
[QUOTE="Khalid, post: 214857, member: 6437"My seadoo challenger 230 wake's supercharger and engine blew up not long after I bought it. Cost me $10k to replace and several weeks in the shop[/QUOTE]

Not sure an extended warranty would have helped here. The Sea Doo supercharger is very maintenance heavy (2 years or 100 hours). Most people don't follow this service interval and have issues. The issue you had was probably more related to being out of the service interval than anything else. I see yours was a 2008 model. The engines in the boats ran a year behind, so your motor would have come with the doomed ceramic washers that were notorious for coming apart and then getting ingested into the motor, destroying it. This should have been something that was looked into prior to purchasing the boat. It's pretty well known in the Sea Doo community for the earlier supercharged 1.5L motor. The other issue was the Na filled valves, but that's a completely different issue with the earlier Sea Doos as well.

I'm not too familiar with any of the major nuances of the Yamahas, but I have not heard or read anything that should have you worried like the Sea Doo.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Yup. I didn't realize all these issues till it was too late. I now have 2 brand new engines and super chargers (the other engine and supercharger were replaced the year before by the previous owner).

I will put it to sale. It's a really nice boat for the price and hopefully the next owner will have a much better luck with it now it's got new engines