• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yet another sound reduction attempt

Yellowbird911

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First time out a few weeks ago with our new to us 07 SX210 I didn't know what to expect with the threads I had read about noise. The factory sound mat had degraded so I was expecting a little more noise. When I first went to full throttle I felt like I had made a huge mistake selling our trusty Chaparral 1830SS with a 4.3 MC I/O. The sound especially with the degraded factory mat was ungodly awful. Couldn't hear the radio without blasting it, forget talking at cruise without yelling. Absolutely unacceptable but....thanks to all the previous threads on sound deadening and a fair amount of work last weekend on the boat was way more tolerable. Now the radio can be heard, conversion at cruise is possible. Before you could not hear water noise at all just the screaming engines and now water noise from hull spray is about the same volume while at cruise which is around 30mph and 6500rpm. Didn't really go step by step to see what each improvement made, more of a shotgun approach as I did not want to take it out again unless there was a large improvement.

What I have done so far:
1. Added a soft foam seal to the engine hatch, quite possibly the easiest and cheapest with the biggest reward.
2. Removed old factory seat back mat and replaced with 2 layers of 10mm sound mat with the aluminum foil face. Also added 6 acustic squares to back of engine cover.
3. Filled the gas tank hold with foam from old camper cushions.
4. Covered any surface in the muffler box that had a tinny sound when knocked on with a butyl mat and then a layer of 10mm sound mat with foil face. Then added a few acustic squares.
5. Covered inside fiberglass of seat areas that face the inward with butyl mat and 10mm sound mat.
6. Added foam floor covering from SBT.

Things I still plan to do.
1. Fill aft under seat storage areas with large foam blocks when I figure out where to source them. The kind used at kid parks.
2. Feel like that though the sound mat will keep noise from coming though a panel the aluminium foil side does nothing to attenuate the sound waves in the engine bay. Once I source the right foam egg crate type material I plan to cover all walls in the engine bay with it. I added acustic squares but really think all walls should be covered.
3. Feel like a lot of sound comes from the swim deck as mentioned in other threads. The aft end of the swim deck is a large cavity and when you rap your knuckles on the aft top deck it resonates all through the muffler box. Other than the hold down loops on the transom there is nothing else in there. Why not fill that area with expandable foam? If god forbid you had to get to the hold down bolts you could always carve out the foam. Any options?

At this point I don't really sense sound coming from the forward hull but will not rule it out either. Even at the current level the boat is much more enjoyable, most importantly wife and kids don't notice a noise issue anymore.

Attachments

Yellowbird911

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The square acustic foam I got from amazon. Same ones used in sound rooms.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What about Owens Corning rockwool? I think it is fire proof and water resistant.

Yellowbird911

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Many boats use the foam egg crate stuff for sound deadening. That is the stuff I want to line the engine bay with. The rear storage holds I plan to use blocks of foam.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Expandable foam will eventually absorb water and weight so you have to be careful where you put it.

Does that exhaust thing not get hot?

Yellowbird911

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The exhaust apparently stays pretty cool. Think I read max temp is around 140ish degrees. Water pumped out through exhaust. Didn't realize expandable foam absorbs water. Thought some factory boats had cavities filled with expandable foam.

Yellowbird911

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Apparently 2 part expandable foam doesn't absorb water.

2-part expanding foam is perfect for flotation, soundproofing, and thermal insulation. Closed-cell polyurethane foam will not absorb water, oil, or gas. Simple 1:1 mix ratio, easy to pour in place, and sets up quickly in just a few minutes. Hardens into shape with minimal shrinkage.
1596495479457.png
Amazon.com › TotalBoat-Urethane-...
TotalBoat Liquid Urethane Foam

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

2-part expanding foam is perfect for flotation, soundproofing, and thermal insulation. Closed-cell polyurethane foam will not absorb water, oil, or gas. Simple 1:1 mix ratio, easy to pour in place, and sets up quickly in just a few minutes. Hardens into shape with minimal shrinkage.
View attachment 128347
Extremely flammable!

Yellowbird911

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is a marine grade and coast guard approved foam. Having a fire in the muffle box seem highly unlikely. Would not use in engine bay though the to boat fires I've seen were because a fuel line ruptured and sprayed engine down with fuel. At that point it doesn't matter what material is in the engine bay including the factory sound insulation.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

View attachment 128347
I think they all absorb water over time. Bigger issue under the water line and in bilge. It is probably fine for where you’re talking about.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The exhaust apparently stays pretty cool. Think I read max temp is around 140ish degrees. Water pumped out through exhaust. Didn't realize expandable foam absorbs water. Thought some factory boats had cavities filled with expandable foam.
You need a closed cell foam, much like SAFE boats us uses. Our riverine patrol boats had it everywhere.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good read

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't forget around the fuel tank access panel and the ski locker doors. That's all I have done so far and the resonating sound was lessened greatly!BACE5A97-9B9B-40A3-93FE-2E136BDEE2AA.jpeg28908FD4-BC74-4939-BA59-B5B43BFF0423.jpeg

Yellowbird911

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have done the tank cover but not the hold hatches. Will do that before going out again. Thanks

okula225

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First time out a few weeks ago with our new to us 07 SX210 I didn't know what to expect with the threads I had read about noise. The factory sound mat had degraded so I was expecting a little more noise. When I first went to full throttle I felt like I had made a huge mistake selling our trusty Chaparral 1830SS with a 4.3 MC I/O. The sound especially with the degraded factory mat was ungodly awful. Couldn't hear the radio without blasting it, forget talking at cruise without yelling. Absolutely unacceptable but....thanks to all the previous threads on sound deadening and a fair amount of work last weekend on the boat was way more tolerable. Now the radio can be heard, conversion at cruise is possible. Before you could not hear water noise at all just the screaming engines and now water noise from hull spray is about the same volume while at cruise which is around 30mph and 6500rpm. Didn't really go step by step to see what each improvement made, more of a shotgun approach as I did not want to take it out again unless there was a large improvement.

What I have done so far:
1. Added a soft foam seal to the engine hatch, quite possibly the easiest and cheapest with the biggest reward.
2. Removed old factory seat back mat and replaced with 2 layers of 10mm sound mat with the aluminum foil face. Also added 6 acustic squares to back of engine cover.
3. Filled the gas tank hold with foam from old camper cushions.
4. Covered any surface in the muffler box that had a tinny sound when knocked on with a butyl mat and then a layer of 10mm sound mat with foil face. Then added a few acustic squares.
5. Covered inside fiberglass of seat areas that face the inward with butyl mat and 10mm sound mat.
6. Added foam floor covering from SBT.

Things I still plan to do.
1. Fill aft under seat storage areas with large foam blocks when I figure out where to source them. The kind used at kid parks.
2. Feel like that though the sound mat will keep noise from coming though a panel the aluminium foil side does nothing to attenuate the sound waves in the engine bay. Once I source the right foam egg crate type material I plan to cover all walls in the engine bay with it. I added acustic squares but really think all walls should be covered.
3. Feel like a lot of sound comes from the swim deck as mentioned in other threads. The aft end of the swim deck is a large cavity and when you rap your knuckles on the aft top deck it resonates all through the muffler box. Other than the hold down loops on the transom there is nothing else in there. Why not fill that area with expandable foam? If god forbid you had to get to the hold down bolts you could always carve out the foam. Any options?

At this point I don't really sense sound coming from the forward hull but will not rule it out either. Even at the current level the boat is much more enjoyable, most importantly wife and kids don't notice a noise issue anymore.
How many sq ft did your engine hatch use?

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How many sq ft did your engine hatch use?
For the engine hatch, if you go with the 25sq ft kit you will have more than enough. If you buy a smaller kit (12-15sq ft), you would be cutting it close, and potentially not have enough to finish the job.

TSmiley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Don't forget around the fuel tank access panel and the ski locker doors. That's all I have done so far and the resonating sound was lessened greatly!View attachment 128415View attachment 128416
What thickness kilmat is this? I just got some that I ordered and noticed it’s rather thin (80 Mil). Just want to be sure it’ll be thick enough to do the job. I plan on doing the ski locker and fuel tank hatch just like you did.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used 80 mil as it was very cost effective, I'm cheap. But I have come to find that yes, it did a great job of sound reduction. I could have gone more, but it works well, and has been in place for three seasons.