• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 SX190 - New to us!

scguy13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wanted to post a quick note that my wife and I just took ownership of a new to us 2013 SX190! Did a lot of reading on here in the last few weeks so I felt fairly well informed about the purchase.

I have a strong feeling this boat was traded in by a member here, but I don’t want to be weird about it haha. But if I’m right…. Congrats on your new upgrade and thanks for trading this SX190 in right when we were looking for a great used boat! We are located near Lake Wylie, if that helps….

I have limited boating experience. I had a Bass Tracker many years ago when I was doing some fishing, but that’s it. We knew we wanted a Yamaha just because we liked the looks and layouts better than other brands, and the 1.8 seems pretty stout and trouble free. Our plan is to enjoy this one for a few years then buckle down and look for something new/newer and maybe a little bigger. Both my wife and I have dealt with some rough things in life, and we’ve been talking about getting a boat for a few years now to help relax. My 2024 has started off terribly with some health scares (I’m all good now!) and that made us decide that we aren’t going to wait any longer. We’ve only been on it for the test ride but hope to carve out some time in the next week or two for the first outing!

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Best advice for a 2013 is change the oil and plugs (unless dealer or owner said it was done) and most bad days with new/used boats start with a bad battery!!!!!! throw in oil, plugs. new AGM batt and that should get you a little closer to a relaxed day.

scguy13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah I’ll tackle the oil and plugs myself, I’m no mechanic but I do those in my own vehicles and have for years. And I’ve watched plenty of videos about that on these boats so I’m sure I’ll be fine.

This boat has dual batteries with a Perko switch. I got a jump pack and will check the batteries at some point. Unfortunately we’re having to store the boat elsewhere with no access to power so I’m hoping we don’t have any issues due to that. I was thinking of bringing both batteries in the garage during wintertime for whatever help that’s worth.

I’m all ears for any additional tips and tricks!

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yamaha seem to be vary sensitive to batter/power issues they seem to throw CL coeds and general have running problems on weak battery's. It would be best if you could charge battery's between use...........the stators on board have a hard time keeping battery's up to full if you don't have vary long run times or have lots of electronics and big boom stereos that draw lots of power.

Other checks a good o ring on boat drain plug and check for leaks around clean out plugs it can flood boat quickly you will need to check this on the water after you throttle up a little shut down and see if you are flooding the back compartment above the clean out plugs(little water on top plugs no big deal) ........and do a check for leaks around the rear through hull fittings.....some have broken(plastic part) this drain is inside of boat and dumps to a through hull fitting down close to the jets. Some have had serious leaks from this through hull fitting.. DO A bilge pump check at home with hose last thing you need is a bilge pump not working when you have a lake leak. LAST as you are engine running on the trailer at the ramp MAKE SURE THE pissers are producing a good flow don't want and over heat on the first outing.

scguy13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks again.

I’m thinking of getting a solar charger to keep on it while it’s in storage. It’s parked in a secluded area away from their office so maybe it won’t be a problem. I’d rather not ask and risk being told no :D

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Solar charger sounds like a solution. I did see solar with battery trickle/Maintainer

scguy13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took the boat out for the first time today, of course we had a blast. I did a ton of reading about the issues with low speed steering… but oh boy, I was not prepared for JUST how terrible it is. I am shocked that Yamaha didn’t see an issue with that when they originally launched these boats.

I’m not a newbie. We’ve owned a boat with an outboard before. But…yikes. Fortunately the ramps were slow today and I wasn’t pressured to load quickly. I managed to get it done on my second approach but it was certainly tense. I definitely felt like a newbie, so I’m glad I didn’t have an audience.

Not looking for suggestions or arguments about which steering product to buy, I’ve already made up my mind. Just wanted to express my shock at the difficulty. Otherwise, the trip was a blast. We just ripped up and down the lake, hit about 40mph with just my wife and I on it. Future outings will include how to best use the anchor so we can pull off the main lake and stay parked and go for a dip or something. Ordered new tires and rims today, steering upgrades are soon, leaf springs need replaced and that looks simple enough. I suspect the hubs and bearings need replacing and I’ve never messed with those before so that’ll be fun. I’m fairly mechanically inclined and decently patient. Once all my parts for the above items have arrived, I’ll bring the boat back to the house (the HOA can get over it) and get to work. Will do a thorough wash and wax as well. Future plans include replacing the stock radio with something new. Just the radio, the speakers are fine for now. And maybe installing those trailer mounted transom straps, whatever they’re called. The previous owner left the Garmin echo 54dv, which we really appreciate! Otherwise, I think we’re all set!

As a side note… the mooring cover is pretty slick. I annoyed my wife with my excitement at the ability to tighten it with the ratchets. Maybe this is standard in the industry, I don’t know. Our last boat was garage kept and never had a cover. It’s definitely the original cover (or I’d be surprised if it wasn’t) and we plan to purchase a new one next year. It’s 95% intact and the 5% that isn’t is on the side so water can’t get in that way anyways.

Anyways, that’s all for now!

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats on the SX190...great little/big boat. Low speed is challenging but makes a better skipper, now you'll always be watching wind & tide.

jeffrt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The steering definitely takes some getting used to, even with fins. Best advice I can offer is to make subtle adjustments at low speeds or you’ll be zig zagging back and forth, and don’t wait too long to make the adjustments or again you’ll be zig zagging. I‘ve got it down now but my wife won’t drive it at low speeds at all. Enjoy the new boat!

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should try using you idle speed button.........I keep my at the second speed around 2000rmp but as I approach the trailer or fuel dock 50 yards out I start going in and out of neutral......Foward 1/4 second Neutral 3 sec.......in out in out.........the forward speed at 2000rpm is around 4.2 mph going by going in and out she slows down to around 1.5 or under....slow approach......just before fuel dock the 2000rmp in reverse give enough reverse to stop her before contact. The foward 1/4 second burst keep your steering control the longer neutral time slows you speed.

Now on my boat it has lateral thrusters on the back jets so if I turn into the dock just before front makes contact and put her in reverse the lateral thruster pushes the stern(back) gently sideways into the dock(make me look better than I am) for a nice walk her sideways parking job. Now with Lateral thrusters (sideways) and the steering thruster (I call the rudders) the boat is a pleasure to dock and back into docks.

After just a couple of hours practice and all the help from JB members helping out on the technique of in,out of neutral to slow approach this became much easer to maneuver than the B3 or alpha Merc drives I came from.

Good luck

scguy13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s actually how I ended up loading it. I remembered after the failed first attempt that using no wake mode still allowed me some directional control as opposed to just trying to power up/down and crossing my fingers. Guess we’ll have to take the boat out more, ya know, so I can “practice” haha