• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR210 or Bayliner 2250

Capz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,

I am new to boating and this will be my first buy. I am very confused between a sterndrive 2020 Bayliner 2250 and Yamaha AR 210. I’ve heard not too many good thing about the bayliner and I am leaning towards the AR 210 jet.

not sure what to decide since I can’t seem to make up my mind

thoughts/comments.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I came from a mercruiser stern drive boat before I purchased my AR192. The reason I went to a Yamaha Jet is for 2 reasons.

One being the transom area. I love that section of the boat and it just makes it so much more enjoyable.

The second reason I went Jet is because of the lack of constant maintenance that comes with a outdrive. I was constantly making sure the steering was greased, the trim ram seals were tight, making sure that the impeller was changed out every season. And on top of that, the winterization of a Yamaha boat is as easy as starting it up and getting the water out of the exhaust. The 10 years I spent maintaining my outdrive was very informative, but I wanted simplicity, and that's what I got.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked at the Bayliner before I looked at the Yamaha. What sold me was that there weren't props on the engines so it was safer for the kids and all the watersports. Then I started reading more about the simple maintenance and found this forum which had a wealth of information. Plus with two engines vs. one, I would at least have a way to get back in if there was an issue. I bought the AR210, we are happy with it for how we use it.

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yamaha all the way

Mdoiron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You're on a jet boat forum asking for an opinion on what is better between a jet boat and a stern drive. The answers you'll read will be biased towards the Yamaha because of the audience you're talking to. There is alot of information missing for anyone to give you a proper answer; what type of boating you'll be doing and in what type of water. Although I love my Yamaha, there are circumstances where a jet boat is not the best option. Like some have stated, Yamaha will be easier maintenance and safer if you have kids and plan to do watersports. I'd also argue that the Yamaha will hold its value more but with Covid and the market, who knows.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Going to find a LOT of biased answers here :D

I went jet over outdrive for the main reason of simplicity of driveline. Just so little to go wrong on this boat (granted I have what is arguably the most simplistic boat Yamaha makes). No connext, no electric steering, Very few electronics. Just VERY VERY little to go wrong with this boat. The driveline is an engine, coupler, shaft, two bearings, and two cables. Raw water cooling is handled by the jet pump, No alternator, and a water cooled voltage regulator.

IMO, the safety aspect is a misnomer, and lures people into a false sense of security. If you're behind a boat you should be paying attention. Period. Instill that ethos in everyone that gets on your boat and you'll be plenty safe, prop or no prop. No prop boats reduce the chance of someone NOT paying attention getting hurt, but only just slightly. I've bloodied the same number of feet on my jet as I did on my prop. Kicked the prop ONE time. I've kicked the articulating keel ONE time as well. Both drew blood.

If you're in/near shallow water a lot, the lack of a lower unit is nice. We were in the Gulf last month and it was nice to just scoot across 2ft deep water without worrying about catching the prop on something. Others that were with my in propped boats had to stay to the channel more. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

Beaching is easier with the Jet. We back into the beach, and can get closer to the shore, with a lower swim platform than we could with our old I/O. To get in close we had to trim all the way up into "trailer mode" and then pull the boat back to shore by hand, then there was a giant prop sticking out of the water to keep an eye on. Now I just toss the anchor out, back in until the keel ALMOST touches, hop off in knee deep or less water and tie off. SUPER simple and it makes life easy to get on/off the boat that way.

There are things that jets are NOT good at though. They don't maintain speed worth a damn unless you have some electronic aids. Our old I/O would hold 2,500-2,700 rpm at 18mph no matter how hard I pulled on it with the board. I can drop the jets speed from 20 to 16 with a good hard pull on the board. You'll want some form of throttle and speed controller if you want to do serious watersports.....Speaking of watersports. Jet boats are relatively light for their length. You need lots of ballast to make a good wake, and if you don't want a wake (say for slalom skiing), then the center of the wake is washed out from the jets. If you're doing a TON of watersports, and that's your focus, a dedicated boat for that is a better option.

Hands down the WORST (and maybe the best) part of owning a modern Jet boat is addressing all of the "I looked at those, but thought they were just big waverunners" or "I've heard those don't handle big waves" or "Aren't those impossible to drive around docks?"........The constant rhetoric of poor public image gets old. It can often be entertaining if you have an open minded crowd, but more often than not you just have to grin and bear the other persons misconceptions.

SO......to answer the question.....Buy a jetboat, they're way more gooder!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMO, the safety aspect is a misnomer, and lures people into a false sense of security. If you're behind a boat you should be paying attention. Period. Instill that ethos in everyone that gets on your boat and you'll be plenty safe, prop or no prop. No prop boats reduce the chance of someone NOT paying attention getting hurt, but only just slightly. I've bloodied the same number of feet on my jet as I did on my prop. Kicked the prop ONE time. I've kicked the articulating keel ONE time as well. Both drew blood.
Yeah, but there is always stupid somewhere, regardless of what you think it should be, there is a tendency of things happening. Hence, I only try to take a select group of kids whom follow the rules. The ones that "Know More" than I, don't get to come out and fun anymore.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My only complaint about a jet boat is the noise. I've owned three boats a 1998 Searay180, 2017 Ar190 and a 2020 212S. The Searay whispered across the lake compared to the Yamaha. But when my wife and I decided to upgrade our 190 we stuck with Yamaha. Layout, ease of maintenance and the big one price. I had my eyes locked in on a Cobalt cs23 but it was pushing $30,000 more. Wife said Hell No!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My only complaint about a jet boat is the noise. I've owned three boats a 1998 Searay180, 2017 Ar190 and a 2020 212S. The Searay whispered across the lake compared to the Yamaha. But when my wife and I decided to upgrade our 190 we stuck with Yamaha. Layout, ease of maintenance and the big one price. I had my eyes locked in on a Cobalt cs23 but it was pushing $30,000 more. Wife said Hell No!

Agreed. The noise is the only thing I really wish was a bit lower, but we are used to it.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Gotta say the noise is the only real draw back, Your not having a ton of conversations when doing 30mph. The layout, reliability and ease of service blows that away. My boat has been 99% trouble free and I do the winterizing/oil changes my self in about an hour.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A better answer to your question, which one can you find available to purchase at a sane price? More than likely, the Bayliner. Go pick one up, you will figure out what you like about it, or don't like about it. The market is good enough, that you will be able to sell it easily.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think this decision really does come down to what you’re going to be doing with the boat, like most have said. If you want ease of maintenance and safety then a jet boat is for you. More water sports than general leisure, then a wake boat or I/O will be better. I came from an I/O and idk how many times I’ve told my wife now that buying the AR230 was the best decision we have ever made. The noise is louder, but I love when the engines sync up and the fact that I can get on plane quickly too. It’s not god awful loud like you can’t take it though. I haven’t done any soundproofing yet either. For what we use our boat for it was a perfect fit. We use it more for relaxation and then some water sports on the side. When we coved up last weekend with the MIL’s tritoon everyone ventured to the back of our boat. It’s just too damn inviting with the way Yamaha designed those transom areas.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That kind of the problem though. It appears OP is making his first boat purchase and may not know what they like to do with it as of yet.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Capz If you are boating in water that is weedy or lots of debris than I would suggest you not consider a jetboat.

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Yamaha maintenance will be easier and less of it. I would speculate the any Yamaha model will hold its value better than any Bayliner model. The Yamahas look way cooler than any Bayliner. Maybe get some of Jeff’s fins for the Yamaha which will shorten the learning curve operating the boat, at least it did for me. Good luck.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Honestly, the majority of folks that say the cost of maintenance is so great, are usually the folks that don’t do their own maintenance. As the cost to do it yourself is probably the same.

An oil change on one I/O compared to two Jet is probably less for the I/O if not almost the same. As there is one lest filter and probably 1 less quart of oil. And doing it is not that hard. The I/O does need it’s lower unit gear lube changes, which is cake work.

Winterization is not much more than being sure the cooling system is properly winterized. Which ironically, half the yamaha owners flush their cooling system with antifreeze as if they owned an I/O. HA!

Silly rabbits.

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly, the majority of folks that say the cost of maintenance is so great, are usually the folks that don’t do their own maintenance. As the cost to do it yourself is probably the same.

An oil change on one I/O compared to two Jet is probably less for the I/O if not almost the same. As there is one lest filter and probably 1 less quart of oil. And doing it is not that hard. The I/O does need it’s lower unit gear lube changes, which is cake work.

Winterization is not much more than being sure the cooling system is properly winterized. Which ironically, half the yamaha owners flush their cooling system with antifreeze as if they owned an I/O. HA!

Silly rabbits.
Ok an oil change is an oil change. Now tell us about the bellows, gimbal bearing, transom seal, shift cable, and all the moving parts inside the stern drive, the lower unit, then there’s prop and how you can rip all that off in a grounding. There’s just so much more that can go wrong with an I/O. I would guess the the Volvo Penta V6 would cost more to repair than the Yamaha engine too. For all those reasons that’s why I bought a new Yamaha over a new Regal bowrider last year. Just my 2 cents.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Friends don’t let friends buy bayliners.

Last edited:

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Noise, lol. I grew up around outboards. Dad preferred 150 Mercs. My Yamaha is NOT loud.

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a different take. I went from an 1989 18' stern drive to the SX210 for the amenities. We wanted a bigger boat. I was looking at the Bayliner VR6 and the 2250, we also looked at StarCraft and Tahoe boats. The Bayliner was budget-friendly...until I started adding options. Stereo with four speakers? Upcharge. Snap-in flooring? Upcharge. Table and mount(s)? Upcharge. Bow filler cushions? Upcharge. Trailer? Bimini top? You guessed it, upcharge. The swim deck is awesome on these boats, but it's not as unique as Yamaha enthusiasts claim any more. But, everything I mentioned above is standard on the Yamaha. By the time I added the options above, even the most basic Bayliner topped out higher than the Yamaha. Setting aside the shallow draft of the Yamaha (so it can go in two feet of water...I wouldn't do that intentionally anyway), the utility and layout of the two boats is relatively similar. After a few months of ownership, I can say I love my SX210, and it has been a fantastic upgrade from our 1989 ThunderCraft.