• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8L SVHO: First DIY Spark plug & Oil Change Experience & Tips

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great writeup.

I didn't change the plugs at the start of this season because I know the previous owner changed them before last season and didn't run the boat all that much. (I did change the oil.)

Maybe I'll change them halfway through the season, but do you think I can get away with waiting until next season?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Question- how do you reset maintenance alarm?
Go into your settings, there's a maintenance button that will allow you to reset your hours since last oil change.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great writeup.

I didn't change the plugs at the start of this season because I know the previous owner changed them before last season and didn't run the boat all that much. (I did change the oil.)

Maybe I'll change them halfway through the season, but do you think I can get away with waiting until next season?
You can get away with multiple seasons. Read your manual and go by hours, not years. As these plugs should be inspected, possibly wire brushed and cleaned, but replacement is not necessary.

And for anyone that replies, "it gives them piece of mind" loves to waste money and must have the impression that if a spark plug goes, it's catastrophic failure, which it is not. You may or may not hear a miss, or a drop in RPM's. Then gap a new set and swap them.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You can get away with multiple season. Read your manual and go by hours, not years. As these plugs should be inspected, possibly wire brushed and cleaned, but replacement is not necessary.

And for anyone that replies, "it gives them piece of mind" loves to waste money and must have the impression that if a spark plug goes, it's catastrophic failure, which it is not. You may or may not hear a miss, or a drop in RPM's. Then gap a new set and swap them.
Sure but at $30 and 10 minutes… why not? It’s much quicker to change them than to clean them.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sure but at $30 and 10 minutes… why not? It’s much quicker to change them than to clean them.
Why would you not go to the gas station and dump 9 gallons of gas on the ground? It only takes 10 minutes. Both activities gain you nothing except take $30 out of your pocket.

I'm not being cheap about this, I have $30. But why do it if the boat is running exactly the same. I'll give you one better, I don't even inspect my plugs unless I hear a miss or see a drop in RPMs. Now I've saved the 10 minutes as well

These are not two stroke waverunner engines. My pair of GP1300r's get new plugs once a season. My old Yamaha SRX700 sled used to eat at least a set of plugs per season. My 242ls saw new plugs after 4 seasons without a loss of MPH or RPM's. My Yamaha Apex snowmobile didn't see new plugs till it hit over 12,500 miles! Most folks don't run a sled for half those miles of total ownership.

There are things you do for performance, or piece of mind. But plugs on modern efi fourstrokes is not one of them.

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please sir tell me where you can get 9 gallons of gas for $30 😅 Gas is $6.99 for 87 octane at the nearest marina to me (which I can't/won't even use since I have a 195). And about $5.50/gal for premium at the pump if I want to trailer up.

I recently had a cylinder misfire on my minivan (V6 Honda) and I could hear it well before it threw an error code. I did change those plugs, disabled the VCM, and that fixed the light and the misfire.

I feel good about leaving my plugs in the boat until next season at this point. Thanks, all!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Please sir tell me where you can get 9 gallons of gas for $30 😅 Gas is $6.99 for 87 octane at the nearest marina to me (which I can't/won't even use since I have a 195). And about $5.50/gal for premium at the pump if I want to trailer up.

I recently had a cylinder misfire on my minivan (V6 Honda) and I could hear it well before it threw an error code. I did change those plugs, disabled the VCM, and that fixed the light and the misfire.

I feel good about leaving my plugs in the boat until next season at this point. Thanks, all!
You get the idea. Do what makes you comfortable. The manual is not a bad reference. You are are going to do well with your boat. and it will serve you well. At least you asked.

sorry your gas is so expensive. We don’t have a marina on our lake.

IMG_0523.png