• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel Smell - Source Found!

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After sitting for a few weeks, everything is dry inside the boat. It has been too hot to even think about working on it (105-115F Heat Index) for the past few weeks and too many other things going on but yesterday I managed to try the test mentioned above.

I inspected the fill hose for potential tears/cracks and found no problems. I reinstalled with both of the existing hose clamps as they weren't broken as it appeared in the pictures.

The fuel tank was mostly full so I had a buddy drive me around while I watched for any leaks but didn't see any. I had rags wrapped around most areas of the top of the tank to help locate the source but they were completely dry. This included driving up a 10% grade and slamming on the brakes to slosh the fuel around.

Next - we drove a few miles to a convenience store and filled the tank completely full while I watched. Again, no leaks at all. Drove home (crossed rough railroad tracks, multiple steep hills, etc.) and... no sign of any fuel.

I'll continue to monitor but am quite frustrated. The only possible explanation is that something wasn't quite right with the fill hose where it attaches to the tank and removing and reinstalling the clamps solved that problem. I doubt this is the case but it is possible.

Thanks again for the advice.
-B

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you can't replicate the problem after making changes, it is very likely what you did solved it. Time to ride the boat and keep an eye on it.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sorry you didn't find the source but glad to hear it didn't happen again,

The biggest thing I've learned while owning a yamaha is you have to be aware of your boat,

my boat takes on water, especially while surfing, it's not uncommon for the bilge to be pumping while changing riders, I've got a leak I can't fix but I'm aware, a high water alarm and 2nd bilge are back ups

I always stop and check the oil once we've been on the water for 20 minutes, It gives me a peek at the engine compartment and not only allows me to confirm my oil level is right but that I don't have milky oil or a water leak,

I'd tell you, if you don't smell it now go enjoy your boat, make it a point to open you engine hatch before launch or after filling to see if you notice the smell and better pinpoint when it may be happening,

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good tips @Scottintexas - I need to remember to get in the habit of checking the oil, I always seem to forget.

Also - one of my blower motors isn't working. Looks like you can get a similar unit much cheaper than the direct replacement. Of course I'll have to check and make sure it isn't a bad wire/etc. Since I have a bit of a fuel vapor issue from time to time, I'm diligent about running the blowers and even open the side hatches where the air discharges to get better flow.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you sure you have 2 blowers? One hose might be for flow and not have a blower motor on it. That's how I think my 2008 works.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Opening the hatch and smelling around is a Very good idea while you monitor and make sure the issue is gone.

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here we go again.... (sigh)

With a full tank and a dry bilge... off to the lake I went with some friends. Backed off the trailer and while idling to the dock I opened the fuel tank hatch only to find fuel spraying all over the place from the Port fuel pump hose as it leaves the tank.

It took a while but I managed to get the banded clamp that I'd already replaced off and I had an assortment of hose clamps in my toolbox. First try, although less spray, we still had fuel leaking. Second try, no fuel leaking! I used several buckets of lake water to rinse everything off. Another good reason to install a lower bilge... I wasn't able to pump any of this water out as it was below the bilge in the engine bay.

We spend 4 hours wakeboarding and skiing and the boat ran great with no further leaks.

My next attempt to solve the problem for good will be to check the vent hose. If the vent hose is blocked, that might explain why when filling the fuel tank I was getting fuel on top of the tank if enough pressure built up in the tank.

Also, I think when I replaced the banded clamp on the fuel line, the line had been previously compressed so much that even with a new clamp there wasn't enough pressure on the nozzle. I'm going to cut off 1" or so of the hose and re-clamp. I don't trust the normal hose clamp. We broke the first one overtightening it.

The saga continues... I'll keep you posted.

BTW - surely I'm not the only one who loves to take these boats full speed and turn the steering wheel completely to the left and see if I can get the boat to go in a flat spin similar to a jet ski. Even without the flat spin, these things will pull some good G's in a hard turn. I had to give each of my buddies a chance to drive.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad you found a problem while it was occurring,

I'm confused, you found the problem, fixed it, ran for 4 hours without any additional fuel smell,

what more is to fix ( other than replace the fuel hose or put a better band on it )

If your concerned about the vent hose, I personally don't think that would have leak when filling, it would have had to go through the fuel pump to leak out that bad line, I would think if there was that much back pressure from a clogged vent line it would have backed up the fill hose first,

keep experimenting and tracking stuff down though, it will give you a lot of confidence in your boat when it's all fixed,

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't disagree with your thinking that it is unlikely that a clogged vent caused enough pressure to push fuel out of the leak, it is just something I need to check as I think it was possible.

I had previously ordered hoses but didn't notice they were on backorder and after waiting a month (and thinking I had resolved the problem), I cancelled it.

Yes - I'm concerned about the longevity of my on the water fix and am only redoing it for some peace of mind. :)

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To the best of my memory, the fuel line connection at the fuel pump on my boat has a “quick connect” fitting and not a clamp. Also, the outlet from the pump is plastic. Did yours come from the factory with a clamp there?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
To the best of my memory, the fuel line connection at the fuel pump on my boat has a “quick connect” fitting and not a clamp. Also, the outlet from the pump is plastic. Did yours come from the factory with a clamp there?
Not an 05, but this is the top of my 07 tank. Yep, got the hatch off without breaking any bolts.

20170515_142506_001.jpg

20170515_143914.jpg

Last edited:

BrandonC_OK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are partially correct. Mine is the same as yours.

There is a quick connect under that square black cover. There is also a banded clamp around the hose where slides over the fitting that attaches to the quick connect. In your second picture that clamp is just below the square black cover.

Of note, just below that is a guide that holds the hose. If you move the hose around in the engine back, that guide can help work the hose off of the fitting. If you ever have fuel on the top of your tank, that is the first thing I would check.