• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Never again you POS salt away dispenser.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The lifted slip we keep out boat on has AWESOME water pressure. I have a splitter and run both engines at the same time, never an overheat. BUT, the Crappy cheap salt-away dispensers don't handle the pressure very well...they would last about 3 months before they would break one way or another. Well, never again!

With some research and a topic I found on The Hull Truth, I bought this bad boy. Made for pressure washers, works awesome. I got the horizontal reservoir but the vertical one would probably work fine too. Just have to lay at an angle.

Reviews aren't great and it does drip from around the housing but no big deal. If it lasts one year, It's a win. MUCH easier to open and close than the plastic threads on the salt away and since I'm doing 2 engines at once, it holds plenty of solution. (Sometimes dawn detergent sometimes salt away.)

Available at your neighborhood home depot 20.00 or on amazon.com.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Green-Earth-G-Clean-High-Pressure-Detergent-Injector-for-Pressure-Washers-AP31024B/100665184

Not sure if the ratio is 100% the same but it seemed to turn clear in the res about the same amount of time the salt away dispenser did.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will have to look into that. It's gotta help some. Currently I pour the salt away into the hose then connect it and when I turn it on it runs the water and the product through the line but this seems it would give a better feed.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good find! My Salt Away dispenser is the same horrible quality. Sprays out more around the seal than going into the hose. I end up with more salt away in the boat than going through my engine. I'll pick one of these up next time I'm in Home Depot.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I've been using one of these since last season as well. I do find that it either adds way too much Salt Away or not enough/closed off completely. The build quality is very good though. I like the metal threads.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I've been using one of these since last season as well. I do find that it either adds way too much Salt Away or not enough/closed off completely. The build quality is very good though. I like the metal threads.
I wonder if it's possible to "throttle" it....find a dial setting in between water only and product that would dispense less. I didn't really notice that. It turned slowly clear over about 2 minutes, seemed ok to me.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I wonder if it's possible to "throttle" it....find a dial setting in between water only and product that would dispense less. I didn't really notice that. It turned slowly clear over about 2 minutes, seemed ok to me.
Yeah I tried that and it didn't seem to work. It seems to be either dispense or water only.

For the record, I never used the "official" Salt Away one because I read so many complaints about it. So maybe I am the problem. ;)

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Good tip. My salt-a-away disp also leaks a lot. The flush ports on the boat are also partly to blame with me though.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This thing still treating you good, @Big Shasta ? I reckon I need to snag something before Bimini, and it seems there isn't a well reviewed one available anywhere in all of the world wide web.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
if you're blowing the seal, your water pressure is beyond the intended psi of the Salt Away unit. go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy a reducer to keep the pressure 60psi or less. even if it is blowing the seal now, the addition of the reducer will likely make the mixer usable again.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This thing still treating you good, @Big Shasta ? I reckon I need to snag something before Bimini, and it seems there isn't a well reviewed one available anywhere in all of the world wide web.
I found the same problem. I only ended up using it a few times before the new owners picked up the boat. It dripped a little where the plastic reservoir met but nothing at all serious.

if you're blowing the seal, your water pressure is beyond the intended psi of the Salt Away unit. go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy a reducer to keep the pressure 60psi or less. even if it is blowing the seal now, the addition of the reducer will likely make the mixer usable again.
I agree 100% but I wasn't willing to give up my extreme water pressure that allowed me to flush both engines at once on the slip. Also, the res is so big on the new one that you can do both engines on one fill of salt away even if you are doing them individually.

On a side note, the picture is a little misleading, the turn between water to solution is only about a 1/10th of a turn. Real small turn.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think I am going to pick this up. Ive had the Salt-way model and it lasted almost 2 yrs...not bad i guess. Anyone here build a contraption like this on there own with parts from the local hardware store
??

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice find! The salt-a-way dispensers come with the high pressure warning printed on that little piece of paper in the resevoir that nobody reads! Lol.
I do enjoy the option to flush with fresh water only then switch to the solution but I'll keep this in mind for when mine breaks next time.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
One other issue I had was the salt away canister was easy to overtighten and I'd have to really muscle it off the next time I tried to fill it. Probably because I overtightened it putting it on but the new one is much easier to open and close also.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used the salt away container for the first time when we pulled out of Bimini. Also used @MrMoose 's when I couldn't find my engine flush adapter. I'd say both were ok. However, got back to @DieselCamel 's house and used this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OA66IG0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004GNZYY4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1A3YRD76EQ3239WBH6A0

with a small electric pressure washer. Obviously not very convenient at the dock, but holy shit is this 1000 times better. Now I'm confident in my first salt de-tox experience.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Salt a way (CRC stuff) doesn't quite foam this well but it does a decent bit. Definitely makes clean up painless

FB_IMG_1436735483027.jpg

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used the salt away container for the first time when we pulled out of Bimini. Also used @MrMoose 's when I couldn't find my engine flush adapter. I'd say both were ok. However, got back to @DieselCamel 's house and used this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OA66IG0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004GNZYY4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1A3YRD76EQ3239WBH6A0

with a small electric pressure washer. Obviously not very convenient at the dock, but holy shit is this 1000 times better. Now I'm confident in my first salt de-tox experience.
@veedubtek , did you find your adapter yet? It might be in your Yamaha tool kit.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sure did @MrMoose ! It was in the helm, but had fallen into a small gap at the bottom of the door. Thanks again!