• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 Yamaha SR210 Wake Surf setup

Ken J

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2006 Yamaha SR210
Just looking for the best way to set things up to wake surf I have a wake shaper will this work

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2006 Yamaha SR210
Just looking for the best way to set things up to wake surf I have a wake shaper will this work
Hi @Ken J, surfing a jet boat is a science all its own. The typical shapers that mount in the side of the boat don't really work well due to the jet wash. The shapers are designed to create a delayed convergence of the wake. When applied to a jet boat it forces counter steer and the counter steer forces the jet wash back into the wave defeating any positive effect.

What our boats need most is ballast. These boats are light weight and don't displace a lot of water. Weighing down the rear surf side corner with ballast in the swim deck seems to be the most effective location. It causes the boat to both lean and dig. More ballast in the ski locker will help balance out the boat to help it plane and lengthen the wave. @jcyamaharider has created a custom bag that fits perfectly on the swim deck with the ideal amount of ballast needed. I think he will also have a good idea of what ballast fits your ski locker. You'll find more information here:

And on their website here:

They also make what I think is the best wake shaping device available for Yamaha boats. The Wake Wedge (also on the website above). The combo together are phenomenal at creating a surfable wave.

When you're ready to look at boards let me know. I am a dealer for Slingshot, O'Brien, JetPilot, & Airhead. I can help you select the best board option and I'm always willing to give members our best price. Feel free to reach out anytime.

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@J-RAD sure knows his stuff!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Tthor55

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wedge and weight as above, but you will need to add speed control. Near impossible to keep the correct speed for surfing manually. Perfect Pass PerfectPass for Yamaha Jet Boats | Perfectpass.com or Ridesteady Ridesteady GPS Speed Control for Yamaha Jet Boats | HYDROPHASE LLC I believe your SR doesn't require the servo models.
So I am wondering why it is impossible to keep that perfect speed. And really why is it necessary? Are there really that big of changes to your speed while you surf? If you keep your throttle handle in the
same location would it really change that much? I mean to make a difference to the surfer?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I am wondering why it is impossible to keep that perfect speed. And really why is it necessary? Are there really that big of changes to your speed while you surf? If you keep your throttle handle in the
same location would it really change that much? I mean to make a difference to the surfer?
Not impossible, but it definitely is an aid. Constancy is important, and very really 10.2mph and 10.4mph can be the difference between going ropeless and falling out the back of the wave. The Ridesteady maintains an accurate speed to the nearest .1mph. You can be fairly accurate without but you will have to give it attention.

Personally we found that maintaining consistent wakeboarding speeds was a bit more challenging. The boat would have the tendency to gradually creep up or down on plane at those speeds and effect the speed. It required constant monitoring.

That's the beauty of Ridesteady. You set the speed, throttle and then you can focus on driving. The bonus feature for twin engine owners is that whether or not it is actively managing your speed, it had the ability to digitally synchronize the RPMs to one another. I now won't own a boat without GPS speed control. It's become a necessity.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Not impossible, but it definitely is an aid. Constancy is important, and very really 10.2mph and 10.4mph can be the difference between going ropeless and falling out the back of the wave. The Ridesteady maintains an accurate speed to the nearest .1mph. You can be fairly accurate without but you will have to give it attention.

Personally we found that maintaining consistent wakeboarding speeds was a bit more challenging. The boat would have the tendency to gradually creep up or down on plane at those speeds and effect the speed. It required constant monitoring.

That's the beauty of Ridesteady. You set the speed, throttle and then you can focus on driving. The bonus feature for twin engine owners is that whether or not it is actively managing your speed, it had the ability to digitally synchronize the RPMs to one another. I now won't own a boat without GPS speed control. It's become a necessity.
Wish yammy would take notes from Ridesteady for the control in the x series boats.