• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2023 AR195 Bilge Pump Operation

surfcalavera

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey guys! I have a 2023 Yamaha AR195, I’ve been using the boat for 10 months now. I’m curious and kind of concerned about how the bilge pump operates since I have seen water coming out of the bilge port only one time after I did a deep wash inside the boat. Here comes my questions:
1. How many bilge pumps does this boat have?
2. The pump that is in the motor compartment is the lower point of the boat?
3. What is the best way to test the pump beside testing voltage?
4. How much water have to get inside the boat to see it pumping out?

My questions comes to my head since last weekend I got lets say 15 gallons inside the boat while I was on the water and did not see any water been pumped out.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and experience on this.

steelhorse454

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey surfcalavera-

I have the same boat and have only splashed it 3 times thus far, so I'll try to be of some help.

1. I believe only 1 pump to the front right side of the motor as you mentioned.
2. Yes, I assumed the same thing.
3. I turn my pump on and off a few times while on the water, just in case. You could also run a hose on low pressure right at the pump while on the trailer to test it, but I have not done this yet. I also check the engine compartment, and pull open the access hatch on the swim platform to check for water a time or 2 when I'm out. So far, my boat has been bone dry on my 3 outings, but I'm not running it too hard yet.
4. Can't answer that one for you since mine has been dry.

Maybe I offered a little help here. I would say for peace of mind, check these things while on the water from time to time, anchored or beached....
I have also heard some guys saying that they add a second bilge pump.
In addition, some guys have switched to pumps with a float switch that kicks on automatically. Not sure our boats have this feature.

Good Luck-
Jim

surfcalavera

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey Jim,

Thanks for your comments. After analyzing more deeply the operation of the pump and asking some friends, some water in the bottom is normal since the impeler of the pump is not able to suck it (that water drain out when opening the drain plugs). Now next step is test the pump running some water to the bilge and see how it works in both auto and manual mode. I’ll share the results.

keytoparadise

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I've had some of the same questions. If I find anything out I'll post.

surfcalavera

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
keytoparadise, I've found out that these boats actually are very good draining the water out. In order to see the pump working lots of water must get in the engine compartment; I have seen the pump working only two times, one was after a deep wash I made to boat where I intentionally ran the water inside the boat to wash out all the dirt. The other occasion was at the ramp when I backed up with the plugs open which immediately flooded the engine compartment making the pump start automatically.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Bilge is Automatic. Even if the dash switch is off, when there is water in the bilge, it will run. at least thats how it is on my boat

surfcalavera

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
blacksapphirez have you tried with the battery master switch in the off position? I think it works even like that

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
blacksapphirez have you tried with the battery master switch in the off position? I think it works even like that
can't be... if there is no power, it can't run.

Gap22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get caught on good rain. It'll cut on then. Other than that or while hosing down the inside, my hasn't cut on.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Automatic bilge usually have 4 wires and the pump will have a built in flote switch............... this type of pump will work when main batt switch is off and switch is off. It is wired direct to batt and when flote switch is raised from water it turns on. Usually this type of pump has a test knob on the pump you can twist by hand to turn on pump. This type of flote pump has one problem the flote switch can stick closed or open(on) if debrie gets shucked into pump housing. Could run batt down if stuck on or not come on if stuck closed.

I do not see any Yamaha pumps in parts book that use and external flote switch so I don't believe yours is this type.

Most Yamaha pumps are automatic that only work when the main batt switch is on..............the pump has a circuit built into it that comes on every 2 min to test if water is in the bilge the pump runs about 3 sec looking for water........ the pump stays on if pump feels water resistance....it pumps as long as water is present then shuts off. This can run batt down over time if you do not add a charger when boat is not in use.

Your pump shape on a visual photo is shaped like a flote switch but Yamaha is vary secretive about publishing how the pump works unless you purchase repair manuals for you boat and year. If it has a flote and automatic circuit you have hit the jack pot it will work with main batt switch off and not run your batts down if you have no way to plug a charger in.

surfcalavera

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The pump actually is connected directly to the battery so it will operate even if the main switch is off