• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce i had the very same assessment. One interesting idea that it did pop in my head though was to split the trip up. Even though I don't have the ability to at the drop of a dime take ten days off and do this I do have the ability to take any weekend off and get my boat or skis to Nassau and fly back out. Which means I could wait for good weather and get there then store which ever I got there. At that point plan the Exumas trip with just flying back into Nassau that would eliminate most of the travel to where you could actually enjoy your time there. Also with only truly committing yourself to getting the vessel back to Nassau unless weather was great and then heading all the way back if not waiting for a good weekend of weather to return to Nassau to get the vessel. Not saying I'm planning to do this but it did open my mind to other possibilities that maybe more realistic other then planning this trip a year in advance and praying for good weather. If your starting point was Nassau you would likely get acceptable crossing weather at some point over a week during June or July to get to the Exumas once again just kind of spit balling an idea. I truly think you could make Nassau in one day if you picked the correct weather.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So what you're saying is that we need to pool our money together and buy a place in the Bahamas?

I LOVE THAT IDEA!!!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So what you're saying is that we need to pool our money together and buy a place in the Bahamas?

I LOVE THAT IDEA!!!
Love the train of thought but just guessing it would take a bunch of us throwing in to make that a reality lol. renting storage or a slip sounds like a lot less risk as long as insurance will cover the vessel while its there. Once again just spit balling as I'm a little apprehensive about taking a jet boat that far. As silly as it sounds I would be more comfortable with doing it on the skis.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe I missed it but I don't remember the videos describing why that hauled them to Miami a month early. Are you just making an educated guess that they were waiting for weather. I figured they shipped it in advance because they didn't plan on driving from TX to Miami. If it was due to weather they picked a pretty lousy time because other then the crossing to Bimini the weather wasn't good. If I remember correctly, they stated they faced 4 to 5 footers just past Sapona and had 90 miles to go. Their 2nd day they were on the water for 10 hours.

I also didn't think they cut their trip short due to weather but rather equipment failures. The first being the fact that they lost one ski due to the hole in the oil pan. The 2nd issue was that they lost one of their two GPS. I might be completely wrong, but I kind of assumed that after the GPS failure, it gave them an extra reason not to make the long journey back riding 2 up. No way I would have rode on the back of a ski for that long either. Had the ski not failed I bet they would have traveled through the Berry islands like they had originally planned, but I could certainly be wrong.

I don't think you can pull off such a trip without a bunch of planning and ultimately hoping and taking your chances on the weather. I just don't think you can plan to evade the weather as its just to unpredictable when traveling that distance. If the weather doesn't play along, then you plan contingency options along the way. For example, if the crossing is rough from FL to Bimini then you need to plan on staying in Bimini a night before heading to Chub as opposed to trying to fit Chub in on the first day.

In short, you plan the best you can for safety, contingencies, etc. and hope that the weather cooperates. If not, then you go back home. Travel insurance/cancellation insurance might be a good thing to have for any significant commitments.

It's an unpredictable journey and that's part of the intrigue for me. Not having full control of the many variables certainly gets your attention.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe I missed it but I don't remember the videos describing why that hauled them to Miami a month early. Are you just making an educated guess that they were waiting for weather. I figured they shipped it in advance because they didn't plan on driving from TX to Miami. If it was due to weather they picked a pretty lousy time because other then the crossing to Bimini the weather wasn't good. If I remember correctly, they stated they faced 4 to 5 footers just past Sapona and had 90 miles to go. Their 2nd day they were on the water for 10 hours.

I also didn't think they cut their trip short due to weather but rather equipment failures. The first being the fact that they lost one ski due to the hole in the oil pan. The 2nd issue was that they lost one of their two GPS. I might be completely wrong, but I kind of assumed that after the GPS failure gave them an extra reason not make the long journey back riding 2 up. No way I would have rode on the back of a ski for that long either. Had the ski not failed I bet they would have traveled through the Berry islands like they had originally planned, but I could certainly be wrong.

I don't think you can pull off such a trip without a bunch of planning and ultimately hoping and taking your chances on the weather. I just don't think you can plan to evade the weather as its just to unpredictable when traveling that distance. If the weather doesn't play along, then you plan contingency options along the way. For example, if the crossing is rough from FL to Bimini then you need to plan on staying in Bimini a night before heading to Chub as opposed to trying to fit Chub in on the first day.

In short, you plan the best you can for safety, contingencies, etc. and hope that the weather cooperates. If not, then you go back home. Travel insurance/cancellation insurance might be a good thing to have for any significant commitments.

It's an unpredictable journey and that's part of the intriThjegue for me. Not having full control of the many variables certainly gets your attention.
Most of this is educated guesses but if you were going to ship your skis to Miami for a trip you would not do so over a month in advance unless you had the flexibility to wait on weather. They said in their comments on the last video "The skis are now in storage, waiting for the next opportunity for us to return for more fun" also that they knew they were ending the trip there. If the intent was to come all the way back then you would have flown the one person home from Nassau not the whole group and left the skis. The fact that they skipped the Berry's where I'm assuming they had reservations would also lead to @Bruce point money wasn't really a factor in there trip as they probably had reservations there and just skipped them and went closer and changed their plans. Also basically just leaving a ski and not having Sea tow come get it tells me that a $7000 ski was not a worry to them. As I mentioned before they did this trip the correct way for someone who doesn't live in Florida. They probably picked there weather based on forecast but things change fast out there. Look at our Bimini trip this year the seas were a little worse then projected 8 hours before we left.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Who knows the factors that lead to their decision for leaving the skis in Nassau, but they certainly had plans to return to Miami on their skis after visiting the Berry Islands. Those plans were altered after losing a ski and one of their GPS. The below is what I remember seeing and why I explained my thought process above.

Money certainly wasn't their main concern but rather accomplishing a journey. I definitely agree with that. The weather we experienced on the way to Bimini is why I think trying to project weather at the last minute might not matter all that much once its all said and done. It just seems to change to frequently and all of these videos have instances of good water and instances of roughly water. It seems to be a part of the journey.

My theory is if you get manageable water you go, if not, you cancel and vacation in South FL for a week. That would still be a nice consolation prize. Unless you have the capacity to come and go how you want, which I would imagine most do not, hoping and praying for good weather is about all you can do. Plan the rest and have options if weather doesn't work out.

upload_2015-10-13_1-15-30.png

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Reading that slide I assumed that they had abandoned plans to continue further due to the 4 foot waves. But I could see your perspective as well that they decided to stay in The Exhumas because one of their GPS units was lost destroyed by the waves.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Reading that slide I assumed that they had abandoned plans to continue further due to the 4 foot waves. But I could see your perspective as well that they decided to stay in The Exhumas because one of their GPS units was lost destroyed by the waves.
I can imagine that after getting rough waters again, and having to ride 2 men on a single ski across such conditions since the other broke, the thought of the long journey back became less appealing. I bet even if the GPS had not failed they would have still altered their original plans. I just know how I felt crossing over to Bimini in sloppy seas and I couldn't imagine trying to hold on to a seat strap as a back passenger in such conditions. That last leg back to Nassau had to be brutal for those two guys.

For not having a support boat, this was a pretty impressive trip and I'm amazed they recorded as much as they did.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have to say that the 2015 Bimini trip was the best vacation that I have ever been on and I am looking forward to going back. I'm not crazy about the risks, costs, and logistics associated with venturing too far beyond Bimini, but what do y'all think about the idea of adding on an extra day /night or two to next year's Bimini trip where we leave the comfortable Bimini Sands Resort and spend a night or two (weather dependant) camping on some small island nearby? My main concern would be safety from any modern day pirates that may get wind of us.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have to say that the 2015 Bimini trip was the best vacation that I have ever been on and I am looking forward to going back. I'm not crazy about the risks, costs, and logistics associated with venturing too far beyond Bimini, but what do y'all think about the idea of adding on an extra day /night or two to next year's Bimini trip where we leave the comfortable Bimini Sands Resort and spend a night or two (weather dependant) camping on some small island nearby? My main concern would be safety from any modern day pirates that may get wind of us.
Bimini 2016 will happen. There may also be an Exhumas 2016.

I do not believe that pirates are a real threat around Bimini but talking to locals they are more of an issue around Andros.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I looked into camping once and I believe it is very much frowned upon. Not 100% sure it was illegal though. Need to call and make sure that it is OK because it seemed to be up to their interpretation of the law.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anybody remember the group of skis that came later in the week? Here is their video. Check out one of them taking on water around the 8:45 mark. I've seen Seadoos do this but not so much Yamaha. Anybody know why or how that happened? Later in the video they thank the "Amazing Grace" boat for rescuing the ski. It took them 9 hours!. I can't believe the didn't run out of gas. I met one them and they didn't mention any of this, so I'm assuming they got spread apart at some point.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The reality is that the skis can not carry enough fuel to get there on their own.

Of course, this statement may compel them to prove me wrong.
The skis where able to carry enough fuel to make it lol ;) now that said with fuel racks and straps breaking I think some fuel wound up on boats but I dont know that it was ever needed. In Normans Cay the skis refueled as a precaution on the return with their own cans.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The skis where able to carry enough fuel to make it lol ;) now that said with fuel racks and straps breaking I think some fuel wound up on boats but I dont know that it was ever needed. In Normans Cay the skis refueled as a precaution on the return with their own cans.
Did they carry their own food, clothing, etc? Or were some supplies carried by the boats?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did they carry their own food, clothing, etc? Or were some supplies carried by the boats?
I must have missed the supplies part of the debate all I saw was they couldn't carry enough fuel to make it. They did have supplies on the boat but they also had people on the boats which would be one of the main reasons they had supplies on the boats. Could the skis have carried all their own stuff to sustain the guys on skis absolutely they could have no question. In reality I'm starting to subscribe more to @1948Isaac philosophy on these trips pack some clothes, some tools, required electronics and 3 bottles of water and go. Packing any real amount of food on these trips is almost a waist just eat out. Every Island we stopped at had food and or dining facilities and all were reasonably priced. In staniels a burger and fries was $13. I think the breakfast plate was $12. So that is breakfast and dinner covered for $25 a day per person its not worth carrying the cooler packed with stuff buying $10 bags of ice along the way to try and keep it cold.