• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY Steering Cable Luber

adamncincy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just picked up 2020 210 FSH and unfortunately has the stiff steering issues noted by others in this thread. Has anyone tried pushing gear lube from the steering assembly in the helm or filling the steering assembly and try to gravity feed the lube? Without disassembling the assembly I can't tell for sure but I assume the gear lube could work down the cables from this end. Any help would be great!
Hi Gorilla, I tried pumping oil through cables using air compressor. When that didn't work, I bought two new cables on Amazon and installed myself. Feel free to send me a DM if you have any questions.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's worth a try to extend the life if you are in a pinch, but the difference is night and day, the new cables are an awesome investment.

Look for the cable from the cable manufacturer per this thread to get them for a better price.

adamncincy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's worth a try to extend the life if you are in a pinch, but the difference is night and day, the new cables are an awesome investment.

Look for the cable from the cable manufacturer per this thread to get them for a better price.
Totally agree with this and I'll go as far to say that it's probably temporary. Go ahead and replace cables. Simple job.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I try to do an annual oil lube with compressed air. Seems like it doesn't hardly go in, but so far my steering is smooth and easy. My boat is a 2018, some salt water, but not a lot.

mike230kv

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
View attachment 38953 View attachment 38954 View attachment 38955 View attachment 38956

I finally got around to lubing my steering cables. This is a setup I have used on many rusted e-brake cables with excellent results. Same principle as a cable luber for a motorcycle. The lubes is made from:

-3' of 1/2" ID heater hose
-1ea 1/2" threaded valve stem (like a tire). The idea is to be able to thread into the hose.
- 3ea 5/8" hose clamps and
- 1ea 1/2" hose clamp.
- some synthetic motor or gear oil.

The idea is to attach the hose over the steering cable with the clamps, fill the hose with synthetic oil, thread in the valve stem, secure it with a clamp and then pressurize with a bicycle pump. The pressure forces the oil through the cable casing to lube the cable. I put a large rag at the cable exit under the helm to catch any oil that comes out the other end. I had trouble with the oil getting forces out the rubber flex fitting so had to put the small hose clamp on it. I left it on to keep water out of the cable. Cam.
That's super cool